THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Active Tourer Discussions Inadvertent reverse gear selection

02-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
gosco
Rep
Drives: 218i Sport AT

Inadvertent reverse gear selection

Hi all,

I have a 218i Sport with 9000 miles in 10 months. Has anyone else with the 6 speed manual box noticed a tendency to engage reverse when intending to use first? The gates are quite close and there is no spring engagement on the gear stick to ensure reverse is clearly engaged deliberately. This has happened to me a number of times, not when starting from stationary setting off, but when I've been in a more pressurised driving situation, such as a manoeuvre in a car park with multiple other cars waiting for me to clear a space. It may be that I just need to keep cooler, but it seems to keep happening inadvertently when changing gear into first a little more purposefully. It's been mentioned in a particular online review as an issue, so l'm wondering on the extent to which it's a safety issue for other real world users? I've never had this issue with previous manual cars!

I've now been in touch with my service centre, and arranged to go out with a technician. I'll post any useful updates.

Gordon
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

The fault you describe has been mentioned on the forum a few times.
A few things, I think, may help ( excluding the remote possibility of a mechanical linkage issue ) are the following: 1) realize when in neutral and releasing the gear lever that the gear lever will spring to the center of the gate for the forward gears. So 3rd gear will engage by moving lever simply forward. If you look down at the shifter and eye the lever into 1'st gear you will know how much lateral movement you need, and you can then get into the habit of actually eyeing the gear selector into 1'st, since you now know the selector springs to the same center neutral position.
2) how you grip the selector knob may cause you to man-handle the shifter to far over. If you grab the shifter like a ski-pole that may be the cause of over shooting 1'st gear. If you held the selector like with a grip with your palm facing downward, and with no finger clinching, by just enough to securely have control - that technique may help.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
gosco
Rep

Positioning the palm on top of the shifter makes quite a difference to the accuracy, and smoothness, of throws across the gates. I have been more of a pole holder with my hand more offset to the left on the shifter, so this seems to be a step forward in ensuring I go in the correct direction. I came from an auto, so looks like I needed some re-educating!

Thanks for your valuable advice.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #4
Terry1100
Rep
Drives: 216 SE

And I thought it was me !

I collected my car yesterday (ordered at the end of Nov) and I did it once and just put it down to unfamiliarity with a new car.

I will have to be careful
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 02:05 AM   #5
woolybully
Registered
Rep
Drives: 218D active tourer

Reverse gear

I traded a 3 series for the 218 & the resistance required to move the lever over isn't the same as the 3 series.
I think it should be set a little stronger, I also select reverse instead of 1st.

Sure I'll get used to it, eventually..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #6
gosco
Rep

Eventually took this up as a safety issue, BMW have now replaced the gearbox, and I have had no recurrence since. I got the impression they know it's an issue, so if you're impacted use your warranty for safety's sake!
Appreciate 0