THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Real Time Traffic

04-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
MoreToyz
Rep
Drives: 228i XDrive

Real Time Traffic

My 228i Xdrive VO/Oyster is on the boat! I can't seem to find any info on this forum regarding the RTTI with the nav package. Can anyone chime in on your experience with it? I am in the Dallas area, long commute, and Dallas continues its love affair with construction. Would love to know if RTTI will make the commute less painless.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Works great...it will alert you of a traffic situation on the instrument cluster as well as the screen. Not just a triangle on the map...it will ask you to confirm a reroute.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreToyz View Post
My 228i Xdrive VO/Oyster is on the boat! I can't seem to find any info on this forum regarding the RTTI with the nav package. Can anyone chime in on your experience with it? I am in the Dallas area, long commute, and Dallas continues its love affair with construction. Would love to know if RTTI will make the commute less painless.
I'm in DFW as well ... I find it works decently, but the on-screen readability is less than ideal at certain zoom levels, particularly during daytime. You learn to get around it by zooming in/out, often with the Interactive Map feature -- which is also somewhat clunky to use, particularly compared to the Nav in the Lexus I had previous to my 2.

That said, all that's made up for by the RT accident alerts sstarrx mentions. They're not always accurate or up to date, but they often are. VERY handy in DFW traffic. And the address-input interface is gloriously quick -- not to mention the ability to send destinations to the car via most internet browsers.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:08 PM   #4
MoreToyz
Rep

Thanks much for the helpful replies! It sounds like this gadget is going to be great to have.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Thanks much for the helpful replies! It sounds like this gadget is going to be great to have.
You won't need it! Just take the dedicated lanes for VO/Oyster Bimmers!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
MoreToyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You won't need it! Just take the dedicated lanes for VO/Oyster Bimmers!
I will be the only one in that lane in Dallas.

Actually, I have you to thank for my current state of frustration and impatience, Sportstick! You and your photos sold me on this combo and of course none were to be had without ordering. Darn, that boat is so slow...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Its incredibly accurate. Theres been a bunch of times I'm stuck in traffic thats showing as red/yellow and within +/- 100 feet when it turns green the traffic lets up. Not sure exactly how they do it but it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
aldrichg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M231i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2015 M235i/F22  [0.00]
2015 X4 28i/F26  [0.00]
It came with my 07 335i and I didn't know what it was. First drive into the LA basin and I was sold on it. Invaluable situation awareness. Got it now in my new X4 and M235i. Wouldn't have a car without it unless I lived in rural North Dakota.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #9
Dan Brown
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Mineral White 228ix

I really enjoy the RTTI. The satellite version on my F22 works much better than the radio-wave based version on my E70.

When I'm doing trips/commutes through heavily congested areas, I "Split Screen" the iDrive screen. Both maps with the option "Traffic Conditions/Grey Map," as the regular daytime map makes traffic hard to discern. I keep the left side on ~1/2 mile zoom, right side on 5 or 10 miles, depending on the area.

Make sure you have an actual route going! It'll promptly let you know as traffic pops up on your route. It's even searched the internet (without prompting) for a faster route based on one really bad traffic issue I had near Newark airport. It then simply asked me if I wanted to save 12 minutes at the expenses of driving 3.6 extra miles Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
I will be the only one in that lane in Dallas.

Actually, I have you to thank for my current state of frustration and impatience, Sportstick! You and your photos sold me on this combo and of course none were to be had without ordering. Darn, that boat is so slow...
Sorry, I think? You'll be much happier very soon!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #11
MoreToyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brown View Post
I really enjoy the RTTI. The satellite version on my F22 works much better than the radio-wave based version on my E70.

When I'm doing trips/commutes through heavily congested areas, I "Split Screen" the iDrive screen. Both maps with the option "Traffic Conditions/Grey Map," as the regular daytime map makes traffic hard to discern. I keep the left side on ~1/2 mile zoom, right side on 5 or 10 miles, depending on the area.

Make sure you have an actual route going! It'll promptly let you know as traffic pops up on your route. It's even searched the internet (without prompting) for a faster route based on one really bad traffic issue I had near Newark airport. It then simply asked me if I wanted to save 12 minutes at the expenses of driving 3.6 extra miles Enjoy!
Thanks for this tip on the split screen. Very Helpful!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Works great...it will alert you of a traffic situation on the instrument cluster as well as the screen. Not just a triangle on the map...it will ask you to confirm a reroute.
This - saved me hours at times. It's not perfect, but best I have used to date short of Navigon. It's not as up to date as google maps either (for traffic), but it only lags behind by a few minutes or so - acceptable given the intense amount of translation that has to occur than send out to the vehicles.
      04-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #13
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Works great, out of the 3 times its tried to re-route I paid attention one time and was very happy, failed to listen the other two and was screwed.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:49 AM   #14
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Welcome to the VO/Oyster club!
Unfortunately I ordered mine without Nav, and now I'm kicking myself for it.
RTTI would have been the main use case. I might someday buy the parts and retrofit it (it seems possible).
As Sportstick said VO's should really have their own lane, or at least be HOV/carpool lane exempt!
I'll be watching this thread to see how happy you are with RTTI.

Name:  DSC05400.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  70.5 KB
Currently awaiting PCD in May.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
MoreToyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
Welcome to the VO/Oyster club!
Unfortunately I ordered mine without Nav, and now I'm kicking myself for it.
RTTI would have been the main use case. I might someday buy the parts and retrofit it (it seems possible).
As Sportstick said VO's should really have their own lane, or at least be HOV/carpool lane exempt!
I'll be watching this thread to see how happy you are with RTTI.

Attachment 1199293
Currently awaiting PCD in May.
Awesome Oyster pic! The boat just arrived in Baltimore, so hopefully I will be trying out the RTTI in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0