BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 render updated

02-26-2015, 09:00 PM   #89
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsw View Post
Praying Bumper and front fenders direct fit on a m235i , not to be a fake m2 but the 2 series wheel fitment is pretty weak, In a few years I'd love to use Oem parts to gain the width up front and maybe figure out something for the rear!!
You'd need new fenders along with the wheel house liners too.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #90
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I'm not sure what surprises me most in this thread, the possibility of an M2 CSL version, or that some people have never heard of the E9 CSL.
^^^^Yes!!!!!! This.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #91
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Praying Bumper and front fenders direct fit on a m235i , not to be a fake m2 but the 2 series wheel fitment is pretty weak, In a few years I'd love to use Oem parts to gain the width up front and maybe figure out something for the rear!!
You'd need new fenders along with the wheel house liners too.
Yeah the liners would be different for sure but I don't think that would be any harder todo / get then the oem bumper and fenders anyway , the rear is gonna be the hardest of it all obviously , I plan on keeping my m235i for at least 6-8years maybe longer, changing from DD to Full track toy so I wouldn't mind hacking it up . Always loved seeing 135->1m conversions especially when they drop s65s in them
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:59 PM   #92
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Yeah the liners would be different for sure but I don't think that would be any harder todo / get then the oem bumper and fenders anyway , the rear is gonna be the hardest of it all obviously , I plan on keeping my m235i for at least 6-8years maybe longer, changing from DD to Full track toy so I wouldn't mind hacking it up . Always loved seeing 135->1m conversions especially when they drop s65s in them
Look at the outside corner of the the headlights on the M235i and then of the red M2 prototype. It won't be a direct fit. The M2s front fenders are much wider and you would need to replace additional panels.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #93
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
Look at the outside corner of the the headlights on the M235i and then of the red M2 prototype. It won't be a direct fit. The M2s front fenders are much wider and you would need to replace additional panels.
Even if it's the whole front clip it is what it is Im willing todo what it takes unless it is way cheaper to do full custom fenders like pert did , I Know it's not just changing the bumper skins but it's gonna be possible and won't be a cheap one two three , and I'm more then cool with that! I'm going to upgrade the turbo to a hybrid stage 2 along the way so adding adding width is going to be needed , I'd love to be able to run a m2 fitment which will be atleast a 275 section tire
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #94
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Your point being?

I "know" of it...maybe not down to the chassis code number but I don't see anything more worth knowing about. Frankly it looks like a boring 70's car. I appreciate that some folks aspired to have it when it was 1st released and thought it was the best thing since sliced German bread.

I didn't pop out until the late 70's so what do I know? I'm sure that some folks will think I'm a cave man for salivating at the Lime Rock M3...30 years from now.

So be surprised all you want. The car had it's time and place in BMW history.

Next!

P.S. The BMW M2 has already come and gone, as has the new M3. Look at the "tea-sipping-Kermit-the-Frog's" (i.e. Scott) signature and the future is already here..."electrified."

What we buy now or tomorrow is a means to an end for BMW to get to where it really wants to be...
Scott throws us a bone and we jump for joy, but he's holding onto the rest of the chicken and is yet to feast on it...
I was born in the late 70s, and i know tha the e9 is iconic. I've only seen 1 or two in person. Beautiful cars...i believe the reason why past and present 3 series have such a airy looking cabin is due to the e9's influence.

Thing is, the Lime Rock Edition M3, is just an Edition, not really special but paint and some stickers. We Americans didn't get the GTS or the CRT, if I recall.

There were not that many E9 3.0 built or sold in the US, and far less of the CSL sort. And the Batmobile racecar is basically where it all started for M cars. It is the grand daddy of them all. So in that it holds a certain sway over many a BMW and car enthusiast, including Jeremy Clarkson, who owned a CSL
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 12:46 AM   #95
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

absolutely LOVE the e9 and even more the CSL. know a chap that has 2 CSLs and a yellow CSi. What beauts!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #96
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU
I'm not sure what surprises me most in this thread, the possibility of an M2 CSL version, or that some people have never heard of the E9 CSL.
You find it surprising that people do not know of this car? Really? Well let me give you an example of how that happens. Born in 74, to parents who were both blue collar and never went to a day of school past grade 12. I was raised idolizing cars such as the '68 Shelby, while my father drive a Plymouth Reliant. My first car was foreign (family rebel), a 62 VW beetle. From that car I grew to appreciate German automobiles. It all changed for me at the Seattle Auto Show in the early 2000's when I say in an E46 M3. Wow. From that point on I told myself if I could ever afford one I would own an M car. I'm still working towards that. Anyway in a nutshell that's how it happened for me. Bottom line I'm excited about this car, and where it came from.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #97
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
At this point I would still get the M2 and IF they made a CSL/GTS version in the future I would consider it. But chances of it coming to he States is probably pretty small. We never get any of the cool cars
I see this notion brought up over and over in the forums.

WE NEVER GET ANY OF THE COOL CARS... NO M3 GTS, and probably no CSL in the future... etc. etc.

In the US, we get something much greater than this. We get a mass-production or group buy pricing on all our BMW cars.

Look at the MSRP for any of our cars purchased in the US, and folks overseas pay 30 to 100 % more than we do in USD for our cars.

So, BMW cannot afford to bring these really rare cars to the US, because the price would be unsound in our market, i.e. they would not sell.

Furthermore, the testing, and adding of all regulatory checks and using unsold cars for these purposes would decimate the remaining number of cars available for sale... say in the case of a GTS import.

These are my thoughts on why we do not get the COOL CARS that the rest of the world gets. And the reason is we get the COOL PRICING on the cars we can buy here.

End of story.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2015, 09:07 AM   #98
DTR
1 day...
United_States
Rep
Drives: The "OTHER" German

Quote:
if the procedure is the same way as the 135i/128i > 1M conversion, then you would be able to swap the front bumper and fenders. the skirts may not align(again based on the 1M conversions) and also the allocation of the reservoirs(again based on the 1M conv.)

BUT someone will do it... someone with pockets first
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #99
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
At this point I would still get the M2 and IF they made a CSL/GTS version in the future I would consider it. But chances of it coming to he States is probably pretty small. We never get any of the cool cars
I see this notion brought up over and over in the forums.

WE NEVER GET ANY OF THE COOL CARS... NO M3 GTS, and probably no CSL in the future... etc. etc.

In the US, we get something much greater than this. We get a mass-production or group buy pricing on all our BMW cars.

Look at the MSRP for any of our cars purchased in the US, and folks overseas pay 30 to 100 % more than we do in USD for our cars.

So, BMW cannot afford to bring these really rare cars to the US, because the price would be unsound in our market, i.e. they would not sell.

Furthermore, the testing, and adding of all regulatory checks and using unsold cars for these purposes would decimate the remaining number of cars available for sale... say in the case of a GTS import.

These are my thoughts on why we do not get the COOL CARS that the rest of the world gets. And the reason is we get the COOL PRICING on the cars we can buy here.

End of story.
That was a very horribly worded and long winded method of saying US FEDERALIZATION LAWS suck.

Which I agree.

And yes, due to a myriad of reasons we do get our vehicles cheaply here compared to other countries, Germany in particular.

I certainly agree with almost all that you said however I disagree that the pricing for specialty vehicles here would be unsound.

if an I8 can sell at 130k here then an M4 GTS can sell at 110k even if it is 35 k above the regular M4 price. This is a huge market and there are plenty of wealthy people. Other manufacturers bring their special editions here. The selling price/affordability of the vehicle is not the issue.

The costs involved with bringing each special edition to the U.S. Are hefty.

However, the e36 m3 CSL was sold here. It can be done. And if it takes BMW selling a bunch of 2 series gran tourers and 1 series fwd vehicles to decide that they can maybe splurge and bring a crazy car like an M4 GTS or M2 GTS to the US MARKET that's certainly fine by me.

Actually it would leave me with a very smug smile on my face... Perhaps sipping tea
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #100
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
I was born in the late 70s, and i know tha the e9 is iconic. I've only seen 1 or two in person. Beautiful cars...i believe the reason why past and present 3 series have such a airy looking cabin is due to the e9's influence.

Thing is, the Lime Rock Edition M3, is just an Edition, not really special but paint and some stickers. We Americans didn't get the GTS or the CRT, if I recall.

There were not that many E9 3.0 built or sold in the US, and far less of the CSL sort. And the Batmobile racecar is basically where it all started for M cars. It is the grand daddy of them all. So in that it holds a certain sway over many a BMW and car enthusiast, including Jeremy Clarkson, who owned a CSL
I believe the Lime Rock Edition M3 did not have a speed governor, so that it can achieve its natural top speed, and the ECU was programmed slightly differently from standard M3 vehicles with less interference from the dynamic stability control and a less interfering traction control. I'm quoting from "wikipedia" which is hardly reliable but it makes sense that the edition has more than just carbon fiber bits and pieces, an inconel exhaust, a cool paint and a sticker.

The larger point I was trying to make is that each car has it's moment and place in history, in an automaker's portfolio.
I don't expect the next generation to have the same level of appreciations for the cars of our present, as we do today.

So if you accidentally come across a clean LRP M3 example drop me a PM.
Until then, I'll wait to see what this M2 business is all about and early next year going to decide which ///M is right for me (past and present).
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #101
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
I believe the Lime Rock Edition M3 did not have a speed governor, so that it can achieve its natural top speed, and the ECU was programmed slightly differently from standard M3 vehicles with less interference from the dynamic stability control and a less interfering traction control. I'm quoting from "wikipedia" which is hardly reliable but it makes sense that the edition has more than just carbon fiber bits and pieces, an inconel exhaust, a cool paint and a sticker.

The larger point I was trying to make is that each car has it's moment and place in history, in an automaker's portfolio.
I don't expect the next generation to have the same level of appreciations for the cars of our present, as we do today.

Until then, I'll wait to see what this M2 business is all about and early next year going to decide which ///M is right for me (past and present).
Keep a watch on Carmax. The ones near me always have a stock of e92 M3s. And on Jalopnik they found a 1M for $49k, it had 57k miles, though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 01:23 PM   #102
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

That's just the Competition Pack, which can be had on any later model E9x M3. The Lime Rock doesn't even close to compare to the GTS' or CSL's. Pretty much just an orange paint job and a plaque that says Lime Rock. Pretty much a marketing move as far as I'm concerned.

FYI, I don't think the ZCP package is worth it at all. I lowered my car to the height I wanted, and also running a European spec M Dynamic Mode, which is way more aggressive than the US ZCP.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #103
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i

This thread has gotten way off topic, came to see new info on the render or thoughts about it, and instead it's about CSL this, and CSL that...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #104
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Your point being?

I "know" of it...maybe not down to the chassis code number but I don't see anything more worth knowing about. Frankly it looks like a boring 70's car. I appreciate that some folks aspired to have it when it was 1st released and thought it was the best thing since sliced German bread.

I didn't pop out until the late 70's so what do I know? I'm sure that some folks will think I'm a cave man for salivating at the Lime Rock M3...30 years from now.

So be surprised all you want. The car had it's time and place in BMW history.

Next!

That's not a comment I would expect to hear from another enthusiast. I'll take that boring '70s car any day of the week along with many other cars from that era and the decades before. The 3.0 CSL is the origin of the M division. Oh, and I popped out in the early '80s.
      02-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #105
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccappa View Post
This thread has gotten way off topic, came to see new info on the render or thoughts about it, and instead it's about CSL this, and CSL that...
Well, to connect the dots, it was said the render should take more influence from the Vision GT car, which in turn got some styling inspiration from the original CSL.
      02-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #106
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU135i View Post
You find it surprising that people do not know of this car? Really? Well let me give you an example of how that happens. Born in 74, to parents who were both blue collar and never went to a day of school past grade 12. I was raised idolizing cars such as the '68 Shelby, while my father drive a Plymouth Reliant. My first car was foreign (family rebel), a 62 VW beetle. From that car I grew to appreciate German automobiles. It all changed for me at the Seattle Auto Show in the early 2000's when I say in an E46 M3. Wow. From that point on I told myself if I could ever afford one I would own an M car. I'm still working towards that. Anyway in a nutshell that's how it happened for me. Bottom line I'm excited about this car, and where it came from.

For the general public, no not really. For a BMW enthusiast, yes I do. There's nothing wrong with idolizing '60s Shelby cars. I would love to have a Shelby Cobra or Mustang in my garage. You've liked BMWs for over a decade now after seeing that E46 M3, so I would assume you'd want to know more about them which would probably lead to learning of the prior M cars and their history. The important thing is you know about it now.
      02-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #107
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Originally Posted by JasonCSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
^^^^Yes!!!!!! This.
It must be an age thing... or lack of history research.

The E9 is the great granddaddy to ALL the BMW performance coupes.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #108
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That's not a comment I would expect to hear from another enthusiast. I'll take that boring '70s car any day of the week along with many other cars from that era and the decades before. The 3.0 CSL is the origin of the M division. Oh, and I popped out in the early '80s.
That's your opinion.
But we are discussing the upcoming M2 after all, aren't we? Not scheming how to get into 3.0 CSL. Put your money where your mouth is.

Given the option of a new M2/3/4 or that 70's show, where would you end up?

I'm going the route of a new car, which brings with it more safety technology, driving dynamics, reliability, luxury, and electronic toys.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #109
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
That's your opinion.
But we are discussing the upcoming M2 after all, aren't we? Not scheming how to get into 3.0 CSL. Put your money where your mouth is.

Given the option of a new M2/3/4 or that 70's show, where would you end up?

I'm going the route of a new car, which brings with it more safety technology, driving dynamics, reliability, luxury, and electronic toys.

If money is no object, I would absolutely take the 3.0 CSL over a new M2/3/4. That is also assuming I have another car for a daily driver. If I could only have one car as my sole driver, I would pick a newer M.
      03-02-2015, 12:38 PM   #110
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

e9 3.0 CSL is more of a BMW ///M car than anything new from the stable.
The raw simplicity and ACTUAL racing heritage sets it MILES ahead of anything since the e30 ///M3 which had similar success
Appreciate 0