BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 concept at Pebble Beach/NYIAS?

03-16-2015, 10:02 PM   #67
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Not defending anyone. As I've said a million times, I want to see this car as bad as anyone else. Hell I've been active in this subforum since the beginning and don't buy into this whole marketing thing.

Regardless, go enjoy your cars and come back when the M2 is released. Thanks Focker
No offense meant, just playing around.
You can attempt to rationalize every last aspect, lack of certain options and features, or proper marketing but it doesn't make it right or acceptable.

It's easy to be patient with a TV E36, what am I to do with a lowly 3er and a luxo barge GT?

Your sidekick Adem has drawn just about every possible curve on the front bumper...it's sad that BMW are making us wait so long without some decent spy shots or renderings....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:58 AM   #68
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

BMW throw us a frekkin' bone over here!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #69
TheJerseyDon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30M3,GTI,718GTS

Does anyone listen to Scott it will be shown in Frankfurt auto show in Sept.. we all want to see but we need to wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #70
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJerseyDon View Post
Does anyone listen to Scott?
More importantly, who cares?

Regardless of what he has to say, he can't expedite the release of the car.
I'll never understand, nor do I care to, why so many people here hang on the guy's every word like he's a scaled down version of Jesus.

The M2 will debut when it does, we'll get the facts when we get them and in the interim it's nice to just wait for new mules.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #71
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJerseyDon View Post
Does anyone listen to Scott it will be shown in Frankfurt auto show in Sept.. we all want to see but we need to wait.
Yeah and not too long after he said that he hinted at Geneva.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #72
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Yeah and not too long after he said that he hinted at Geneva.
Exactly,this thread is about the Concept M2,which he hinted we would see at Geneva.Frankfurt is where they are going to show the production car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #73
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post

I'll never understand, nor do I care to, why so many people here hang on the guy's every word like he's a scaled down version of Jesus.

The M2 will debut when it does, we'll get the facts when we get them and in the interim it's nice to just wait for new mules.
Perfect. Exactly what I've been trying to say
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #74
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Man, I'm really anxious for some new spy shots.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 10:44 PM   #75
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

I find the scarcity of official information on the M2 from BMW AG highly encouraging.

BMW understands quite well that if they deliver an M2 that even remotely lives up to the "1M successor" expectations that have been bestowed upon it by the BMW faithful, sales of the more profitable M4 will inevitably be cannibalized.

So why give customers that are willing to give their hard earn cash to BMW right now for a car in their current lineup a reason to pause and wait until year's end for a future model?

Maybe the boys in Munich really did take the Pyrat II mantra to heart and are getting set to deliver another modern day classic which sadly the new M3/M4 are not.

I for one am betting that BMW isn't going to screw this one up. The M Division deeply understands that their reputation is resting on this one and that they don't need to please everybody with this car...that's what the other M's are for...this one needs to please the people that actually fuel their reputation...the more hardcore enthusiast in the auto press and auto market.

I'm thinking they'll deliver. Deposit for allocation made and fingers crossed
Appreciate 3
      03-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #76
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
I find the scarcity of official information on the M2 from BMW AG highly encouraging.

BMW understands quite well that if they deliver an M2 that even remotely lives up to the "1M successor" expectations that have been bestowed upon it by the BMW faithful, sales of the more profitable M4 will inevitably be cannibalized.

I'm thinking they'll deliver. Deposit for allocation made and fingers crossed
What do you mean close to the 1M successor? If anything it should surpass the 1M as this will be a full blown M car. Heck, the M235i already comes close. So if the M2 only comes close it would be a huge failure on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 11:43 PM   #77
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
M235i already comes close. So if the M2 only comes close it would be a huge failure on BMW.
No offense to the M235i which is a great car, but it only comes close to the 1M in numbers. In driver involvement, feel and satisfaction it's far removed from it and that's what the new M3/M4 are being criticized for. No one is saying that they aren't fast.

I'm not just quoting publications as I have driven both the 1M and the M235i extensively (well, one of them much more extensively )

If numbers were all that mattered we'd all be driving vettes

Last edited by Die ///M Rakete; 03-18-2015 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-19-2015, 12:02 AM   #78
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
No offense to the M235i which is a great car, but it only comes close to the 1M in numbers. In driver involvement, feel and satisfaction it's far removed from it and that's what the new M3/M4 are being criticized for. No one is saying that they aren't fast.

I'm not just quoting publications as I have driven both the 1M and the M235i extensively (well, one of them much more extensively )

If numbers were all that mattered we'd all be driving vettes
No offense taken as I am sure the 1M drives amazingly well. All the new cars have electric steering so it's a bit removed from previous cars. Even though they don't feel as good as in the past, the feedback is still there. Either way, if a new generation of cars only comes close to the older cars, it'll be a let down.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #79
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
What do you mean close to the 1M successor? If anything it should surpass the 1M as this will be a full blown M car. Heck, the M235i already comes close. So if the M2 only comes close it would be a huge failure on BMW.
I'm kind of curious why you think the 1M wasn't a full blown M car for you? Because if that wasn't, the M2 certainly won't be either.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #80
jasonheaddinG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 LBB M2

Quote:
I'm kind of curious why you think the 1M wasn't a full blown M car for you? Because if that wasn't, the M2 certainly won't be either.
doesn't the N54 hold the 1M back from being a "true M"? when i got my 235i I kept telling people that it wasn't an M, a bimmer freak of a friend of mine always said it was the engine. some say transmission and I also hear suspension thrown in. I would like clarification also.

and exactly....if we are getting another "N" engine, no CF roof, what exactly will we have? we have another pseudo M for the entry level buyer that isn't limited production so it's not even as special as the 1..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:10 AM   #81
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonheaddinG View Post
doesn't the N54 hold the 1M back from being a "true M"? when i got my 235i I kept telling people that it wasn't an M, a bimmer freak of a friend of mine always said it was the engine. some say transmission and I also hear suspension thrown in. I would like clarification also.

and exactly....if we are getting another "N" engine, no CF roof, what exactly will we have? we have another pseudo M for the entry level buyer that isn't limited production so it's not even as special as the 1..
It's exactly what you want an M to be. There's no rule book about what makes a real M car, I've always thought that was the stupidest thing ever. Exclusivity is not what makes an M car either IMO.

For me, it's always been about everything added together. Are these not M cars then? Because they have an S52. While it technically has an "S" in the code name, it's really more or less as souped up version of what was in a 328i. To me, this is hardly that different than what BMW is doing with the M2 IMHO.

I happen to really like the M235i. Which was very surprising because I test drove it literally right after I drove an M4 with 6MT. You add the brakes from the M3/4 which are much better, you add the EPS from the M3/4 (they better not skip out on this, or else that'll be a deal breaker for me) which is much better and then you add the looks of an M car. That to me is a winner. Upping the power up a little bit or whatever they do to the N55 is just a bonus for me.

What do I really wish they did? Make it lighter than the M235i. I'm not talking about adding a CF roof so that you can lose 5-10 lbs over a normal sunroof delete car, I'm talking more substantial. Something like 3350 lbs would be good for me (notice I'm not asking something ridiculous like 3000 lbs, unlike some people). We'll see what happens. I plan on ordering a stripper and will probably ditch the exhaust for something else (they're always as heavy as boat anchors).

At the end of the day, I still don't think BMW can manage to butcher this up even if they tried to. The only thing that it'll come down to for me would be the price. Start in the low 50s, I'm OK with that. Get close enough to the F80 prices, then I'm out.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 4
      03-19-2015, 03:05 PM   #82
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post

Were you all satisfied with today's announcement?

As I keep telling a small majority hear you are far too impatient and patience is what you must have because they BMWM need the time and patience to create this car and its sibling.

I don't consider myself a scaled down version of Jesus and this is not religion.
You see what happens in the world when those who distort religion for their own means.
I am not someone who would appreciate a person getting down to lick my boots as I would more than likely to step on their throat.
      03-19-2015, 03:56 PM   #83
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
...BMWM need the time and patience to create this car and its sibling...
Is this a confirmation of a CSL/GTS "sibling" version??
      03-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #84
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Is this a confirmation of a CSL/GTS "sibling" version??
It's right there in the quote that you quoted so I'm going to go with "yes"

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #85
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

[QUOTE=W///;17591473]It's exactly what you want an M to be. There's no rule book about what makes a real M car, I've always thought that was the stupidest thing ever. Exclusivity is not what makes an M car either IMO.

For me, it's always been about everything added together. Are these not M cars then? Because they have an S52. While it technically has an "S" in the code name, it's really more or less as souped up version of what was in a 328i. To me, this is hardly that different than what BMW is doing with the M2 IMHO.

Wow that's a lot of body roll on the lightweight!!!!
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 08:45 PM   #86
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
It's right there in the quote that you quoted so I'm going to go with "yes"

"Thanks" ... but the text I quoted wasn't actually clear on what was meant by sibling.

I have definitely seen the writing on the wall with this, but I'm hesitant to get my hopes up until it's fully confirmed.
      03-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #87
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
"Thanks" ... but the text I quoted wasn't actually clear on what was meant by sibling.

I have definitely seen the writing on the wall with this, but I'm hesitant to get my hopes up until it's fully confirmed.
Haha I know what you mean. They're keeping the mist around it all to keep the hype up I think.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #88
esp42089
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, 08 X3-6m

[QUOTE=Reedomn;17595270]
Quote:
Wow that's a lot of body roll on the lightweight!!!!
Haha, or he was going REALLY fast and got that corner really loaded up! Really an M is about that special sauce. It isn't an engine or a chassis or a look. There is this funny, special, distinct character to them. I could probably tell you an M car having driven it blind for 10 ft. They're just different and it has nothing to do with their specs.
Appreciate 0