THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum A/C issue

06-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #1
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

A/C issue

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Keep in mind it was about 94 degrees Fahrenheit that day.

So I started out just fine, about 30 minutes into a 40 minute drive I started to get hot. The car wouldn't blow air out of the top vents. Couldn't tell of air was coming out of the other vents or not, with the fan on highest setting it sounded severely restricted. I tried every combination of settings I could and it just wouldn't blow out the top vents or cool the way it should. Some settings even felt like maybe it was blowing hot air from somewhere.

When I got to my destination I tried shutting the car off and locking the doors, then getting back in and starting the car with the A/C in auto. Still no luck, thought it was time for a trip to the dealer. Had lunch, and when we left the A/C started working perfectly.

Hope it's just a fluke, can't have a car with flaky A/C around here. Anyone else experience something like this? BTW I normally keep the recirculation function in auto. I was thinking maybe the flap that diverts the air maybe got stuck in the middle, but that doesn't make sense because it should have been staying closed at that point. Also the dealer changed the cabin filters recently and I have not drove it much since then but it worked fine on the 40 minute drive back from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
It may just be a fluke, but you probably need to take it in to get it checked. It sounds like it froze up, which obviously doesn't make sense in 94 degree weather but can happen and explains why it worked, then didn't, and then worked again. See this link for further details. http://knowhow.napaonline.com/car-ac...n-do-about-it/
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I didn't even think about that, certainly is a possibility and would explain why no air flow if the coil was froze over. You would think it would have done it again on the way back thought.

I will have to drive it on another long trip to see if I can replicate that.
Appreciate 0