THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Tires: similar performance to PSS but longer lasting?

12-10-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
icycoldd
Private
Rep
Drives: AW M240i

Tires: similar performance to PSS but longer lasting?

Hi,

I'm shopping for rear tires. A quick forum search showed that continenetal extreme contacts are a nice alternative to PSS and last slightly longer. I've also seen the Michellin AS/3 suggested. Hankook ventus and Nitto NT05's seem to have good reviews as well.

With year-round warm weather and somewhat frequent rain (South Florida), should I stick to PSS or what should I be looking at for a nice performance/durability mix?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

The A/S 3+ should be the answer...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

I got 16k out of my stock rear PSS, which I think is pretty good. Looks like the fronts will go double that. Just ordered new rears in 255/35-18. I've run Continental DW summer tires on another car and they didn't last any longer than the PSS. How many miles did you get?
      12-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Yes, the MICHELIN AS/3 PSS I find to be very durable and good performance. When I was running the MICHELIN PSS Summer Tire I had a constant issue with nail punctures and sidewall bubbles (all of which could have been luck and my driving). With the A/S 3 I haven't had any issues and have had wear at a reduced rate.
There are times in the warm weather I wish I had summer tires for their extreme performance - it could be psychological, I think I'm not cornering in the dry or rain as fast and lack a certain feel running the all season, but it just might be me imagining.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #5
icycoldd
Private
Rep

Would you all say similarly priced Hankooks/Nitto's aren't on par with Michellin AS/3?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icycoldd View Post
Would you all say similarly priced Hankooks/Nitto's aren't on par with Michellin AS/3?
I don't think so... but I haven't personally tried them....

For me the PSS is the best street tire you can get... perfect balance between ride and performance....

The A/S 3 is basically an all season PSS with barely no loss in performance and less tread wear

I wouldn't think about it and get the A/S 3
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
The A/S 3+ should be the answer...
Why would he need an all-season tire in South Florida?

On the subject: Anything with a performance similar to MPSS is going to have a similar short life. Nothing mentioned above is going to quite match the Michelin's comfort, though. If rain is a consideration those Nittos and Hankooks may not be the best options, plus they'll wear similar or faster than MPSS, minus comfort. Nothing is quite the same blend of characteristics as the MPSS. If longevity is the main concern, sadly, you've got to be ready to sacrifice performance. So why bother if you already know that MPSS works so well for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Tire adhesion is inverse to tire wear, just like brakes. The MPSS tires and the new MPS4 tires are undoubtedly the best street-based high performance tire out there. Lots and lots of comparison tests and data supports this fact. I've tried all sorts of tires over the years and the MPSS tires are by far the best. They're quiet, the ride well, they wear exceptionally well, and they stick hard once warm. My biggest issue with them is the traction is pretty bad once the temps go below 65ish. When the MSP4 comes out in the M235 size, I'll get those because they're even better (a little stickier, stiffer sidewall).

Going with something with a higher tread wear will result in less grip and feel and you'll know it if you do any 7/10 or more driving, especially if you go with an all season performance tire. Lastly, many tires may have higher tread wear ratings but may actually wear out quicker, especially cheaper makes.

My stock MPSS tires have ~15K on them. They're about 60% worn. I'll definitely get 25K out of them. That's pretty good and I drive the car fairly hard (no track use though).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Hi,

I'm shopping for rear tires. A quick forum search showed that continenetal extreme contacts are a nice alternative to PSS and last slightly longer. I've also seen the Michellin AS/3 suggested. Hankook ventus and Nitto NT05's seem to have good reviews as well.

With year-round warm weather and somewhat frequent rain (South Florida), should I stick to PSS or what should I be looking at for a nice performance/durability mix?
I feel your pain on how frequently these cars need tires. But, since you stated you are shopping for rear tires, I'm assuming you are not changing the front tires? Having different tire brands front and rear will result in degraded performance no matter what tire you are getting for the rear. Sidewall stiffness, rubber compound, tread design and width differences will create an unknown mix of handling. That's OK for a commuter car, but if you push the car to the edge of it's performance envelope the results would be unpredictable at best.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Why would he need an all-season tire in South Florida?

On the subject: Anything with a performance similar to MPSS is going to have a similar short life. Nothing mentioned above is going to quite match the Michelin's comfort, though. If rain is a consideration those Nittos and Hankooks may not be the best options, plus they'll wear similar or faster than MPSS, minus comfort. Nothing is quite the same blend of characteristics as the MPSS. If longevity is the main concern, sadly, you've got to be ready to sacrifice performance. So why bother if you already know that MPSS works so well for you?
well basically cause it has almost the same performance... g-force , stopping distance but it lasts more... and has 45k warranty instead of 30k

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=218
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

In UHPAS compare the AS+3 to the BFG Sport Comp 2 A/S. I use the BFG and at half the price it isn't half the performance according to TireRack. I'm on the wear bars at almost 40k miles.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #12
icycoldd
Private
Rep

Looks like I'll stick to PSS then. Also, with no track use at all and semi-spirited driving -- should the rear tires have exposed wear bars at 9k miles? I posted about this a while back and I'm baffled at how some of you are getting upwards of 16k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Looks like I'll stick to PSS then. Also, with no track use at all and semi-spirited driving -- should the rear tires have exposed wear bars at 9k miles? I posted about this a while back and I'm baffled at how some of you are getting upwards of 16k miles.
Is the wear bar flush with the rest of the tread.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The only way MPSS tires are at the wear bars with 9K miles is with lots of spinning, burnouts, and/or some track use.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #15
icycoldd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Is the wear bar flush with the rest of the tread.
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:31 PM   #16
icycoldd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The only way MPSS tires are at the wear bars with 9K miles is with lots of spinning, burnouts, and/or some track use.
That's what I'm saying! My "sprited driving" consists of sport driving, not even sport+, none of the spinning/burnouts/0 track use.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's what I'm saying! My "sprited driving" consists of sport driving, not even sport+, none of the spinning/burnouts/0 track use.
Are you on spacers or wider than stock rims? That may have some impact.

Your driving style is probably more aggressive than you think. I've had two sets on MPSS tires. One set on my 2012 WRX and the OEM set on my M235. I'm a pretty hard street driver. My MPSS tires on the WRX were close to 50% worn (uniformly) after 15K miles. Couldn't spin the tires on that car. On my M235, my fronts are 60% worn after 15K miles, maybe a bit more on the outer sidewalls. The rears are maybe 50%. I spin those rear tires a lot too.

I've never heard of MPSS tires wearing after 9K miles unless they were being used on the track, burnouts, etc.

Last edited by XutvJet; 12-12-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #18
icycoldd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Are you on spacers or wider than stock rims?
I only installed wider wheels last week, so the tires in the back were already this bad.

And based on the description of your driving on the streets, I would say I'm less aggressive than that. Based on this I've called Michellin and they are setting up an appointment to get my tires inspected -- in hopes of applying the 15k warranty credit. I'm worried cause I've already driven 9k miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

I blame that torquey B58 then.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #20
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's really weird.... i got 21K out of mine and the rear had some left but the front were gone cause of of the extra camber from the M4 LCA

Not sure how you can wear them at 9k... was the wear even across the whole width of the tire?

Maybe check the alignment....maybe you have a lot of toe in or something and you are just dragging the tire around
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      12-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #21
overcoil
Major General
Rep

I'm in Maryland (cooler winter temps) and if I recall correctly by 10k miles my rears were quite worn - but wear bar may not have been flush - I had to be carful in rain because the channels were very shallow on the tread. My front shoulders also wore rapidly.
In like 20k miles maybe even less I went through six MPSS - wear, sidewall-bubble and nails.
Running the Michelin pilot A/S 3 presently and saving money with their durability.

I don't power slide or spin rears but more into high speed straights and high speed cornering and some very heavy braking.

Last edited by overcoil; 12-14-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #22
icycoldd
Private
Rep

I’m being told by tire kingdom that the cause of such wear would be the camber induced on the car after the h and r springs were installed and aligned. Of course, I have no proof that the tires were already wearing badly before springs. I can only hope the camber can be corrected so that I don’t go through the tires so fast on the springs. I don’t recall reading about accelerated tire wear on h and r springs on these forums.
Appreciate 0