THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Seatbelt warning issues

09-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Seatbelt warning issues

So the other night I was driving back from a friends late at night, and as I'm driving away down his street my car starts bonging at me telling me my seatbelt isn't buckled up. That was odd since I can't even ride in a car without wearing my seatbelt as it just feels so strange and not right. I checked and the belt was secure so I unbuckled and rebuckled it and it didn't fix it, nor did turning the car on and off and doing the same thing. I was really worried that I was looking forward to an hour of the car serenading me with that wonderful tone but luckily it went away after 5 minutes. I wasn't sure if the car would stop annoying me after a few minutes or if the issue resolved itself, but it didn't do it for the rest of the ride home (thankfully). It didn't do it for a few days after that but it did it again on Friday, so there is definitely something wrong with the car. Made an appointment to bring it in on Thursday to get it looked at.

Now I do have one question though, if the car doesn't think I have my seatbelt on, are my airbags going to function properly if something were to happen?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
JChristie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I was under the impression that the airbags should deploy regardless of seatbelt use. Was the warning specifically for the driver's seat? Any chance there was something heavy on the front passenger seat that might of tricked the car into thinking there was an unbuckled passenger? Otherwise could be a bad sensor I guess. I seem to recall a bunch of X3 owners experiencing similar issues due to faulty sensors in the front passenger seat a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChristie View Post
I was under the impression that the airbags should deploy regardless of seatbelt use. Was the warning specifically for the driver's seat? Any chance there was something heavy on the front passenger seat that might of tricked the car into thinking there was an unbuckled passenger? Otherwise could be a bad sensor I guess. I seem to recall a bunch of X3 owners experiencing similar issues due to faulty sensors in the front passenger seat a few years ago.
Nope, nothing on any of my seats. My friend had just been in the car with me like an hour before that too and nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Often the seat sensor on the passenger is the problem. If you have even a jug o milk it could think that someone is sitting there. If not, have BMW check it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 01:49 AM   #5
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by williewonkerz View Post
Often the seat sensor on the passenger is the problem. If you have even a jug o milk it could think that someone is sitting there. If not, have BMW check it.
Nope, nothing was in the cabin other than myself and my leftover calamari from dinner in the passenger footwell that night.

I supposed the passenger one could have just malfunctioned, but I'll know after I drop it off in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #6
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep

Got the call today that its the buckle itself and that it had to be ordered. Should be ready Monday.
Appreciate 0