THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum At the risk of stating the obvious: the 2 is a fecking good car

10-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #23
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Yeah, got a sweet deal on some Bilsteins PSS's, so I thought it was a no brain'er, car has no DCC either. No PP at the time we bought, as we bought it on the launch month, in May of 2014, the PP option wasn't even confirmed for NA at the time, so we went ahead coming out of a lease on an MK6 GTI. I was going to throw a wavetrac lsd in there, but moved onto the BMW so I said F'it. Also the stability management on the new VW's is really, REALLY good. I'm sure with the PP, mainly the E LSD, it would be even better in slippery conditions. But the traction system pulses abs at each corner perfectly to wrapping you around a turn, and in low grip situations, it actually gets tail happy. It almost drives as if it's an AWD car, it's really strange because it's all of the nannies that are making the car rotate, but still in a good way.. lol

I have to say, VW hit the mark on the MK7as a perfect every day car, and if I wasn't keen on having a RWD coupe, the Golf R would have been my next approach. I just got sick of 4 bangers to be honest, been through many builds and setups (all 4cyl) and the I6 is so much more appealing from a tuning perspective.

And BMW hit the mark on the 2 series for a sporty coupe, offering both a 4cyl/6cyl turbo option, RWD, MT, the simplistic dashboard and cluster, great pedal configuration and seat/seating position... I can go on all day
I hear you. I'm a blown-four afacionado with a predisposition toward two-door 'hot hatches' and small cars, and though I've had straight sixes (280z, 370z), I went for the 228 because it's in line with what I gravitate toward as an enthusiast.

I test drove a MkVII GTi and immediately wanted one. It's so composed, sprightly, and well constructed ... man. But I had so many issues finding one that was 'right' -- right at the PP launch, which ended up being botched badly by VW because it inexplicably and severely underestimated the demand for the option (I had an email convo with a Regional VP of Sales about it at one point) -- I went with the 228 instead.

The 228's definitely a better overall car, and I'm largely happy with it. But lemme tell ya something I've told others already: If the M135i were sold in the U.S., I'd have skipped right past everything to score one. A two-door hatchback with a straight six? YES, please!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #24
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
I hear you. I'm a blown-four afacionado with a predisposition toward two-door 'hot hatches' and small cars, and though I've had straight sixes (280z, 370z), I went for the 228 because it's in line with what I gravitate toward as an enthusiast.

I test drove a MkVII GTi and immediately wanted one. It's so composed, sprightly, and well constructed ... man. But I had so many issues finding one that was 'right' -- right at the PP launch, which ended up being botched badly by VW because it inexplicably and severely underestimated the demand for the option (I had an email convo with a Regional VP of Sales about it at one point) -- I went with the 228 instead.

The 228's definitely a better overall car, and I'm largely happy with it. But lemme tell ya something I've told others already: If the M135i were sold in the U.S., I'd have skipped right past everything to score one. A two-door hatchback with a straight six? YES, please!
Yea no doubt Mike, the 1/2 is more of a drivers car for sure. I'm feeling the same about the M135 too, and have always been a hatch guy, using my car 12mos/year. The GTI really is the best at doing everything, IMO and the R would be the cats ass for an every day all year car, fun, fast, and safe. I'd probably go Golf R, before 235 Xdrive, just because if I'm going to have an all year car, it may as well have 4 doors and a hatch. I came across this M235 on a bit of a whim, and went with it since it was such a good deal, to me. I really wanted to give RWD a shot, had to be German, and this seemed to be the best car for what I was looking for. I honestly couldn't be happier, the car brings me so much joy each day. I drive down and up a twisty, well cambered 3000ft descent, each day to and from work, so having this car makes it that much more enjoyable than any FWD/AWD car can provide.

There also seems to be a lot more of a "mature" enthusiast following with BMW too, and have already had a few gas pump conversations with other car enthusiasts since buying this car. In the GTI, I get the odd thumbs up, or stop light challenge, but never really had people walk up and want to talk "VW". The BMW crowd is definitely strong, even around here, there seems to be more old men driving xdrive 335i sedan's than Chevy Cruz's, which I think is cool, too lol.

D
      10-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
I drive down and up a twisty, well cambered 3000ft descent, each day to and from work, so having this car makes it that much more enjoyable than any FWD/AWD car can provide.

There also seems to be a lot more of a "mature" enthusiast following with BMW too, and have already had a few gas pump conversations with other car enthusiasts since buying this car. In the GTI, I get the odd thumbs up, or stop light challenge, but never really had people walk up and want to talk "VW". The BMW crowd is definitely strong, even around here, there seems to be more old men driving xdrive 335i sedan's than Chevy Cruz's, which I think is cool, too lol.
Funny: I just realized where you are. My family owns a cabin home and about 20 acres on Kootenay Lake east of Nelson; on the north shore of the West Arm about 2/3 the way to Balfour. I haven't been there in about six years, but I can tell you I've been tempted to road-trip up there in my 228 (and I did just that in '08 in a Mini Cooper). The roads are pretty much phenomenal in east BC!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #26
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Funny: I just realized where you are. My family owns a cabin home and about 20 acres on Kootenay Lake east of Nelson; on the north shore of the West Arm about 2/3 the way to Balfour. I haven't been there in about six years, but I can tell you I've been tempted to road-trip up there in my 228 (and I did just that in '08 in a Mini Cooper). The roads are pretty much phenomenal in east BC!
Small world, eh? Nelson is great, a one of a kind community for sure. If you do make it up this way next year, let me know! My boss just grabbed an M4, so we'll be doing the "Creston Loop" drives most weekends. Best roads in Canada, for sure. Driven them all :P

Edit: Didn't mean to derail this thread. Keep it going!
      10-20-2016, 09:10 PM   #27
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
so we'll be doing the "Creston Loop" drives most weekends. Best roads in Canada, for sure. Driven them all :P

Edit: Didn't mean to derail this thread. Keep it going!
Not a derail.. Even if it was, it reminded me that I live 15 minutes away from the border and haven't been there in two years (Which is 3 1/2 Canadian.) I think subliminally, I don't want to hassle with the Border Guards on the way back in.. Hell, you get free donuts on the way in but need a DNA test to go home... I have no idea what our problem is.. A true miserable bunch..

Thanks for the reminder.. I need to get back up there.. If not only for the great roads, but some incredible food and breathtaking scenery..

Now, that's a derail..
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
Dylan861330.00
      10-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #28
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
Not a derail.. Even if it was, it reminded me that I live 15 minutes away from the border and haven't been there in two years (Which is 3 1/2 Canadian.) I think subliminally, I don't want to hassle with the Border Guards on the way back in.. Hell, you get free donuts on the way in but need a DNA test to go home... I have no idea what our problem is.. A true miserable bunch..

Thanks for the reminder.. I need to get back up there.. If not only for the great roads, but some incredible food and breathtaking scenery..

Now, that's a derail..
lol, I live 10 mins from the boarder too, and that's funny because I have bones to pick with our Guards coming back in every time from WA. Mainly the Rossland/Patterson boarder, and they know who I am, where I work and everything.. Never an issue getting into the US, ALWAYS an issue coming home. Must be the legal weed you guys have, us Canadians MUST be smuggling! It's like they don't believe I only went down to go to the track in Spokane, or for some good golf, or better yet a simple haircut since nothing is open here on the weekends lol.. Let me know if you're up this way in the warm season, I have some great routes mapped out!