THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Are Oyster Leather Seats Hard to Keep Clean?

04-28-2017, 11:36 AM   #23
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

I had an X3 for 3 years and now my M235 for 2 years with Oyster seats, zero issue keeping clean, they look as I bought them. Get this, Zymol Z507 Leather Cleaner, from Amazon and when you notice a stain, wipe it off. I only have 1 dark pair of jeans and most of my driving is done in business attire. But, many have used this stuff and have had success. Plus dark interiors are crazy hot in the summer. So either light interior with some upkeep, or scorching seats on sunny days, choose whichever color you think looks best.
      04-30-2017, 12:48 PM   #24
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Anything white shows dirt. The darker the color, the less most dirt will show. But the darker the color, the quicker it heats up. So white is fine if you are willing to clean more frequently. I was lucky enough to discover that the Terra leather looks great with Estoril Blue, so I don't have to clean the leather as frequently as with a lighter color and it doesn't heat up quite as viciously as black.
My wife's X3 is black on black, a beautiful combo (especially with the light stitching on the seats) but a heat magnet, especially if you forget to close the shade on the giant sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #25
airansun
CRCL GME
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i & 2003 Miata SE

Well, I guess I'm going to find out. The white M240i on its way to me has the oyster leather seats, by my intentional choice.

I had a '95 M3, white with light grey leather interior. It looked like a million bucks and I never had a serious problem with it at all in 125k miles. Yeah, it looked 'old' after ten years, and the outer driver's side bolster was all crazed and worn, but it was fine.

I never had clothing transfer color to the seats and I was not particular about my clothing when I drove it.

Hopefully, I will have a similar experience with my new car, but maybe not from what I'm reading here.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #26
mcwinterr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

I wear dark jeans and drive my M240i with Oyster Senatec seats every day. Yep, there's transfer from my jeans to the seat. But also, it's easy to clean with a Magic Eraser. That's all you need. Non issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #27
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Anything white shows dirt. The darker the color, the less most dirt will show. But the darker the color, the quicker it heats up. So white is fine if you are willing to clean more frequently. I was lucky enough to discover that the Terra leather looks great with Estoril Blue, so I don't have to clean the leather as frequently as with a lighter color and it doesn't heat up quite as viciously as black.
My wife's X3 is black on black, a beautiful combo (especially with the light stitching on the seats) but a heat magnet, especially if you forget to close the shade on the giant sunroof.
I went with Terra/Estoril Blue too, with similar reasoning. I think it's a sharp combo! I had white leather ("Linen") in my old Porsche 944S2 and it was difficult to keep it looking good. My car should finish production May 9, so I'm hoping to take delivery by mid-June.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Anything white shows dirt. The darker the color, the less most dirt will show. But the darker the color, the quicker it heats up. So white is fine if you are willing to clean more frequently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
I had white leather ("Linen") in my old Porsche 944S2 and it was difficult to keep it looking good.
Not sure where this discussion of "white" comes from? Oyster is definitely not white. It's a creamy light tan/beige, but not at all white. I clean it every couple of months and it looks fine.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #29
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OK, light. Is that better?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #30
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Not sure where this discussion of "white" comes from? Oyster is definitely not white. It's a creamy light tan/beige, but not at all white. I clean it every couple of months and it looks fine.
I agree and recommended Magic Eraser and Leatherique in my post. It is off white, easy to clean and I cant believe this "beating a dead horse subject" has gone on for so long..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
OK, light. Is that better?
Yes, it is, thank you...just like Terra is dark but it's not black.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #32
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

I have had my oyster seats for almost a year now exactly and 13000 miles. You do have keep up with them, but honestly just spraying some leather cleaner on them and wiping it off with a microfiber cloth generally gets all the dirt off.

If the dirt doesn't come off I use a brush that you use for shaving cream to basically lather up the cleaner after I spray it on. That will work up the dirt even better.

Every so many times cleaning I will put leather conditioner on. The Zaino stuff smells great. I am not sure how worthwhile it is since I heard the way these seats colored seals in the leather anyway. Don't know if that is 100% true

Never had an issue with blue jeans. My work dress code is lax so I often have shorts on in the summer but in the winter I predominately where blue jeans. I do not however where raw denim which I believe has a much higher chance to transfer dye.

All in all I don't regret getting oyster one bit and I love the contrast it creates in the car. The seats still look new.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #33
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

I have the oyster on my M240i and after 1,000 miles it is still spotless.
I had the Venetian Beige on my F31 (When I traded this in after 30,000 miles the salesman acknowledged that the interior / leather was in mint condition). I also have 2 Landrovers on my drive - both with 'almond' / beige leather. The only problem I ever get in any of these cars is dye transfer from my blue Levis which I wear at the weekends. I use the BMW leather cleaner and wipe with a microfiber cloth about once every 3 months and, if necessary, use a bristle brush as others have said. Total workload is about 30 minutes per year per car which, for me, is a very cheap price to pay compared to spending 365 days per year in cars with black interiors!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #34
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I had cream/beige leather on my previous Monaco Blue 335i (should have opted for saddle brown instead but only because saddle brown is a nicer colour) and it's pretty close in colour to oyster in terms of lightness of colour. I am single and take immaculate care of my cars, so other than the occasional wipe down with premium Maguire's leather cleaning wipes, that's all the upkeep that was required. Now having said that, over time some portions of the leather will darken due to usage, but not a serious issue at all. Now if u have kids kicking back seats, or aren't one to fuss when it comes to taking care of your baby, then forget about a light colour interior. My preference for what it's worth is that I generally don't like all-black interiors (bat caves) and much prefer a contrasting colour, but I would go with brown (Terra or Saddle) before considering oyster. A red interior truly sucks IMHO, but others love it. I wouldn't let fear of a little dirt stop you from going with Oyster if that's your preference. Oyster goes nicely with black.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #35
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Detailing my 2016 228ix today. Cleaned my oyster seats with Leatherique, applied a conditioner and they look new. Doing exterior tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #36
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Oyster Seats I miss so much. Dislike my black leather seats

I can't wait for my three year lease to end on my BMW 228i all due to the black leather seats. I really dislike sitting in such a dark interior and the dark seats make the interior hotter. My next car will have light leather seats even if I have to spend time cleaning them. I will learn how. Just my two cents. I really loved my oyster/black combination on my BMW 128i car.

Last edited by Lynn_228i; 05-08-2017 at 11:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #37
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_228i View Post
I can't wait for my three year least to end on my BMW 228i all due to the black leather seats. I really dislike sitting in such a dark interior and the dark seats make the interior hotter. My next car will have light leather seats even if I have to spend time cleaning them. I will learn how. Just my two cents. I really loved my oyster/black combination on my BMW 128i car.
Oyster is Nice after being used to black leather. Barely more of a hassle to keep clean. Makes the interior a more inviting atmosphere
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 11:52 PM   #38
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
Oyster is Nice after being used to black leather. Barely more of a hassle to keep clean. Makes the interior a more inviting atmosphere
I agree! I cannot wait to have a lighter more inviting atmosphere again which will make driving even more enjoyable. I will never complain about cleaning seats again.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #39
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_228i View Post
I agree! I cannot wait to have a lighter more inviting atmosphere again which will make driving even more enjoyable. I will never complain about cleaning seats again.
You must not have kids. LOL
      05-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
You must not have kids. LOL
Well, I've got Oyster and kids! One is 33, the other is 36, and they live somewhere else! Do they count?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0