THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum "Service due soon" in iDrive just before lease return

07-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #1
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

"Service due soon" in iDrive just before lease return

My M240i lease is up in less than one month. My front brake pad service just came up on iDrive (says it's due in 500 miles) and now reminds me every time the car is turned on.

I know that all due maintenance is required to be done prior to lease return. In this case, does BMW FS consider the service to be "due" when the iDrive notification comes up saying "replace front pads in 500 miles" or when it actually counts down to 0 miles? I definitely won't be driving another 500 miles before the lease is over so the miles till due will be greater than zero when I turn the car in.

Obviously if BMW FS will consider my pads as due right now then I will replace them. But there's no point in me replacing them right now just to turn it in next week if they won't consider it "due" until iDrive says 0 miles.

And in case anyone asks, yes I inspected the pads manually and they are definitely worn enough to justify being due for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #2
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

It honestly depends on the dealer entirely. I've seen them miss stuff like this, and then I've seen them tax a person. (It is not based on i drive by the way, it is based on wear just like with tires)

Are you leasing another BMW? If so, I'd bet you get to skate on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Let us know what happens, I was betting it was a sure thing they'd make you pay to redo it, but would be nice to learn otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga240 View Post
It honestly depends on the dealer entirely. I've seen them miss stuff like this, and then I've seen them tax a person. (It is not based on i drive by the way, it is based on wear just like with tires)

Are you leasing another BMW? If so, I'd bet you get to skate on it.
If it's based on wear, is there a specific minimum brake pad thickness like there is for tire tread? I haven't been able to find that information anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

I really think you should be fine since you're not gonna put another 500 miles before turn in your lease.

I assume your car has 30k~36k miles by the end of your lease? How is the pads need to be replaced already? I didn't have to replace my brake pads until pass 60k miles with my F22 in the past.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa@x-ph.com View Post
I really think you should be fine since you're not gonna put another 500 miles before turn in your lease.

I assume your car has 30k~36k miles by the end of your lease? How is the pads need to be replaced already? I didn't have to replace my brake pads until pass 60k miles with my F22 in the past.
I'm at 27k miles (lease is for 30k). These aren't even the original front pads on the car, I've tracked this car multiple times and that's why I'm going through pads so quickly.

I'm not surprised or upset in the slightest that the pads are due for replacement. I'm just trying to make sure I don't spend the money to replace them if it's not necessary for lease return.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
If it's based on wear, is there a specific minimum brake pad thickness like there is for tire tread? I haven't been able to find that information anywhere.
Yes, they will allow them down to 2-3 mm before replacing.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #8
liebetrau88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

It'll depend on wear, but for other services, I've had the dealer take care of it long before it was actually due. My general service and oil came up at 1200 miles left and they didn't care and scheduled it right away. Happened more than once for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 02:17 PM   #9
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
I've tracked this car multiple times and that's why I'm going through pads so quickly.
That makes sense Keep us posted how it would turn out OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #10
keylime503
Major
Rep

I sent a message to BMW FS last night and this is the reply I just got:

“Thank you for contacting BMW Financial Services. We would be happy to provide more information on required maintenance. You are required to complete any service indicated in red to avoid an end of term charge. Yellow service indicators advising of upcoming service due will not result in a charge."

This sure makes it sound like I'm in the clear as long as the mileage till due is greater than zero. And this is in writing from BMW FS which as far as I'm concerned is much more useful than a dealership or dealership-employed inspector.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2020, 11:01 PM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I sent a message to BMW FS last night and this is the reply I just got:

“Thank you for contacting BMW Financial Services. We would be happy to provide more information on required maintenance. You are required to complete any service indicated in red to avoid an end of term charge. Yellow service indicators advising of upcoming service due will not result in a charge."

This sure makes it sound like I'm in the clear as long as the mileage till due is greater than zero. And this is in writing from BMW FS which as far as I'm concerned is much more useful than a dealership or dealership-employed inspector.
just go and reset the brake pad counter.... that should work unless the pad sensor triggered in that cause you could just go get another sensor for $15 the day you return it and do the brake pad counter reset

Appreciate 0