THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anyone considering Golf R?

05-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #67
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3MC, 2019 Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The CLA45 is running an older version that can only send a max of 60% to the rear and is 100% fwd until slip is detected.
Unfortunately it can only send 50% to the rear and it's not really just sending power to the rear when the front wheels slip. It's supposedly based on a number of factors. Launch control is really the only time I can break traction. ESP Sport mode also influences the tq split. It's definitely not the most dynamic AWD system out there but much better than the gen 4 haldex that my Audi TTS had.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #68
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 Cayman S 6MT, '21 X5 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
There is no way in the world the S3 will lease out nearly as well as the m235. The R might be in the same ballpark but really why would you want to do that?
Perhaps you misread my post. My point was I discovered that leasing a $38k R will be almost identical to leasing a $51k m235i, so that was a pretty big deal in making me reconsider my decision to get an R.

BMW leases are just soooo good, especially if you are able to get the 'usual' 5-7% off MSRP, and VW leases are soooo bad, and there is barely any discount to be had there at all.

And, yeah, I have zero interest in the S3 anyway, as it is auto only.

2014 981 Cayman S 6MT, X73 Suspension, SES
2021 X5 45e MSport, Manhattan Green, Coffee Merino, Review & Photos
Previous: '18 340 GT, '15 M235i 6MT, '15 i3 REx, '15 x1 xDrive28i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #69
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg
Quote:
There is no way in the world the S3 will lease out nearly as well as the m235. The R might be in the same ballpark but really why would you want to do that?
Perhaps you misread my post. My point was I discovered that leasing a $38k R will be almost identical to leasing a $51k m235i, so that was a pretty big deal in making me reconsider my decision to get an R.

BMW leases are just soooo good, especially if you are able to get the 'usual' 5-7% off MSRP, and VW leases are soooo bad, and there is barely any discount to be had there at all.

That was my point as well. The leases on VW / Audi are so messed up you can't cross shop w BMW. Granted 235 is especially strong w 63% residual and incentives, but even average BMW you have to go down a level in Audi or move to equivalent VW (ie Golf R) to get anything close to similar $. But why in the world would you lease a VW when you could get $15k more car and a BMW badge of the hood? Just doesn't make sense. Buying is a different story obvs but for a lease it's crazy.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #70
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That was my point as well. The leases on VW / Audi are so messed up you can't cross shop w BMW. Granted 235 is especially strong w 63% residual and incentives, but even average BMW you have to go down a level in Audi or move to equivalent VW (ie Golf R) to get anything close to similar $. But why in the world would you lease a VW when you could get $15k more car and a BMW badge of the hood? Just doesn't make sense. Buying is a different story obvs but for a lease it's crazy.
Agreed. I don't care much about the badge, if anything I'd actually prefer the sleeper quality of an R vs. the braggadocio of a m235i, speaking only about badges. But 320 ponies at the rear wheels has my attention for sure. Plus, owning one of each brand, there is definitely a quality difference that is manifested in just about every aspect of the car. Looking more and more like m235i is in my future.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #71
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I had an R32 it was awesome but the fit and finish just isn't the same. Getting a Macan in a few days as well so AWD wasn't something I was all that interested in for the coupe. I will say I debadged the M235 all the way around and believe it or not that simple change tones down the flashiness quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 11:23 AM   #72
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I am bumping this old thread now, because this car got so many positive reviews and we have more information about it, i think this car deserves more disscussion in this thread.
I am seriously considering to replace my 135i with it as a daily driver. M2 would be ideal for me, but i am guessing it will cost about $20K more out the door than Golf R with options that i need.
But, before i pull the trigger, i would be interested to hear MK7 Golf R owners opinions, especially from those who moved from BMW to this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #73
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I haven't even been able to drive one because of the supply debacle and dealers treating them like stupid halo cars. I was positive I would get one shortly after the preorders landed but then it became impossible and is still pretty close to impossible (in Seattle) so I moved forward with what I thought would be the sportier option in the M235xi. I also was concerned with reading about both throttle and turbo lag which absolutely kills a car for me, but then again I never drove one.

After having my M235xi for 3 weeks I'm incredibly happy with it and most importantly the AWD. It really drives like it is mostly RWD and feels neutral to me. I would bet good money the Golf R haldex does not drive this way and I have yet to see a comparison with M235xi vs Golf R.

Now the utility of the Golf is another story and it's too bad we don't get the new M135xi hatch here.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #74
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have both the M235i and the Golf R mk7, and all I can tell you I have a real problem each morning which one to drive today...
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #75
angelbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V.O. 228i

Not to trying to provoke the many people (and even car sites) that absolutely love all versions of the Golf, but to me the car is still boring. Generally, I've always only considered 2-door coupes (ashamed I have to qualify a coupe as 2-door, but argument for another day). Just because I think it's a better looking car, I'd take the Ford Focus RS over the Golf R, and maybe a slightly better bang for buck. Could throw in the WRX, but even that has become boring looking, not to mention I've heard owners complain about its roughness and lack of refinement.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:58 PM   #76
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Don't worry sir, I won't get provoked. The fact is that out of the 300 hp+ hot-hatches, only the R has DSG which is on par with BMW's DCT, and AWD drive (the 5th Haldex generation) capable of sending all torque to the rear... Speaking of hot-hatches I omitted the M135i as it's not available in the US afaik, and it's basically the same car as the M235i.
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #77
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Here is a short clip of mk7 Golf R driven by a very good driver hanging with 991 gt3 rs on the ring. Porsche is driven by an instructor, so you cant say he cant drive. Golf has bilstein coilovers w/ c.plates.
The point is, this car is not only a very comfortable daily driver, but is a capable track car as well with coilovers and camber plates. Simple stage 1 APR tune with their intake gives you 380HP with 0-60 3.7 sec and 11.9 1/4 mile times. Not bad for under $40K car

Just want to make some correction. This is a Bilster Berg race track in Germany, not a Ring as was mentioned before.

Last edited by Groundpilot; 08-23-2015 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #78
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

second part of that video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=wecr-h8JwWQ
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #79
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Here is a short clip of mk7 Golf R driven by a very good driver hanging with 991 gt3 rs on the ring. Porsche is driven by an instructor, so you cant say he cant drive. Golf has bilstein coilovers w/ c.plates.
The point is, this car is not only a very comfortable daily driver, but is a capable track car as well with coilovers and camber plates. Simple stage 1 APR tune with their intake gives you 380HP with 0-60 3.7 sec and 11.9 1/4 mile times. Not bad for under $40K car
Really? A lightly modified Golf R can hang on the ring with a 991 GT3 RS? Is this real life? I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #80
scottomfg
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I haven't even been able to drive one because of the supply debacle and dealers treating them like stupid halo cars.
THIS. I had thought a lot about getting the R before going with the M235i. VW just makes it stupid difficult to get the car you want, as you want it, for a good deal. I haven't found a single good dealership in the NW. (I've purchased two new VWs while living here, both times had to get them shipped in from other regions at my cost). I knew getting an R with a manual and not paying MSRP (or more!) would be such a giant POA, that it pushed me towards thinking about other cars and I'm really glad it did—because I love my 6MT M235i, which was very easy to order exactly as I wanted it from Germany and it was no problem securing a healthy discount as well. Not a single regret.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 02:20 AM   #81
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottomfg
Quote:

I was reading on VW forums that the R had a 67% residual. Any one know if this is true?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #82
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Another video from the same guy, this time on the Nordschleife overtaking some very fast cars. I know, driver is a huge factor during lapping days, but still, his pace and speed through high speed sweepers on street tires is very impressive
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #83
Sidebrowns
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

I'm currently driving an '08 GTI and starting to look at new cars. The M235i and Golf R are definitely topping the list! Those Golf R videos are pretty crazy!

Also new to the site so hello!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 05:04 PM   #84
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

That's what proper suspension does to your car. The driver is cool, too. Bilstein Clubsport. I'm not sure you'll be able to enjoy it as much as a DD, though. I've always known those mediocre looking VWs can sometimes knock your socks off if set up properly.

Last edited by x233; 08-24-2015 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #85
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
That's what proper suspension does to your car. The driver is cool, too. Bilstein Clubsport. I'm not sure you'll be able to enjoy it as much as a DD, though. I've always known those mediocre looking VWs can sometimes knock your socks off if set up properly.
This is what this driver had to say about his set up. This is from VWvortex forum:

"First, I track my cars often and regularly (Nordschleife), as you know. I had the DCC in my Golf 6 R. But for the Golf 7 R I didn't order it and mounted a Bilstein Clubsport Coilover Kit. I did this because I made the experience that the DCC is perfect if you use your car on streets only. But if you go to track your car, the DCC isn't really adaptable.

If you want to track your 7 R often, there is definitely no opportunity to a coilover kit with camber plates. Ohlins (road & track) was on my list but it was not available for the 7 R yet (when I had to decide) and the version for the 6 R was not available with adjustable camber plates. So the final choice was to be made between a KW Clubsport and a Bilstein Clubsport. The Bilstein I chose because I use my car all day as well and have to go min. 35 K Km a year all through Germany. And cause the Bilstein is a little bit more smooth generally it was my choice. Surely I had advice of experts before.

And what should I say: The Blistein CS is perfect. Gives you the chance to adjust up to -2,5° camber at the front wheels (OEM DCC max. -0,5°) and makes a great track performance. And on roads you have enough rest of comfort that even my wife goes to holidays with me in the car without any grousing.

How it works on track one can see in my Nordschleife vids" (Sig.)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #86
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

He is lucky to be on German roads that generally are very good.

I've recently had KW2, Bilstein B16 and AST5100 with camber plates plus a few other suspension mods on my VW Scirocco and my wife is not super excited about long trips on less than perfect roads, especially on Bilstein. Clubsport stuff is usually less forgiving in terms of comfort.

Re the subject of Golf R MK7 I believe it can be tuned to surpass many significantly more expensive cars both in terms of performance and handling but here is the catch: it's not out of the box, you actually have to tune a lot of stuff, the engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension, etc., which takes some understanding of what you're doing, a lot of patience and a lot of cash and then some more every time and then because all of that requires servicing. That takes an enthusiast who doesn't mind things breaking or falling off. Not everyone is ready for that. Sometimes you just get tired.

Out of the factory Golf R is probably a great comfy DD, though.

Last edited by x233; 08-25-2015 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #87
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

I like the Golf R and it would suit my needs admirably. However, two things veto this vehicle:
  • Dealers
  • Huge upmarks over MSRP
  • Untrained sales staff. Implies untrained tech's.
  • Can't order one like you want. No ED delivery.
  • They act as if they are selling you an NSX
  • Reliability
  • JD Powers Initial Quality Survey
  • JD Powers Long Term (3 yr) Reliability Survey
  • VW Customer Satisfaction Rating

Yea.. maybe you got 300K miles out of your GTI and love the service, but I have to go with objective metrics on what to expect. BMW on the other hand is on the rise in all these areas.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #88
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
He is lucky to be on German roads that generally are very good.

I've recently had KW2, Bilstein B16 and AST5100 with camber plates plus a few other suspension mods on my VW Scirocco and my wife is not super excited about long trips on less than perfect roads, especially on Bilstein. Clubsport stuff is usually less forgiving in terms of comfort.

Re the subject of Golf R MK7 I believe it can be tuned to surpass many significantly more expensive cars both in terms of performance and handling but here is the catch: it's not out of the box, you actually have to tune a lot of stuff, the engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension, etc., which takes some understanding of what you're doing, a lot of patience and a lot of cash and then some more every time and then because all of that requires servicing. That takes an enthusiast who doesn't mind things breaking or falling off. Not everyone is ready for that. Sometimes you just get tired.

Out of the factory Golf R is probably a great comfy DD, though.
Here is his set up. As you can see its not heavily modded at all. And he is saying that his car with soft settings on his clubsports is quite comfortable on the street.
Thats what makes this car so impressive, with minimal investment this car is a beast when driven by a really good driver.

2014 MK VII Golf .:R, Lapiz Blue, 5-door, DSG, stock plus OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45 plus IS-Racing BBK plus Bilstein Clubsport Coilover Kit
Appreciate 0