THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Best method to clean radiators

12-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Best method to clean radiators

I noticed that the first radiator (AC?) has collected some bugs and I imagine the radiators behind it also have a few bugs. What is the most effective way to clean them? I have a pressure washer.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
That's the intercooler.

The bugs will deteriorate over time, I wouldn't risk bending any fins with a pressure washer, although light pressure should be fine.

I just use a regular hose and spray it down.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #3
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

The best way is to use low pressure water from the back of the intercooler/radiator however on these cars i don't think you can to many things in the way
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #4
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

My local gas station has free air, so ill use that to get all the leaves out every once in awhile.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

if you can't get easy hands on access to the back or front of the radiator I like to spray waterless car wash or P21 Total Auto Wash through the grill onto the radiator/condenser surfaces and let sit for twenty-minutes. A weak stream of water to flush off the soap as not to push debris further inward.

I was at a self serve wand car wash (owner told me they us city water and not recycled water) and I sprayed the radiators from the outside front and I think due to the grill work and the way the wand disperses water it wasn't that strong a flow to bend the fins or driver stones further inward.

I also have a nice little grab tool from Griots Garage that lets me grab leaves from the bottom shelf in front of the radiators.

While on the subject. I use a vacuum to clean out the drain at the base if the windshield and Q-tips to clean the drain at the narrow opening the black plastic flap makes on top f the rear light cluster. Every few years I unbolt and pul pop the rear light clusters off to clean out crud and apply some spray wax to the surfaces.
Appreciate 0