BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 concept at Pebble Beach/NYIAS?

03-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #45
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
To be fair, the GT4 is an ultra low production model and the 5th such Cayman (base, S, R, GTS). The Cayman has been around since 2006. I'm sure the anticipation is felt by those hardcore enthusiasts that will be able to get their hands on one (GT4) at launch.

The M2 is brand new, a model presumably harking back to the old ways of the Motorsport division. I'd think there'd be more hype leading up to its grand arrival.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #46
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I have called the porsche twice about the GT4. I can get one in july!
Are you a current GT3 owner. If not, you're extremely lucky.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

To those who think that an M2 release may suck: an M2 release is a mathematically defined region of car world spacetime exhibiting such a strong gravitational pull that no particle or electromagnetic radiation can escape from it. The theory of general BMW relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass can deform car world spacetime to form an M2.
      03-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #48
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I have called the porsche twice about the GT4. I can get one in july!
Still hoping for news about the M2 soon. Otherwise it could be a GT4 for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
Are you a current GT3 owner. If not, you're extremely lucky.
Advevo has two 1Ms (AW + BSM) and is known over here for his superior driving skills.

I also sat down for a chat with Porsche. I had the certainty of securing a slot for a Cayman GT4 (#2 on the list) and they were prepared to take over the 1M. I cancelled the 'window of opportunity' (high GT4 demand) after my wife and daughter talked me out of the GT4 idea (and keeping my 1M + adding a GT4 would imply managing 4 cars). They both like the 1M more than I realized.

Here's Advevo taking his 1M out for a drive. Let's admit it: the majority of us can't drive that way, or don't even dare to do so under those treacherous winter circumstances (the roads are empty for a reason):

03-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #49
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
There really wasn't. My friend was following it closely because that was most likely going to his car. We knew absolutely nothing about the engine (that they were going to stuff the 3.8L), that it was going to be MT only... these were all rumors.

There were just spy shots. That's it. So how is the M2 any different in that regards to information?

You got one side saying that the M2 will be too heavy for what it is. Then you got guys like you saying it needs cooled and heated seats. Can't win

Again, I ask you, so what? That is not how it works. Really, what else do you guys need to know, short of a full reveal? We already know the engine and trans, and roughly what it'll look like. Hell that's more than we ever knew about the GT4 before its release.

If the thought of a compact, RWD, manual transmission BMW for a somewhat affordable price (this is relative of course) doesn't do enough to excite you guys on its own, then I don't know what will.

Next week is officially the first week in Spring. I fully expect more spy shots at the very least to come out soon enough.
I know that's not how it works, I'm just explaining why I think I get the irrational emotions of disappointment. Trust me, I get what's going on anand why BMW is making the decisions they are making. But that doesn't mean my raw emotions won't be filled with disappointment. I was just explaining them.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #50
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Impressive driving skills there
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #51
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
To those who think that an M2 release may suck: an M2 release is a mathematically defined region of car world spacetime exhibiting such a strong gravitational pull that no particle or electromagnetic radiation can escape from it. The theory of general BMW relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass can deform car world spacetime to form an M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #52
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

This week's "defend BMW" crown shall be bestowed upon W///.
Adem1534 is a close 2nd, usually telling me to chill and quit poking the Kermit Man into spilling more details.
You 2 should get free M2s for your efforts.
I gave up long ago and will continue to rant, apologies not, in advance!
Boss driving by AdvEvo, thanks Artemis for posting!!

Focker out
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #53
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Adem1534 is a close 2nd, usually telling me to chill and quit poking the Kermit Man into spilling more details.

Focker out
Not defending anyone. As I've said a million times, I want to see this car as bad as anyone else. Hell I've been active in this subforum since the beginning and don't buy into this whole marketing thing.

Regardless, go enjoy your cars and come back when the M2 is released. Thanks Focker
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:21 PM   #54
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Why the impatience? BMW will release the M2 when it is good and ready to do so. They have to complete final tests before the final sign off and that includes cold weather and hot weather testing which we will see during the duration of the year. Some pre-ex emptive marketing will begin soon.
Excuse the collective impatience, but please internalize the narrative here. There a good number of people who are cross shopping the M2 with a car that has a base price of $85k.

These folks, like me, aren't interested in a fast GT (i.e. M4), but rather, a properly balanced driver's car... something you can reliably auto-cross or track from the factory... something missing entirely from the existing stable.

Let me be clear, I am unabashedly a kool-aid drinking BMW fan and Iove my 1M, my X3 and the long list of BMW's that preceded them... but I've driven an Cayman S and I know that the grass is pretty darn green on that side of the fence.

I understand that BMW can't be everything to everyone one (and that this forum may not be a statistically relevant portion of its base)... but BMW is synonymous with motorsports, servicing this constituency should be important!
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #55
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have had a gt3 997 mk2. But sold after 2 years. To much understeer for me.

But the Porsche quality was awesome. If you came off the track the car felt ever better then new. The build quality is out of this world! if you come off the track with a Bmw m car you always feel some new sounds and you feel the bushes gets more play etc.

I have also test driven an m4 not a hair on my body wants that car to big for me. Maybe as a family car an m3. But then it s to much the same layout for me. Front engine rwd drive.

In 2014 I have sold my black 1m could get a good price for it.

I have an new Audi rs3 on order for a family car. Quattro 4wd for daily use and some 4wd drifts in the snow. I am not a big Audi fan but it s a nice family car which gives some fun on the family trip also

I am interested In a gt4 but only for track day use. No registration plate.

When the m2 comes and it brings same amount of fun as the 1m coupe I might trade my 1m coupe for one. Time will tell!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #56
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

But the Porsche quality was awesome. If you came off the track the car felt ever better then new. The build quality is out of this world! if you come off the track with a Bmw m car you always feel some new sounds and you feel the bushes gets more play etc.

I have also test driven an m4 not a hair on my body wants that car to big for me. Maybe as a family car an m3. But then it s to much the same layout for me. Front engine rwd drive.

I have an new Audi rs3 on order for a family car. Quattro 4wd for daily use and some 4wd drifts in the snow. I am not a big Audi fan but it s a nice family car which gives some fun on the family trip also

When the m2 comes and it brings same amount of fun as the 1m coupe I might trade my 1m coupe for one. Time will tell!
That M2 better be damn special for you to get rid of the 1M now. Part of me thinks they'll be very similar cars, but I guess we'll see.

To me, the ultimate garage would be my E92, a GT4 and an F80.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 09:14 PM   #57
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo

well your 1M is safe then! I think the M2 will be a really good car; but pretty much a 0% chance it will be as 'fun' as the 1M

The 1M was only MADE for fun....the M2 is being properly engineered and developed----which means it will probably be a better overall car; but not more fun.

I am, however, very confused about how you thought a 997 GT3 had too much understeer....shocked really! do you think it maybe didn't suit your driving style? I've never heard that before, man!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #58
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What do you mean? Understeer was one of the main things Porsche addressed in moving from the 997 to the 991 body style. Very light front end so you needed to get some weight on it to avoid understeer. But it was still there a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 05:13 AM   #59
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I like to steer with the rear end on throttle. Gt3 would give to much under steer. When you lift off the throttle mid corner a gt3 rear end would come sideways.

Gt3 was always under steer or to much oversteer angle when lift off throttle!

I like to balance on under and oversteer and play with the throttle or left foot brake mid corner.

The 1m is a dream car to do that stuff! I even doubt a cayman gt4 can do That so nicely because of the engine weight lying on the rear axle.

Last edited by Advevo; 03-16-2015 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #60
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I like to steer with the rear end on throttle. Gt3 would give to much under steer. When you lift off the throttle mid corner a gt3 rear end would come sideways.
I like to balance on under and oversteer and play with the throttle or left foot brake mid corner.
The 1m is a dream car to do that stuff! I even doubt a cayman gt4 can do That so nicely because of the engine weight lying on the rear axle.
Beware of snap oversteer in a mid engined car. If unexpected, it can catch the driver off guard when cornering, ultimately leading to loss of control of the car.
http://www.drivingfast.net/car-control/oversteer.htm
      03-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #61
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Ik like to steer with the rear end on throttle. Gt3 would give to much under steer. When you lift off the throttle mid corner a gt3 rear end would come sideways.

I always thought that it was called oversteer---when the rear steps out.

Also, the reason why older 911s particularly the 930 Turbos (The Widow Maker) were harder to drive was of what you just described. People would make the mistake of lifting off the throttle mid corner (like you can do in a front engined car like your 1M) and since the car is rear engined, the rear would step out real quick---like throwing a hammer.

With the Cayman, the engine weight is not lying on the rear axle like the 911, it is in front of the rear axle.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:50 AM   #62
jasonheaddinG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post

Focker out

hahahaha!!!

thank god someone finally said this!!! I call this dude "scott27". to put this very simply, I can afford an M4, don't want one because they are huge, I have a 235i so I expect the M2 to step it up a lot and it seems on a daily basis I am being let down because of f'ing marketing. do you think I care about that? first it was the engine, then we had to focus on weight but wait...no cf roof?? oh...that's ok right? (still not sure why this is...or is the part where the entry level M car and affordibality comes into play??) I don't want an entry level M car, I want a drivers car that we all know BMW can make. lastly the indi color thing...the bland offerings that are put out need work. to be fair I am a fan of SO/AY/YMB, but with SO already gone I'm sure somehow we won't get anything nearly as good. Especially knowing two confirmed already and unfortunately the blue isn't for everyone and I don't care for it either. having the option to go individual would be something I would jump all over, no questions asked. but as expected, I see #27 has chimed in again letting everyone know why this wouldn't be a good idea.... cripes.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #63
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...led-on-may-16/

Well, this is good to know!! I bet it will be much more refined, I'm excited for it. It's going to be smaller.

Last edited by Adem1534; 03-16-2015 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #64
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post

Well, this is good to know!! I bet it will be much more refined, I'm excited for it. It's going to be smaller.
I don't see this being any smaller than the Mustang. More refined I can agree with, but still way too big for what I'm looking for.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #65
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I don't see this being any smaller than the Mustang. More refined I can agree with, but still way too big for what I'm looking for.
It's being built on the ATS platform, so it should be a bit smaller than the mustang. I think it'll be awesome. The SS will be a beast.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:56 AM   #66
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post

What's even better is that Cadillac is planning a smaller car to fit under the ATS. That's right, a 2 series/CLA, A3 competitor. And last I checked, they had said that it would be RWD.
Appreciate 0