THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe and 2 Series Gran Sport Tourer : Dr Jekyll & Herr Hyde

10-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #45
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Can't wait to see these models released
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #46
M ETT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, F30 EBII

@SCOTT, Since you seem to be reading this post, here's a wish from one customer:
- Make a car just like the second picture (GST).
- Summon the M-Fairy
- Have her (or him, as he is probably a Herr Doktor Ingenieur) wave the tune wand at the N54 (up to say 365hp-ish)
- Have her stick on a CFRP roof with "Zagato-style" bumps just like the M6
- Offer a 6MT and a decent dual clutch as an option
- Offer Bucket seats as an option
- Summon my local BMW-dealer
- Have him (I know its a he) show me the dotted line.

And we all lived happily ever after ...

Last edited by M ETT; 10-03-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #47
Wolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: on hold

I miss the days when korean auto manufacturers copied German manufacturers.. Greed always back fires, just sayin'
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW have tapped into this by mirroring typical BMW dynamics and steering communication within the new UKL cars.
You mean massive body roll, a steering system that is not connected to the front wheels, and the engine note played through the speaker system?!?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #48
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

235i Gran Coupe might be my next car

E46 size, beautiful shape, and modern engines? Sign me up
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #49
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
BMW "premium feel" in small segment usually means high price, BMW badge and often weird styling.

Audi does "premium feel" much better in small cars segment. It's interiors quality is superb through the range (look at A1) and while they also charge quite a bit, at least you get almost A8 quality cabin in a small city car. Unfortunately when it comes to 1 series the cabin materials are certainly not 7 or even 5 series good. It's just "premium" price.
      10-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #50
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
But GST is designed to be more sporting and innovative to the customer.
One promise is made no matter if the car is FWD or RWD BMW aim to offer customers the most sporting , dynamic , innovative and exciting propositions in the entry segment.

The 2er Gran Coupe and 2er Gran Sport Tourer are exclusively RWD.

By making the 2er Gran Coupe RWD it sends out a strong message to the FWD competition the 2er will face namely the Mercedes-Benz CLA and Audi A3Sedan.
Finally the BMW direction got their wits back
It's better to make compact cars longer outside and with rear wheel drive than implementing front wheel drive and getting lost in the Audi&Co mess.
Mercedes A class has only a badge that makes it different from VW Golf, Audi A3 and even Hyundai in next 5 years.
Maybe the BMW heads are going to repent the greed and continue to make 1 series and even the 1GT Van with a rear wheel drive.
Perception is everything when you're in a crowded marketplace and want to be different.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #51
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by research View Post
BMW "premium feel" in small segment usually means high price, BMW badge and often weird styling.

Audi does "premium feel" much better in small cars segment. It's interiors quality is superb through the range (look at A1) and while they also charge quite a bit, at least you get almost A8 quality cabin in a small city car. Unfortunately when it comes to 1 series the cabin materials are certainly not 7 or even 5 series good. It's just "premium" price.
This is true, just because I want a smaller car doesn't mean I don't want leather or features that are just as nice as the 7. Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy a 7 just because it's way too big for me, but I would love to have ventilated seats, soft grain leather or the B&O sound system in my M2 and would gladly pay for the option.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #52
Antares
First Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: dark-blue coupe

@Remonster
I doubt you'll see "as nice as the 7", if the 3 series got a mass market dashboard and central console with cheap looking parts; the 3 series got out this year and is the most important car in the lineup
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #53
alpine92m3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92 m3 coupe

This is all so very confusing !! Why is BMW doing all this bs?? 2 series 1 ,3?? Are they gonna make a 1/2series ??
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #54
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Go sit in it with that Helmet on and then go drive it. Not much room and any taller than you and you are completely screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I think the motor seems very well suited for the purpose. It is a high revving naturally aspirated engine. For me 150 hp would be enough, so 200 hp is more than I need. The important thing is that the power is delivered immediately after stepping on the throttle. In my F20, there seems to be a one second delay, which is a real killjoy.

And some of my friends are rather tall. I am 189 cm myself, and one friend who is 196 cm fits just fine. There is even room for a helmet. He will probably buy a Toyota GT86, having driven only BMWs for 20 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #55
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
"Given BMW's design director Adrian Van Hooydunk's admiration for the Hyundai Veloster . The 2er Gran Sport Tourer aims to enhance that level of individuality but offer customers the exciting profile of a Coupe and sports tourer, "

...I spit out my drink reading this... VH has lost his mind... this is desire by marketing panel not aesthetics...
The Hyundai Veloster is actually a great looking little car with very decent sporting dynamics and far more communication for the driver than an equivalent Audi. I like cars that dare to do something different and stress individuality over the conventional option.

The genes from the Gran Sport Tourer actually manifest themselves within the BMW 2002 and the sporting Coupe like Touring models.
But GST is designed to be more sporting and innovative to the customer.
One promise is made no matter if the car is FWD or RWD BMW aim to offer customers the most sporting , dynamic , innovative and exciting propositions in the entry segment.
Cars are more personal today especially as technology progresses, the car is no longer that tool for A-B. Style , individuality, driveability and innovation is what signifies the expression of the car in this age and especially a BMW.

The 2er Gran Coupe and 2er Gran Sport Tourer are exclusively RWD.
That is brought on by the fact that BMW customers would prefer a small four door sports sedan but only if it is rear wheel drive.
By making the 2er Gran Coupe RWD it sends out a strong message to the FWD competition the 2er will face namely the Mercedes-Benz CLA and Audi A3Sedan that BMW are targeting enthusiasts with what they want from a small sedan.
The Veloster is a car that has been highly criticized for the lack of sporting dynamics. I hate Audi, However I have driven the closest Audi we in the usa have to the Veloster (A3) and I have driven the Veloster. The Audi is the better drive without question. Also, since you work for BMW I would expect a little more professionalism. Low cuts are not what BMW does.

Moving on...... keep the weight low, have an I6 option, have a manual option, and work on the steering some more and it will be an epic car.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #56
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

"for the customer that likes Coupe looks and performance but needs that extra practicality but finds the current 3er out of range or too large for their needs."

yep - spot on there. this has a home in my garage.

btw - anyone notice the 3er GT in Scott's sig? anyone else hate it as much as me?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #57
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Go sit in it with that Helmet on and then go drive it. Not much room and any taller than you and you are completely screwed.
My local dealer has brought in a demo car with automatic gearbox. I'll wait until they get one with manual gearbox before taking it for a test drive (I'm sure they will be worried if I show up with my helmet). But several people taller than me claimed there was enough space inside, and they struggle in many other cars.

I guess body proportions and seating position can cause a lot of variation here.

But I hope BMW can make a competitior for the GT86, so I don't have to consider the Toyota....
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #58
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Moving on...... keep the weight low, have an I6 option, have a manual option, and work on the steering some more and it will be an epic car.
And please bring back the limited slip differential, at least as an option.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #59
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

I think what is most important is for BMW to keep the upcoming 2 and new 1 the same size forever. They need something small for small families or those who like small cars. Outside of a z4 you have no options with BMW. I know the industry as a whole has made larger cars but there is nothing wrong with a small car. Heck Nissan made the 370 smaller than the 350. If they make a 2 small like an e36-e46 sized car with a nice sleek roof line they can really hit it out of the park in my book. I don't know if that would sell enough to make money but I can hope. I like the size of the 1m but I do think it's a little tall.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #60
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Originally Posted by research

I would agree with you, if you were referring to the old models
It is obvious you have not sat in a F20 / F21.
It is now 5 series (5 star) interior quality finish and feel.

I think BMW has finally woken up to the fact that they had to lift their game or get left behind.

My F20 125i M Sport is a hands down winner
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #61
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Fantastic news about the 2-series Gran Coupe and the M2 Gran Coupe. Even the 2-series Gran Coupe Touring sounds interesting (though I doubt we'd get that in the US). This is definitely a market segment I can get behind.

Looking forward to hearing more.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #62
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Look, I need the M235i coupe or the 228i M sport coupe or M2 coupe on these shores before we start talking about cars that will get here when I am underground.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #63
sid21177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i AW/ 2013 128i AW

Garage List
2013 128i AW  [0.00]
2011 328i AW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine92m3 View Post
This is all so very confusing !! Why is BMW doing all this bs?? 2 series 1 ,3?? Are they gonna make a 1/2series ??
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #64
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

That's part about showing up to the dealer with a helmet is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
...I'm sure they will be worried if I show up with my helmet... But I hope BMW can make a competitior for the GT86, so I don't have to consider the Toyota....
IF they do it will be so many years away you might as well buy the 86 in the mean time. If you don't mind only 200hp.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #65
ekelly
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0sd M Sport

I would like to think and certainly hope this does not start a precedence, on the back of a probable future success for BMW in the FWD market, where the future 1/2 series in 2018/2019 will all become FWD bar the likes of M1/M2.

This is what I fear and fully expect it to become a reality through clever marketing to the masses in the next couple of years. Time............
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #66
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
please fix the 1-series headlights with this car
Appreciate 0