THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum First 2017 m240i crash?

10-20-2016, 01:44 AM   #1
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
First 2017 m240i crash?

Ok so it wasn't totaled, nor a bad accident for the m240i. But yesterday I was driving to work at 0625 and ended up hitting a baby dear (R.I.P. little guy). I did the right thing and turned around to check on the deer and report the accident as required here in Germany. I felt like shit when it happened because it was just a baby, but hindsight it was best that it was a baby because of the damage that could've came from an adult deer.

I was doing about 50kmph and as I came around a corner, I saw movement on the right side (it was a deer). So I put my foot over the brake and prepared to slam them if needed, but it turned around to start going back into the woods. I looked back at the road and within that split second, I saw ears over the left side of the hood and heard the faint thud and saw the body go tumbling off to the left side of the road

I looked at the dash cam footage yesterday afternoon with my wife and you can see the deer on the right and then the hit deer sprinting into view from the left. I wonder if I hadn't looked at the right side deer as long if I would've seen the other deer coming and stopped in time. Part of me says no because the left pillar creates a decent blind spot in that area and the reason the camera can see it is because it's to the right of the rearview mirror.

As mentioned, the damage wasn't bad to the car. Not sure if the bumper will need to be replaced or if it's fixable. Waiting for the blotter report from Security Forces so I can put in the claim with my insurance. The lower auxiliary intake is broke and cracked in 3 places. Outer side of the bumper where it comes to a (somewhat) point broke. Scratch from above the auxiliary intake stretches to the license plate (looks like it was from the bumper flexing and breaking the paint). Thankfully it looks like the front splitter and spoiler survived without any damage with the exception of some slight blemishes or surface scratches.

950 miles on the odo. Not sure if just bad luck or the curse of the EBII.

TL : DR - 2017 m240ix hits baby deer, driver felt like shit.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:21 AM   #2
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Be thankful nothing happen to you, the car can be fixed. I'd feel like shit too, just give your car a bunch of extra love in memory of the deer.

Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      10-20-2016, 02:30 AM   #3
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Be thankful nothing happen to you, the car can be fixed. I'd feel like shit too, just give your car a bunch of extra love in memory of the deer.

Car got some loving yesterday in the form of a nice car wash and detail inside and out (granted it was to remove the deer fur from the front end of the car and check for other damage). I'm thankful I wasn't hurt from it and so is my wife.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      10-20-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Not to be selfish - but a bird flew into the side of my 235 yesterday while cruising at 35 mph in a built up area. The knock was loud - thought a tire smacked into my side. But no damage.
Freakin wildlife, will they ever learn?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Not to be selfish - but a bird flew into the side of my 235 yesterday while cruising at 35 mph in a built up area. The knock was loud - thought a tire smacked into my side. But no damage.
Freakin wildlife, will they ever learn?
I feel like that wouldn't have bothered me as much though. The bird took it's own life (or hurt itself). I feel like it was my fault the deer died (assuming it died but it's body was gone when I was going home so not sure if Polizei came and removed it) because I hit the deer. If the deer ran into my car on the side I don't think I would have felt as bad as I do/did.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Lots of deer where I live and I drive slow in certain areas where they have been hit regularly. They can do a lot of damage. Glad you are ok, the car can be fixed.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50