THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Puff of Smoke on Start-Up

03-14-2024, 02:38 AM   #1
BiggestBMWFan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i, BMW 330i

Question Puff of Smoke on Start-Up

So, my wife recently purchased a 2014 BMW 228i.
The car has 56,000 miles on the clock.

This morning when she started the car there was a puff of white/grey smoke. It is the first time I've seen the car do this. I don't know if it's worth mentioning, but the car had been standing for about six days.

The 228i's have the dual tailpipes and the one was very black and wet.

Is this normal?

I don't know if it is related but I have also noticed that if my wife starts the car in the morning and immediately selects drive or reverse the revs fluctuate (hunting) quite badly. It will go from say 1,000 rpm to 400 rpm and then back to 1,000 rpm. As the revs drop it almost sounds as though its about to stall, but then recovers as the revs climb back up. The revs will fluctuate 2 - 3 times. The strange thing is if you start the car and leave it in park without selecting drive or reserve it does not happen. If you let it idle for a few seconds until the fast idle drops and the select drive or reverse it is fine.

I enquired with my local BMW dealer and this is the explanation I received: This is normal behavior. During the initial startup the vehicle’s main computer makes the injectors overfuel. This is to warm up the catalytic convertor as quickly as possible. When selecting a gear, this confuses the computer and it now “hunts” in the rev range because it’s still overfueling. There is nothing wrong and all cars act similarly in this regard.

My 2015 BMW 330i does not do this at all.

Is it normal, or should I be concerned?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 03:52 AM   #2
james4321
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 335i+

Normal
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 05:49 AM   #3
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

The "white/gray" smoke is probably condensation that has built up in the exhaust system while the vehicle was sitting. As for the rev hunting issue, all I can say is my 2016 228i does not do this.
Appreciate 0