THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M2 vs. Used M3

02-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

M2 vs. Used M3

If the upcoming M2 is going to be a refreshed 1M (as the 2-series as a whole is rumored to be) I'm thinking there will be a lot of cross-shopping among the M models. When the 1M came out in 2011 the e90/92/93 M3s were still relatively expensive, however in a year or two there will be a lot of low-milleage M3s on the market that will sell for half the price of a new M2.

As I already have a 135i and will probably keep it for a long time, I want my next BMW to have under the hood something other than the next-generation N54/N55. It seems like now more than ever the V8 M3 is becoming an extremely attractive option as the value dips well below what the M2 is expected to go for.

Thoughts?
      02-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

M3 coupe is a timeless classic. But I want something lighter, and more tossable car than my 335i.

The reviews of the M135i are outstanding, so I would think the M235i would be an excellent dd that is fun.

Top Gear stated if you are thinking about the ToyoSubu twins, spend the extra money and get a M135i.

They also named it sports car of the year with the new boxster s.

The only car I see comparing the M235i to is a redesigned Audi TT.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
If the M2 proves its worth I'll just get it in addition.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

When the 1M came out, used V8 M3s were already much cheaper than new 1Ms. In fact given the MSRP plus that many dealers were charging, it was easily possible to cross-shop older new M3s still stuck on dealer lots, and dealers with limited allocation would regularly try to talk prospective 1M buyers into the M3. I'm sure that with the M2 there will be plenty of people weighing the choice again.

I'm certain the M2 will be significantly faster that the 1M (though I do worry it won't be as much fun). It's clear the 1M's performance was limited by a) a rushed development, and more importantly b) a desire not the exceed the M3. By the time the M2 gets here a new significantly faster M4 will be out, allowing the M2 to get quicker without exceeding its big brother. Since the 1M is already quicker than the V8 M3 in many situations, I expect the M2 will show a clear set to tail lights to the V8 M3 when it gets here.

Raw numbers are of little use in the real world, however, and I hope most will make the decision based on the different driving experience the cars will offer. To me they will be very different cars, and the V8 M3, while a great car, just isn't my particular brand of vodka due largely to the size. For my use I much prefer the 1M, and wouldn't trade for an equal condition M3 even if the M3 came with a small bag of cash in the back. If the M2 is a similar driving experience I know which one I'd choose. However those that are looking for a different driving experience will feel equally strongly in the opposite direction, particularly those that fall in love with the V8. I certainly think everyone should experience a powerful, high revving normally aspirated motor in their automotive lifetimes, especially as they may soon become nearly extinct. For you, coming from a 135i, sure give it a try.

The other question you perhaps should be asking, however, is new M2 or used M4? Since the M4 will be available sooner, used examples will likely be going for M2 money when the M2 first hits the showroom.
      03-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

I am also awaiting next gen STI, could be extremely nice if they take BRZ and make it 330hp awd STI/BRZ.
Why not S3 and A45 AMG? Those have potential to be great too. More of M2 competitors though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post

The only car I see comparing the M235i to is a redesigned Audi TT.

Last edited by amdmaxx; 03-01-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
I am also awaiting next gen STI, could be extremely nice if they take BRZ and make it 330hp awd STI/BRZ.
Why not S3 and A45 AMG? Those have potential to be great too. More of M2 competitors though..
Not all of us want or like awd (pay no attention to my wife's car). But a more powerful rwd BRZ would indeed be a great thing, and likely cause me to stop waiting for something like the M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

I can't wait for M2...It is gonna be an amazing car. Although BMW brakes are good, i am hoping they up the anty a bit and put Brembo's on the 2M as well. They missed that on the 1M. I do agree with most posts on here the current M3 is just to heavy and big compared to the 1 series and yes it seems slower than my 135i especially down low..BUT the V8 sounds amazing in the upper RPM's..something the 1M can't match and i am sure neither will the M2, but for normal daily driving i do prefer to feel the TQ down low so,,,,sign me up for the M2....and hopefully BMW will offer a better color selection than the 1M...I want a Blue color like LeMans but nicer LOL..