THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Active Tourer Discussions BMW 2 Series Active Tourer [Official Thread] - Specs, Wallpapers, Photos, Videos

02-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #243
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holander View Post
It´s now weird. They started planning 2-series Coupe in 2008 (if remember correctly) Many things has changed in five years. So will 1-series stay rwd in future?
No. All sub-3 Series offerings will be moved to UKL from now on. So, next generation, we'll get to see how well BMW can compete with the CLA and A3 on an equal footing.

One glaring hole right now is that VAG has a 380hp I5 for performance vehicles on MQB and Mercedes has a 350hp I4 for performance vehicles on their FWD-based platform. BMW has 230hp I4, tops. No transverse I6 will be fitted. So there is work to be done.

Quote:
I think this 2-series Active tourer shows future direction on model groups. Next generation 1-series might be fwd too. Then all groups are understandable order.
Its still a diversion from the naming scheme for 3 Series and above. We can hope that the nomenclature for the whole lineup doesn't get butchered in this same way.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #244
Leo_328i
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Roadster, E39 E36 E34 E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I have no problem with a 520d despite the smaller engine. It's still a 5 series, still a RWD platform, and still provides a very high end ("ultimate") driving experience. But it seems BMW wants to create a car for everyone. That's fine if you want to be mediocre and target volume... but it's no longer the ultimate driving machine is it. Once you start heading towards the middle of the bell curve, where volume sales rule, you need to sacrifice quite a bit in the process... and we're seeing that here. For how long has BMW touted the importance of RWD and 50/50 balance in achieving the best driving dynamics? Heck, even xDrive is setup to drive like a RWD as not to sacrifice this philosophy. All be damned... FWD now from BMW. And why? To go down market, sell more cars, produce less expensive platforms, appeal to people who are afraid of RWD handling? No "ultimate" explanations here are there?

BMW is going to end up suffering for this approach. Loyalists are getting sickened, which support their "core" products... so they better start building a strong revenue stream from the sub-ultimate driving machines to make up for the drop that'll be coming. BMW is starting to convince me it's time to look hard at Audi and MB.
Could not agree more.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #245
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
I have no problem with a 520d despite the smaller engine. It's still a 5 series, still a RWD platform, and still provides a very high end ("ultimate") driving experience. But it seems BMW wants to create a car for everyone. That's fine if you want to be mediocre and target volume... but it's no longer the ultimate driving machine is it. Once you start heading towards the middle of the bell curve, where volume sales rule, you need to sacrifice quite a bit in the process... and we're seeing that here. For how long has BMW touted the importance of RWD and 50/50 balance in achieving the best driving dynamics? Heck, even xDrive is setup to drive like a RWD as not to sacrifice this philosophy. All be damned... FWD now from BMW. And why? To go down market, sell more cars, produce less expensive platforms, appeal to people who are afraid of RWD handling? No "ultimate" explanations here are there?

BMW is going to end up suffering for this approach. Loyalists are getting sickened, which support their "core" products... so they better start building a strong revenue stream from the sub-ultimate driving machines to make up for the drop that'll be coming. BMW is starting to convince me it's time to look hard at Audi and MB.
So much agree.

They should keep FWD at Mini.... FWD BMW will just steal Mini sales...
BMW should do this:
Mini: Affordable everyone can have fun in car.
BMW: Introductory luxury vehicles 1-3 series, Luxury vehicles 4-7 series.
Rolls Royce: Ultimate luxury vehicles.

But of course BMW will never listen to us the consumer buying their products right?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #246
Tåst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Yellow View Post
So much agree.

They should keep FWD at Mini.... FWD BMW will just steal Mini sales...
BMW should do this:
Mini: Affordable everyone can have fun in car.
BMW: Introductory luxury vehicles 1-3 series, Luxury vehicles 4-7 series.
Rolls Royce: Ultimate luxury vehicles.

But of course BMW will never listen to us the consumer buying their products right?
Can I add one small wish...

Aston Martin : Sportcars (real 911/Cayman competitor) and luxury GT´s. Just think that M-brand heritage are not so strong nowadays.

btw. first Astons had straight six engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #247
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

When I saw renders of this car a couple of years ago, I thought it'd be pretty cool. Then the details started leaking -- front-wheel drive ; goofy proportions and distinctly "blah" styling . I'm sure this car is going to appeal to someone, but does BMW really need to be in this particular segment? To date, my least favorite car has been the 5GT, but now it's this Active Tourer. I'm clearly not the demographic they're hoping will flock to this one, but as a lifetime BMW driver, I really hope this trend to the bottom of the segment doesn't last. BMW has lost a bit of its soul.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 04:48 AM   #248
fanchbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d

1/43 Model

Can we expect to see a scale 1/43 model of this 2 Series Active Tourer and from which manufacturer?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:28 AM   #249
Kh4N
Private
Rep
Drives: E30 touring, F30 saloon

The new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer. The new BMW 2 Series Gran Tourer.

Appreciate 1
      08-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #250
BimmerTom94
BimmerTom94
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 530e

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
2015 BMW 3 Series  [0.00]
My friend has owned a 2015 BMW 218d M sport for a while now. Still loving it!

I made a wee video on it if anyone wants to check out the 2AT?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #251
johnwcooper
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Details and new pictures of the BMW 2 Series Active Tourer 2022 have been shared.

Source: https://www.latestcarnews.net/bmw-2-...e-tourer-2022/
Appreciate 0