BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Switzerland Sport Cat issues - road trip

03-18-2024, 11:21 AM   #1
spavlas77
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87), X4 M40i (2020)

Switzerland Sport Cat issues - road trip

Hey Guys,

I am planning a road trip for me and my friend to go around Europe skiing in different places and we would like to go through Switzerland (and visit Zermatt on the way) BUT I am running a sport cat. Nothing more, just the sport cat and very very light tint on front and rear lights (might remove it until then tho, the previous owner put it on and I have never bothered to take it off).

I have heard horror stories about cars being confiscated and whatnot in Switzerland because of illegal modifications (and the emission system tampering is 100 percent illegal). How likely is it that they will do a on-the-spot MOT check? Would I be better off taking an unmodified X4?

Thanks for help!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:50 AM   #2
joshdub
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E30

Garage List
I drove my lowered, dark tinted, diesel billowing, german plated e46 all around switzerland for a week and nobody batted an eye. But I'm not from there so it's just one data point.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2024, 03:36 AM   #3
Markyc66
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I did a euro tour last year. Went through Switzerland.
I also have a sports Cat (m-perf Exhaust too) roll cage.

Had no issues at all (uk car btw)

Make sure you have your vignette on display and I can’t see you having any issues.

Just don’t go a do donuts in a service station like a certain YouTuber did…..

Switzerland is such a beautiful place we are going back again this summer.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 01:52 PM   #4
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
About the only mod my car doesn't have is a sports cat...it has a Remus exhaust and is loud enough already. I've taken it to Switzerland many times and never had a problem.

As I'm sure you know, there are lots of expensive cars in Switzerland; a stock M2 isn't going to stand out that much and I'd be surprised if Swiss authorities could get away with confiscating a car which is road legal in the country where it is registered.

However, be smart:
1) Before crossing the border, purchase the Swiss autobahn vignette (40CHF) and fully attach it to the windshield (you can usually purchase it at petrol stations close to the border).
2) Stick to the speed limit - it seems to me that 100kph is the max on their autobahns which is frustrating but don't give the Polizei a reason to pull you over!
3) Park between the lines!
      03-25-2024, 06:28 AM   #5
Bobdaxx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 MT

I wouldn't worry too much about Zermatt...you cant even drive into there...have to park at Tasch about 3 miles away. I just got back...3 years in a row and ill be back next year. Such a skiing / resort paradise!
Appreciate 0