THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Seeing 2016 m235i xdrive convertibles sitting on lots

10-18-2016, 05:24 AM   #1
silvercas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: One

Seeing 2016 m235i xdrive convertibles sitting on lots

Looking at a m235i xdrive convertible. I am seeing a few 2016 m235i xdrive convertible on dealer lots that have been sitting for >8 months. I know the convertible market is a niche market, likewise most 2 driver likely want hardtop and RWD opposed to xdrive. Any other reason they would be sitting on dealer lots? Havent read about any issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

It's the end of the season - convertible sales peak in spring when the weather is getting nice and everyone is suffering from seasonal depression.

It's also an expensive proposition for most female convertible buyers (who would just want a base 228 Xdrive convertible) or people in the northeast who tend to prefer hardtops and will go for a 4 series hardtop. Either way it's a small market segment from an already small market segment. I was lucky to find my RWD 235 vert on the lot and got it in winter for a great deal.

The 435 is a pig by comparison. The folding hardtop takes up way too much trunk space and adds even more heft. You'd have to jump to an M4 vert before the weight delta made the larger car more enjoyable.
      10-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Nothing wrong with the cars - I just bought one and love it. That said if you're looking for a convertible and it's not your primary car, you probably want RWD and maybe even a standard as opposed to the auto (which is great for an auto). Bottom line it's the least "drivers car" of the 235 range. Top would be coupe, rwd, standard then at the opposite end of the spectrum is the convertible (heavier not as stiff), AWD (again heavier and lose rWD handling) and auto cuts the fun factor for some.

If it's what you're looking for though it's amazing compared to everything else out there. I specifically wanted a convertible with a back seat, needed AWD and wanted an auto. Another upside is deals are crazy good now. Wait till Dec and they'll get even better. Downside to waiting is inventory will continue to shrink. There's tons of white, lots with oyster. I hated both so eliminating those really cut the number down quite a bit. I had MG so didn't want that again, so all that combined to like 20 cars in the country I'd look at. Depending on your preferences you may have more or less to choose from.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
PChem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 ZHP Vert, 2015 435ix Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Nothing wrong with the cars - I just bought one and love it. That said if you're looking for a convertible and it's not your primary car, you probably want RWD and maybe even a standard as opposed to the auto (which is great for an auto). Bottom line it's the least "drivers car" of the 235 range. Top would be coupe, rwd, standard then at the opposite end of the spectrum is the convertible (heavier not as stiff), AWD (again heavier and lose rWD handling) and auto cuts the fun factor for some.

If it's what you're looking for though it's amazing compared to everything else out there. I specifically wanted a convertible with a back seat, needed AWD and wanted an auto. Another upside is deals are crazy good now. Wait till Dec and they'll get even better. Downside to waiting is inventory will continue to shrink. There's tons of white, lots with oyster. I hated both so eliminating those really cut the number down quite a bit. I had MG so didn't want that again, so all that combined to like 20 cars in the country I'd look at. Depending on your preferences you may have more or less to choose from.
So, what color combination did you buy? Inquiring minds want to know.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PChem
Quote:

So, what color combination did you buy? Inquiring minds want to know.
BSM / CR. Hadn't really considered it TBH saw CR on other cars sometimes loved it sometimes didn't especially on MG. My dealer (Sun Motors) had one in stock and we put a deal together that was too good to pass up. Bought it sight unseen and thankfully absolutely love it. Have seen all the other combos at this point and it's definitely my favorite. Sometimes being lucky is better than being smart.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Will post some more pics when cosmetic mods are done. So far IND mirrors and reflectors, BBS SR rims. Next are grille surrounds to match rims, and swapping then rushed aluminum interior trim for gloss black.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
doccyber258.50
      10-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #7
silvercas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: One

so alittle more info. i come from a 335 convertible and was looking at the 440 convertible. the 440 xdrive convertible is NO pig. it has the power and umph. The hardtop is attractive to me! on the flip side the m235i xdrive convertible also is a great ride and car. the softtop is nice but not as flowing as a hardtop.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Wife's 2016 228i RWD 8AT loaded M-Sport convertible is Melbourne Red/Oyster; added gloss black grilles and black chrome exhaust finishers. Bought it off the showroom floor at the end of last March, got extremely good deal. We've found that end-of-month/end-of-year deals always have better incentives/discounts.
Attached Images

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

End of month good, end of quarter better, end of year best... typically. If you're willing to put the work in and contact a number of dealers you will always be able to find someone with a car you like who's a few units short of making their quota.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #10
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Agree, particularly on folding hard tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
It's the end of the season - convertible sales peak in spring when the weather is getting nice and everyone is suffering from seasonal depression.

It's also an expensive proposition for most female convertible buyers (who would just want a base 228 Xdrive convertible) or people in the northeast who tend to prefer hardtops and will go for a 4 series hardtop. Either way it's a small market segment from an already small market segment. I was lucky to find my RWD 235 vert on the lot and got it in winter for a great deal.

The 435 is a pig by comparison. The folding hardtop takes up way too much trunk space and adds even more heft. You'd have to jump to an M4 vert before the weight delta made the larger car more enjoyable.
The multiple negatives on folding top cars are not worth the marginally better insulation when the top is up. The M235 convertible X-drive is the most expensive 2 series you can buy other than an M2 which would help explain slow sales. A lot of folks, and some professional reviewers, favor the RWD over X-drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #11
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

M235i convertible owner here in San Diego, What? It's a soft top convertible? Guess I should raise the top up and take a look at it.
Appreciate 2
BPC45.50
      10-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

The multiple negatives on folding top cars are not worth the marginally better insulation when the top is up. The M235 convertible X-drive is the most expensive 2 series you can buy other than an M2 which would help explain slow sales. A lot of folks, and some professional reviewers, favor the RWD over X-drive.
Price comparable sure MSRP to MSRP but a fully loaded xDrive vert can be had for close to $50k, even less if you skip some options. So real world the M2 is still a 10-15% premium depending on what you're looking at. Leasing forget about it you're paying 50% more per month for the M2.

Not looking to argue which is better they both serve their purposes.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
M235i convertible owner here in San Diego, What? It's a soft top convertible? Guess I should raise the top up and take a look at it.
Bastard.

San Diego boyeeee!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #14
BPC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

i bought my RWD M235i vert (Estoril Blue with Oyster) at the end of October last year and got quite a deal as it was not convertible season. but in SC, it is almost always convertible season in my view. In Jersey (where i am from) i would go with xdrive. and i would grab one this winter when the dealer is looking to move it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

You really have to want a convertible. I had one as a loaner and couldn't wait to give it back. It was noisy and I had to duck to peek out forward under the header. Never bothered to put the top down, but can't imagine driving it top up full time. No offense to convertible owners! But, I'd certainly pass the ones by on the dealer lot!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #16
pmacd55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 328 xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Bastard.

San Diego boyeeee!
+++++++ 1 !
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #17
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Mine was on the lot for 18mos
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 05:08 AM   #18
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Quote:
Will post some more pics when cosmetic mods are done. So far IND mirrors and reflectors, BBS SR rims. Next are grille surrounds to match rims, and swapping then rushed aluminum interior trim for gloss black.
Beautiful
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVHoo View Post
People don't cross shop those cars. And the m2 is significantly more expensive. A all wheel drive compact vert is a niche car no matter how you slice it
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #20
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You really have to want a convertible. I had one as a loaner and couldn't wait to give it back. It was noisy and I had to duck to peek out forward under the header. Never bothered to put the top down, but can't imagine driving it top up full time. No offense to convertible owners! But, I'd certainly pass the ones by on the dealer lot!
Interesting - my experience with our convertible is just the opposite. I'm 6'3" and have zero problems seeing through the windshield, especially after lowering the driver's seat. Very quiet with the top and windows up. With the wind deflector raised and the top down, it's relatively quiet in terms of wind noise and no buffeting to speak of.

To each their own, I guess, but there's nothing like an open car on a great day or evening, especially when heading for the beach.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #21
Glamdring
Rep
Drives: M235i Vert

As someone who is about to take his m235i vert for a fall drive through the north Georgia mountains, I couldn't care less about the small performance loss from the vert package. I bought mine off the lot in the middle of February and felt like I got a deal. (But you know what they say...if you bought it, you didn't get a deal.)

For me, no visibility issues at all. Set the side mirrors correctly and you're good to go.

Plus, it's always fun to drop the top at a stoplight and watch everyone admire it.

Last edited by Glamdring; 10-22-2016 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #22
kevlac
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercas View Post
Looking at a m235i xdrive convertible. I am seeing a few 2016 m235i xdrive convertible on dealer lots that have been sitting for >8 months. I know the convertible market is a niche market, likewise most 2 driver likely want hardtop and RWD opposed to xdrive. Any other reason they would be sitting on dealer lots? Havent read about any issues.

I see you are in Jersey. I suspect people want a tad more practicality as the Jersey climate limits the amount of time you can enjoy the top down.

That being said, I purchased a 228i Convertible this April and have loved every second of it. I'm in Michigan with a similar climate. I have hardly put the top up.
With the wind deflector and awesome heater, you can have the top down more than you think. I will say that the cabin is impressively quiet with the top up.

If you are debating it, don't hesitate. I'm sure you can get a great deal. I did! It is true, the convertibles don't sell as well. Use that data and take advantage of it when dealing! Winter is on its way and they will want to move it off their lot.

I suspect the re-sale value of a convertible will be higher than the same model hardtop. You can probably get more off now and get more for it later. Win-win.

Plus, the class factor increases. I can't tell you how many compliments I get with the the top down. I have always been the guy to get the faster hardtop version of cars. I have never wanted a convertible. Now, I don't know if I ever want a hardtop again!

Last edited by kevlac; 10-22-2016 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 1