BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > First Impressions of Moving from a F87 to G87

03-11-2024, 06:56 PM   #1
RacerTex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, F87 and G87

First Impressions of Moving from a F87 to G87

First time poster after years of lurking I'm sure this topic has been covered a ton, but I'll chime in anyway.

Flew from Texas to St. Louis to pickup a 2024 G87 (manual AW) from Autohaus BMW. First off, the dealership was fantastic to work with. Nick (sales), Zack (setup) and Steve (finance) were all professional and efficient. Nick, in particular, was very patient and responsive while I waited for the car to arrive in Baltimore and make its way to the dealership. I can wholeheartedly recommend the team and the dealership.

Drove the G87 home over two days and was struck by the differences between my F87 (manual BSM) and the new car. I'm self-diagnosed OCD, so I took it very easy, but I can still tell that the cars will drive and behave very differently over time. The car was a pleasure to drive on the highway. The trip in my F87 would not have been nearly as comfortable, or entertaining. The best way to describe it is to say that the G87 feels similar to my 2018 F82, while the F87 feels like an altogether different car. I've always described the F87 as tossable, playful and rambunctious, and that's exactly how it feels compared to the G87. Both are great, just different.

Here are some of the differences:
Transmission (manual) - Good, but heavy and more notchy. Feels more like what I've driven in a Mustang GT.
Clutch - Very nice, light but with the typical first to second struggle.
Engine - Strong. Pulls hard but not as punchy.
Technology - I'll miss the analog instruments and controls of the F87, but I like the curved i8 screen more than I thought.
Drive - More comfortable. Feels like the larger car that it is, including the extra weight.
Handling - I need more time with the car, but the handling is impressive so far.
Brakes - Need more time with the car but it may be the one thing that feels similar in both cars.
Looks - Growing on me for sure to the point of liking the G87 better.
Interior - Big improvement in materials and comfort.
Sound - Different but good.

Overall, I'm happy (bitter sweet) with the choice to move on from my F87. My next car needed to be a little larger and more comfortable and that's exactly what I got in the G87. I missed my F82 and that's what I got in the G87. I'm slower than most to embrace new technology but I do like many of the new features and creature comforts of the G87.

I purchased my F87 off of the lease (story for a separate post), so I'll get to enjoy it a bit longer before selling it. I'll miss it, but it's time to move on.
Appreciate 16
philth198.50
///MPhatic13862.50
DanG10660.50
Kikuchiyo114.50
Andrew2180.00
W///7494.00
qnet681.50
drp087233.00
///M TOWN16539.00
Altra265.50
M3R12168.50
      03-11-2024, 08:26 PM   #2
philth
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 N55

Congrats! Glad that you’re embracing and enjoying your G87.

Take some side by side shots of both!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 08:51 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerTex View Post
First time poster after years of lurking I'm sure this topic has been covered a ton, but I'll chime in anyway.

Flew from Texas to St. Louis to pickup a 2024 G87 (manual AW) from Autohaus BMW. First off, the dealership was fantastic to work with. Nick (sales), Zack (setup) and Steve (finance) were all professional and efficient. Nick, in particular, was very patient and responsive while I waited for the car to arrive in Baltimore and make its way to the dealership. I can wholeheartedly recommend the team and the dealership.

Drove the G87 home over two days and was struck by the differences between my F87 (manual BSM) and the new car. I'm self-diagnosed OCD, so I took it very easy, but I can still tell that the cars will drive and behave very differently over time. The car was a pleasure to drive on the highway. The trip in my F87 would not have been nearly as comfortable, or entertaining. The best way to describe it is to say that the G87 feels similar to my 2018 F82, while the F87 feels like an altogether different car. I've always described the F87 as tossable, playful and rambunctious, and that's exactly how it feels compared to the G87. Both are great, just different.

Transmission (manual) - Good, but heavy and more notchy. Feels more like what I've driven in a Mustang GT.
Technology - I'll miss the analog instruments and controls of the F87, but I like the curved i8 screen more than I thought.
Drive - More comfortable. Feels like the larger car that it is, including the extra weight.
Handling - I need more time with the car, but the handling is impressive so far.
Brakes - Need more time with the car but it may be the one thing that feels similar in both cars.

Overall, I'm happy (bitter sweet) with the choice to move on from my F87. My next car needed to be a little larger and more comfortable and that's exactly what I got in the G87. I missed my F82 and that's what I got in the G87. I'm slower than most to embrace new technology but I do like many of the new features and creature comforts of the G87.

I purchased my F87 off of the lease (story for a separate post), so I'll get to enjoy it a bit longer before selling it. I'll miss it, but it's time to move on.

Very good honest review, I just can't believe that the looks are growing on you. I mean, it hit every branch.
Appreciate 3
      03-11-2024, 09:35 PM   #4
IcewaterPete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F33 M Sport, 2021 M2C 6MT

Glad to hear you had a good purchase experience and a fun trip home. I also appreciate your comparison comments. Most telling to me is the one that the G87 feels like the F82. It’s also great to hear that you feel that the F87 is more “tossable, playful and rambunctious”. That’s exactly why I won’t be parting with my F87.

Thanks for choosing the manual G87 to help keep the dream alive!

I’ll second the request for side by side pics.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2024, 09:40 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
      03-11-2024, 09:54 PM   #6
t6m
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

The car buying experience can be so different from dealer to dealer, happy to hear you ended up with a good one.

Not sure if you plan to maintain the thread, but I'd be interested in hearing your perspective going forward as you get more seat time in the G.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 07:46 PM   #7
RacerTex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, F87 and G87

Sold the F87

Update: Purchased the F87 off lease and sold it back to the dealer. It was a bit of a hassle but the residual was ridiculously low, so I had to do it. The car ended up costing me ~$275 a month over 36 months. Heck of a ride for that price.
Appreciate 6
qnet681.50
akkando5864.50
///M TOWN16539.00
Altra265.50
      03-13-2024, 10:28 PM   #8
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

The G8x chassis without a doubt is very well refined compared to the F8x and the S58 is what some like to call the modern 2JZ.

It’s just the design language I still can’t agree with though the engineering efforts are a marvel on the new chassis.

I do enjoy the tossable nature of the F87 which is why I float the idea of getting a G90 or F90 to compliment its wild nature with something more tame.

Most important part is that you’re happy with the choice you made and that I’m glad to hear

We’ll always bitch about new things at first on the forums whether it’s the weight of the inbound G90 but it’s the driving experience behind the wheel that reminds us of why we’re here
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16539.00
      03-19-2024, 04:30 PM   #9
LBB//M2
Rep
Drives: ‘16 LBB M2

Congrats! Would love to see some pictures
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16539.00
qnet681.50
      03-27-2024, 07:30 PM   #10
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

F87=Raw
Is it the point of getting a shorter wheelbase M car?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 02:32 PM   #11
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerTex View Post

I think the front and side profile look great, and I can see why you'd maybe like it more than the F87 with time.

Aside from the excessive tech, the one thing that would stop me from the new model is the weight. It weighs about as much as my 5er, and I just don't see why.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 03:52 PM   #12
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
I think the front and side profile look great, and I can see why you'd maybe like it more than the F87 with time.

Aside from the excessive tech, the one thing that would stop me from the new model is the weight. It weighs about as much as my 5er, and I just don't see why.
It’s sitting on the shared CLAR platform so that is why it weighs so damn much