THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New 228i Owner Tips and Tricks

10-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Dman45
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Mineral Gray, Sport

New 228i Owner Tips and Tricks

Hey all,

Over the weekend I ended up getting a 2016, Mineral Grey 228i automatic with the sport package (Afters years of wanting a BMW, I finally pulled the trigger!). I've been going through the forums trying to find a wholesome introduction guide or tips and tricks for newbies like me, but have yet to find something like this. (I could be totally wrong and there is a thread already, if so link and we can close this one.)

So, me being a completely new driver to this 228i and to BMW, does anyone have any tips,tricks, or must knows that can help better me behind the wheel of this beaut or make my experience that much better than it already is?

(Even the little things, like plugging my phone via USB over plugging it in via Bluetooth has X,Y, and Z advantages are greatly welcomed and appreciated)
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I'll go first

If you move the side mirror selector switch to the left it will point the passenger mirror down when the car is in reverse. Allows you to see the curb when you're parallel parking.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Continuing the mirror theme - if you fold them in after washing it dumps all the water out.
Appreciate 2
raleedy160.00
      10-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #4
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Continuing the mirror theme - if you fold them in after washing it dumps all the water out.
Ugh, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier! I always forget this car has folding mirrors. Nothing worse than spending two hours hand washing the car and drying it properly, to go down the road and have what seems like a 1/2L of water spraying down the fender/doors on each side
      10-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #5
xtremcarl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Ugh, don't know why I didn't think of that earlier! I always forget this car has folding mirrors. Nothing worse than spending two hours hand washing the car and drying it properly, to go down the road and have what seems like a 1/2L of water spraying down the fender/doors on each side
Your not alone in that boat. 2 years of trying to vacuum it out and push in towels to get as much out as possible. Will def be doing this next time.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremcarl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Your not alone in that boat. 2 years of trying to vacuum it out and push in towels to get as much out as possible. Will def be doing this next time.
Just use a leaf blower to dry your car and fold ur mirrors in. You will never have drip spots after a wash again. It also keeps the window frames dry so you can roll down your windows after a wash and not have to worry about streaks.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Just use a leaf blower to dry your car and fold ur mirrors in. You will never have drip spots after a wash again. It also keeps the window frames dry so you can roll down your windows after a wash and not have to worry about streaks.
Hmm I have a leaf blower, too... I always thought they spat out sand etc and wouldn't be good for that application. Did come across this not too long ago from Chemical Guys, and am considering it for my xmas wish list,

10-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #8
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I'll go first

If you move the side mirror selector switch to the left it will point the passenger mirror down when the car is in reverse. Allows you to see the curb when you're parallel parking.
I didn't know that, both of my mirrors on my X3 go down in reverse and I thought the same would happen with my 228. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:01 PM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
I use the other end of my detailing vacuum, works great.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
Dman45
Rep

All awesome tips so far! Definitely taking notes for the mirrors when paralleling.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4
Wow, never thought of that. I'm definitely doing this on the next wash.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
tinyTIM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235 xdrive

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Here is the old "Tips & Tricks" thread for reference......

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207548

I also do the mirror fold when drying the car, but haven't tried the leaf blower yet. I usually wash the car in the garage and it is too dusty dirty in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
boypaulkim
Private
Rep
Drives: 230i

Quote:
I'll go first

not available without premium package option.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
Dman45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyTIM View Post
Here is the old "Tips & Tricks" thread for reference......

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1207548

I also do the mirror fold when drying the car, but haven't tried the leaf blower yet. I usually wash the car in the garage and it is too dusty dirty in there.

Thanks for this link! Apparently I don't know how to search correctly
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #15
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boypaulkim View Post
Correct.

Gentlemen (and ladies: I know there are a few), please realize what model he has: a 2016 228i M Sport. That's all the info he's given us. We need to be mindful of new owners who are not familiar with the ins and outs of the option list since we don't know what he has option-wise on his car.

(Though: even on a non-power folding mirror car, folding the mirrors in manually before a wash is a great tip)

Dman45 OP: Can you share what packages and options your car has? Major ones are Lighting Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, and Cold Weather Package. That way we can give you better tips!

Congrats from a fellow MG 228i M Sport owner!

(And my contribution: be aware that the Aux jack in your center console may not work well. BMWs has used a part with a high rate of defective manufacture here; the part's been known to be bad for several years. If you use it and the plug doesn't seat well (you get sound out of one channel, etc.), have your dealer replace it under warranty.)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
Dman45
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Correct.

Gentlemen (and ladies: I know there are a few), please realize what model he has: a 2016 228i M Sport. That's all the info he's given us. We need to be mindful of new owners who are not familiar with the ins and outs of the option list since we don't know what he has option-wise on his car.

(Though: even on a non-power folding mirror car, folding the mirrors in manually before a wash is a great tip)

Dman45 OP: Can you share what packages and options your car has? Major ones are Lighting Package, Premium Package, Technology Package, and Cold Weather Package. That way we can give you better tips!

(And my contribution: be aware that the Aux jack in your center console may not work well. BMWs has used a part with a high rate of defective manufacture here; the part's been known to be bad for several years. If you use it and the plug doesn't seat well (you get sound out of one channel, etc.), have your dealer replace it under warranty.)
Thank you!! So, I only have the sport's package, but I do have several other options including: power seats, heated seats, and moon roof. But, my passenger mirror does move down when I'm in reverse.

Also, I'll definitely be weary of the aux plug. For now, a combo of usb and bluetooth are perfect for me, no reason to use the aux.

Side note: Yesterday game was fun to watch
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman45 View Post
Thank you!! So, I only have the sport's package, but I do have several other options including: power seats, heated seats, and moon roof. But, my passenger mirror does move down when I'm in reverse.

Also, I'll definitely be weary of the aux plug. For now, a combo of usb and bluetooth are perfect for me, no reason to use the aux.

Sounds like you actually have the Premium Package. Do you have a heated steering wheel?

As for yesterday's game ... yeah, well, Die Mannschaft needed to win like that afte rplaying the way it has the past couple of weeks. Growing pains with a new manager ...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #18
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post

by george.....that's brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #19
Dman45
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you actually have the Premium Package. Do you have a heated steering wheel?

As for yesterday's game ... yeah, well, Die Mannschaft needed to win like that afte rplaying the way it has the past couple of weeks. Growing pains with a new manager ...
As far as I can tell, I do not have a heated steering wheel. The premium package wasn't listed on the information sheet of my car, what else is on that package besides heated steering wheel?

haha yes very true, definitely miss having Pep!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #20
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boypaulkim View Post
Quote:
Correct.

Quote:

DMAN, I have the same options as you. I don't have premium package and my mirrors fold.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #21
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
As far as I can tell, I do not have a heated steering wheel. The premium package wasn't listed on the information sheet of my car, what else is on that package besides heated steering wheel?

haha yes very true, definitely miss having Pep!
PP also includes the homelink (garage opener). Which I don't have either nor the heated steering wheel.

My mirrors still fold electronically and have the tilt when in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #22
Dman45
Rep

Quote:
PP also includes the homelink (garage opener). Which I don't have either nor the heated steering wheel.

My mirrors still fold electronically and have the tilt when in reverse.
I don't think my mirrors fold in electronically though, atleast idk how to make them lol.
Appreciate 0