BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Would you jump on a first gen M2 or wait for a GTS/CSL version?

03-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #45
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotelGuy View Post
First year M2 for me. I held myself back from the 1M and kick myself over and over. I bought my STi with the new body on the first year and haven't had one issue with the car. Maybe I treat my cars differently than others and check fluid levels on pretty much every fill up.

I think we will see a M2 CLS type car but I really doubt we will get it here in the States. I won't be wishing and waiting for one either. Car companies all throw these special cars out there but I highly doubt the states will see it.

I'll keep my STi as my daily and throw this M2 into the mix. Just waiting to see what the final specs will be. I don't want to have to mod as much as I did with the STi to get it to where I wanted it.
I have a gut feeling that we may finally get the CSL'ish model in the USA. I never really paid attention to the cars during the 90's when I was raising my sons. My oldest as a young teenager made me aware of the JDM Evo's and Sti's but I thought it'd never make it to the states.

Then it happened. Would have picked up an Sti but living in a limited market state (one dealer within 2500 miles) there was only the current year model and I wanted to pickup the previous year one. So, I picked up an Evo instead ( I did have to fly 2500 miles to pick it up so I wouldn't get raped by price).

Fast forward a few years, I bought an '09 135, stripper model--no bells nor whistles: no leather, base stereo, etc. Would have pulled the trigger on the 1M if I didn't buy the 135. Hindsight 20/20, I wish I had, but it really wasn't likely since I wasn't in the market.

Then I decided to buy the 135is in '13 unsure of what the replacement would be like, and the 3er was way too porky for my taste. Fortunately, BMW did a good job on the 2er.

I'm not planning to get the M2 during the first production year, so I have time to wait. I would love a lightweight version of it, even if it means an I4. If rumors become reality for the CSL then it would probably be the one I get.

With the Focus RS coming and the RS3 possibly coming, I think that now is the time for the CSL to finally make it across the pond. If not, I'll order a 'base' M2 which wouldn't be too shabby.

Like Golffer mentioned, there's always something new/better coming down the pipe. Yeah, it took a while before the possiblity of a 1M'ish turned into a reality; but, the M2 won't be limited production so there's plenty of time to decide.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #46
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
I wouldn't say NEED, but I say it is expected. I think the sweet spot is around 420-430 whp with a tune. Head over to the M3/M4 forums where their cars come stock with that amount of hp and see how many of them are complaining about power. Quite the opposite actually, many of those guys are tuning and modding already to get to the high 400s/ low 500s. I was pulling around 380-390 whp on my n54 135i, with the confidence of a better suspension and thicker tires I expect more power out of the M2.
You are missing the point here. M2 CSL/GTS is a much more track focus car than the rest of the M siblings hence earning the glory of the CSL/GTS bloodline. How many people complain there is too much power with the M3/M4 on the track?

People who complain too much power with the M3/M4 are infants in the high performance world and better suit to drive a 435i or 335i. They are attracted by the M badge but don't have the capability to handle these cars and want to bring down the performance of the car to suit their skills. How ridicules is that.

Expected or need are just words. The end result is what will win my deal or not. If the M2 or CSL is under 400hp, BMW can keep their car.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #47
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
You are missing the point here. M2 CSL/GTS is a much more track focus car than the rest of the M siblings hence earning the glory of the CSL/GTS bloodline. How many people complain there is too much power with the M3/M4 on the track?

People who complain too much power with the M3/M4 are infants in the high performance world and better suit to drive a 435i or 335i. They are attracted by the M badge but don't have the capability to handle these cars and want to bring down the performance of the car to suit their skills. How ridicules is that.

Expected or need are just words. The end result is what will win my deal or not. If the M2 or CSL is under 400hp, BMW can keep their car.
Yeah semantics I guess, but we are agreeing. Baseline for me is the M2 should be able to pull out 420-430 whp with solely a tune. With the anticipated power output of 370-380 (probably close to whp) then 50-60 hp increase should be feasible as long as the N55 has decent tuning potential.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 12:13 AM   #48
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
SCOTT just mentioned that BMW MAY be investigating a more hardcore M2 with more cues from the vision GT. Personally, I am extremely interested in a more intense M2 but will still wait to determine if the base M2 will meet my needs. Things that may have me wait until a possible announcement of a GTS/CSL version would be the lack of a VF roof option, weight > 3400 lbs, the N55 not having the initial HP desired or tuning potential. If a buffed version would to be announced within the first year of the M2 with CF roof, the S55, better looks, and a price 10-15k above the M2 I may just have to wait... God damnit
$10-15k? I'm sorry but I literally laughed out loud. GTS/CSL's don't even come to the US when they exist. The E92 M3 GTS cost more than a 911 GT3 while the E46 M3 CSL was something like $30k more than the regular M3.

Personally, I'd never be interested in those cars. That's way too far into Porsche territory. Not to mention if you are concerned about the weight, stop loading up these cars with so many options. Then mod it yourself (that's half the fun for me right there!)

My 2 cents
+1

GTS/CSL models are great and I'm gonna love another existing, if a m2GTS was sold here itwould be the first GTS/CSL in America kinda doubt they'll be sold here,. And like was said that cayman GT4 is right in the price range of a likely M2GTS

Porsche does a better hardcore sports car then BMW imo and if the past is any indication in sure m2gts will have everything going for it but the price may put it where many will just opt for a gt3/gt4 at least for me... Then again it's only speculation until we see what Bmw releases
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #49
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

The good thing is that the Cayman GT4 is pulling some M3 buyers. I am one, getting the GT4. If Bmw is planning to make the M4GT I feel it would be a waste of time. The CSL/GT should be based on the lightest car. If they can get the M2 CSL down to 3100lbs and if it's a great drivers car at the cost 20K less than the GT4. I'm sure it would be a great hit and would be the best M3 ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #50
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr
The good thing is that the Cayman GT4 is pulling some M3 buyers. I am one, getting the GT4. If Bmw is planning to make the M4GT I feel it would be a waste of time. The CSL/GT should be based on the lightest car. If they can get the M2 CSL down to 3100lbs and if it's a great drivers car at the cost 20K less than the GT4. I'm sure it would be a great hit and would be the best M3 ever.
Wow 3100lbs would take monumental effort on the 2 platform I think, I agree with your sentiment but the CLAR next gen platform is needed for this IMO.
      03-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #51
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
Wow 3100lbs would take monumental effort on the 2 platform I think, I agree with your sentiment but the CLAR next gen platform is needed for this IMO.
3100 lbs / ± 1400 kg: nick 2 of the 6 cylinders, strip it to the very essence and use extensively CF and CFRP, and BMW might be onto something challenging for the track.