THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Jack stands? how does this even work?

09-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Jack stands? how does this even work?

So ive searched and searched and find things for E90s/E46s but nothing for new bimmers and especially the 2er....Im getting my rims powdercoated tomorrow and need to get them off my car.

Is it really this complicated? TIA

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #2
JMatt88
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Are you friendly with your Dealer? Some Dealers will remove the wheels (and tires from the rims) and wait until you bring the rims back. I've found that large Dealers (who have the room) will sometimes accommodate and leave your car on a lift. Some places that do powder coating may also have a lift and will do it for you. I personally wouldn't play with jack stands unless you're 100% certain you know what you're doing. I would also make sure my wheels are re-installed to spec with proper torque.

IMPORTANT: Powder coating involves removing tires and wheel weights followed by sandblasting + Painting. Completed wheels and tires MUST be re-balanced on the newly painted rims.

Last edited by JMatt88; 09-20-2015 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #3
LeeT73
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
So ive searched and searched and find things for E90s/E46s but nothing for new bimmers and especially the 2er....Im getting my rims powdercoated tomorrow and need to get them off my car.

Is it really this complicated? TIA
No. It's relatively simple, but you will need a few things:

1 - Jacks Stands
2 - Low Profile Jack*
3 - Jack Pad Adapter

I bought both #1 and #2 at Walmart for under $100 (taxes in). I bought #3 off Amazon for $20.

*If you're going to buy #2 at Walmart, be advised that the standard jack they sell won't work, as the car is too low to the ground to fit it. I had to buy the more expensive low profile jack for $60 instead.

After you have the above three items, there are several video's on youtube that can help you.

Best of luck!

P.S. Don't try to do lift the car without the jack pads, or you will damage the underside of your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeT73 View Post
No. It's relatively simple, but you will need a few things:

1 - Jacks Stands
2 - Low Profile Jack*
3 - Jack Pad Adapter

I bought both #1 and #2 at Walmart for under $100 (taxes in). I bought #3 off Amazon for $20.

*If you're going to buy #2 at Walmart, be advised that the standard jack they sell won't work, as the car is too low to the ground to fit it. I had to buy the more expensive low profile jack for $60 instead.

After you have the above three items, there are several video's on youtube that can help you.

Best of luck!

P.S. Don't try to do lift the car without the jack pads, or you will damage the underside of your car.
3 - Jack Pad Adapter
Use a hockey puck
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
JMatt88
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Quote:
As I had originally said, don't play with lifting your car unless you know what you;re doing. Especially if you have kids around the house. Take it to your Dealer.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatt88
Quote:
As I had originally said, don't play with lifting your car unless you know what you;re doing. Especially if you have kids around the house. Take it to your Dealer.

+1 even if someone charges you a few bucks you're going to avoid the expense of buying all the stuff (which I assume you don't have already since you're asking how to use it) and the potential for expensive damage and/or serious injury in event of an accident.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Cpdbeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i & X6 5.0

Lighten up guys.

OP if you have the interest go for it. It is not rocket science.

As these guys have noted: get the right equipment, and keep people / kids / pets away. Do it on level ground. Chock the diagonally opposite wheel from the corner you are lifting.

If you have a buddy that has done it get him to come around the first time you do it.
      10-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
M2BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpdbeemer View Post
Lighten up guys.

OP if you have the interest go for it. It is not rocket science.

As these guys have noted: get the right equipment, and keep people / kids / pets away. Do it on level ground. Chock the diagonally opposite wheel from the corner you are lifting.

If you have a buddy that has done it get him to come around the first time you do it.
+1, don't let other peoples fears determine what you should do, especially if they have not tried to do it themselves.
We all have to "figure it out" for anything new .......

Last edited by M2BMW; 10-02-2015 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0