THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum DINAN - The good the bad and the ugly

01-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Kenpo Karate
2009 M135i // 2018 M240i-DINAN // Yamaha YZF
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i DINAN

DINAN - The good the bad and the ugly

THE GOOD:

Makes the car a daemon in bed and sounds like an expensive and beautiful race car. Well worth doing the Computer, the Intake & Exhaust.

I have the M240i Convertible and put the DINAN Engine Software / DINANTRONICS (3 Points) and the Free Flow Exhaust (3 Points) and the Post Tune and Exhaust gives it 414HP with the 478ftlb which makes this car a monster. It’s so darn fast and responsive it makes this car a rocket. DINAN is worth it because they are reliable and come with the warranty on the whole car. They don't hurt and likely help the value of your vehicle. Certainly the fun factor goes way up.

M240 VS. M2

Talk to the engineers, talk to the racers, talk to the mechanics, talk to the professionals. The M240 is better than the M2? The M2 has 361HP out of the box (BMW spec sheets are incorrect) and the M240i has 369HP out of the box because BMW spec sheets are intentionally misrepresented so as not to negatively impact sales of the M2. The M2 is priced much higher than the M240 and for approximately 3.5K you get a car that is more powerful, more responsive, with more HP and torque thus faster than the M2 and for a small price can now smoke the M2 off the line which is where the majority of normal people’s driving occurs. I love this M240i. Once the intake comes out they said it should be another 10-12 HP putting the car at around 425HP with perhaps the torque numbers being in the 480s. If you want a sports car buy the rear wheel drive M240i and stick DIANAN in it.

THE BAD:

Too bad DINAN kind of sucks as a company when it comes to customer service, I’m really disappointed in them as a company. The product is great but their service is just Meh. They make an amazing product but kind of lackluster as a company. Now they are moving from Northern California to Alabama to save money. They won’t send decals other than the small ones for free unless you want to pay $60. Really? I spent 3K on your stuff and I can’t have a long sticker? Why is DINAN such a cheap company when they sell stuff that is twice the price of much of its competition? It should come with the DINAN badge (Which is scam on its own) and some decals, a shirt and a ball cap at least. I just spent over three thousand dollars and I can’t get what costs them probably $20? Come on give me a break.

THE UGLY:

POINTS: The point system? The Point system is a scam and it's all about spending money, not about what they say "Building DINAN cars." I can get up to the ten points by buying things that have nothing to do with performance and qualify for the badge. The Badge should come with the DINAN Engine Software / DINANTRONICS (3 Points) and the Free Flow Exhaust (3 Points) as that is the majority of what the company is really and truly good for. The badge is all about how much money you have spent and nothing else. You can get ten points worth of stuff that don’t really have anything to do with the car being faster or performing better. For example the stuff below is cosmetic, and helps it handle a little better (although I’m not so sure about that).

Here is my case study.

• Wheels (2 points) – Better? Not so sure
• Springs (2 points) – Lowers the car (good for track, bad for street)
• bump stops (1 point) – Part of lowering process no good for most of the country & hurts acceleration
• Short shift kit (1 point) - No real gain n performance it’s all about feel; makes the ride rougher
• Bushing kit (1 point) - Maybe
• Peddle set (1 point) - Cosmetic
• Camber plate (1 point each so 2 points) - Maybe

TOTAL = 10 Points

PLEASE be advised, many of the items sold by DIANAN are not designed or made by DIANAN rather they are purchased by them and branded.

• Don’t buy the wheels. Many professional modifiers., mechanics, aficionados and engineers will argue that the M Series Rims are better. In my opinion the M series look way cooler than the 80s looking DIAN wheels. Plus the M wheels have the M logo which is cool looking. Or how about Italian OZ / HLT rims?
• Why buy a short shift? No real reason for it. Do short shift really make any difference other than feel? Not power, not performance just being able to switch gears faster. “In reality, though, the performance benefits will be negligible to most drivers.” Plus short shifters make the ride a little more rough for most drivers other than the most experienced of drivers. So rougher ride and no read performance gain.
• DON’T lower your car. Bump Stops and Springs: Bumpstops ultimately stop the suspension traveling too far when the wheel hits a bump the spring are to lower it by a half inch. They help with cornering and the like. “Acceleration can actually be hurt by a low center of gravity if a rear wheel drive car doesn't have enough weight over the rear tires, but the transfer of weight to the rear tires is much smaller than the weight transfer from left to right because a car is usually much longer than it is wide. The second point is aerodynamics. Putting a car with smooth underbody closer to the ground would actually be worse for drag due to ground effect (think air dragging along the ground and slowing down), if the car didn't have wheels” Most of the countries roads are not good for cars that are lowered. It makes your car not drivable as a daily driver, so other than track cars with more HP then they know what to do with.. don’t do it. It’s impractical and a waste of money. You like Silver? Get a set from ECS for cheaper, they are just as good if not better.
• Camber Plates: Are you drag racing the car on a track? No? You drive it on the street? Don’t do it, it’s a waste of money. Only good if your dropping the car. What do they do you ask? “It is to provide increased camber and caster adjustments so that a more aggressive wheel alignment can be “dialed-in” so as to enhance a vehicles cornering or rolling ability. The principal notion is to maintain as much tire contact as possible during aggressive street driving or whenever you are on the track and to minimize tire rolling resistance when you are at the drag strip.” Like I said are you on a drag strip? No? Forget it then.
• Peddle Set: Looks Ok I guess but does nothing for performance. To me the BMW M series peddle set is way cooler to have in the car than that 80s looking metal peddle set. The Agency Power M set looks awesome. Buy a set for, they are nicer and less expensive.

So there you have it, I got ten points and my car only handles a little better, and that would be arguable because I got nothing extra under the hood or out the pipes to help my car move and breath better. But guess what? I can get that badge. That’s why I say it’s about how much money you spent at DIANAN not what the car can do after its done.

The badge should require two/Three things and it should come with it. The computer and Intake/exhaust. Computer + Exhaust and Intake should = Badge, period.
Appreciate 1
123Britt287.00
      01-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I agree with some of what you said, disagree with some - but not looking to argue.

What I will point out to you and others is that while it's cheaper to order from Dinan and do the install yourself, there is something to be said for sourcing from a Dinan-authorized BMW dealer - at least for the active parts. Intake, exhaust, passive parts, not an issue install yourself. I did. But for the things where customer service matters and warranty could come into play, spend the extra few hundred to get some added insurance and have it installed by a pro.

I have said this elsewhere, but in the event of issue it's always great to have a single throat to choke who lives in both the BMW and Dinan worlds. A BMW dealership employee who also sells you and installs Dinan gear - if something goes wrong you know exactly who's going to make it right.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Kenpo Karate
2009 M135i // 2018 M240i-DINAN // Yamaha YZF
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i DINAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I agree with some of what you said, disagree with some - but not looking to argue.

What I will point out to you and others is that while it's cheaper to order from Dinan and do the install yourself, there is something to be said for sourcing from a Dinan-authorized BMW dealer - at least for the active parts. Intake, exhaust, passive parts, not an issue install yourself. I did. But for the things where customer service matters and warranty could come into play, spend the extra few hundred to get some added insurance and have it installed by a pro.

I have said this elsewhere, but in the event of issue it's always great to have a single throat to choke who lives in both the BMW and Dinan worlds. A BMW dealership employee who also sells you and installs Dinan gear - if something goes wrong you know exactly who's going to make it right.
---
I bought mine and had it installed at the local DINAN dealer that is across the street from the BMW dealer. They did a good job, the car sounds amazing, the extra HP and Torque makes it so quick it almost scares me at times but I love every second of it. My main point(s) in this post was just to one (1) say DINAN product is awesome and I'm happy with it. The product is doing a great job in my car. The local authorized DINAN dealer did a great job installing it all and I'm getting the Intake as soon as it comes out for my car. The second item/goal of my post is just to say the badge is a scam, it's advertising for the company and simply just denotes that you spent enough money to have it and does not necessarily equate to your car being a DINAN performance vehicle. Although for the most part it often does, but it's not necessarily the case. I personally feel to be a DINAN car you need the Computer, the Intake and the Exhaust and that should be what gets you the badge. Just my dos centavos.....
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpo Karate View Post
---I personally feel to be a DINAN car you need the Computer, the Intake and the Exhaust and that should be what gets you the badge. Just my dos centavos.....
Your local rep - not your dealer but the person who works at Dinan and covers your region - has some discretion in the matter. From conversations I have had in the past they tend to be quite reasonable about such matters, in essence follow spirit of law versus letter of law. If the badge is something you really want call them up. My car isn't wearing the BMW badges it was born with, I had no desire to install the Dinan ones I have been offered (and refused).

On the flip side of that coin if someone "cheats" their way into the badge by buying a bunch of crap that has nothing to do with performance, not much you can do about that unless you plan to start meting out vigilante justice.

For the record your intake / sw / exhaust is what I would consider a Dinan street car, with the possible exception of adding the IC to the list. All the other stuff is either track focused or cosmetic bullshit in my book.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 03:22 PM   #5
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Personal opinion aside, almost everything Kenpo Karate claims here is rubbish.

Last edited by Sail Boat; 01-11-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Boat View Post
Personal opinion aside, almost everything Kenpo Karate claims here is rubbish.
It's an opinion for the most part. I don't necessarily share it but he does have one really good point that really bothered me. Some of their parts are from other manufacturers sold at a higher price. As an example, the bumpstop are BMW OEM from a E39 (I believe it was the E39, not 100% sure). I'm fine with the kit coming with OEM bumpstops but I'm less fine with the markup. To me, it's deceptive. I rather they just come out and say its a BMW OEM part and not market it as their own.

Separately, M235i doesn't have a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I have experienced outstanding customer service with Dinan.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41905.00
      01-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
VIN240i13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i F23

Quote:
THE GOOD:

M240 VS. M2... The M240 is better than the M2?
For me, don't think so and perhaps that is just personal opinion. I enjoy my 2018 M240i but I would have spent the extra money on a new M2 if the price at the dealer was more down to earth. During a recent business trip I had the opportunity to drive a clients 2017 M2, she was pure stock with about 4k miles (its a lease). The car just flat out felt more engaging and fun, yes the M240i is high on the FUN scale but the M2 took it up a notch and you can't compare the exterior, the M2 looks bad-ass standing still, the M240i not so much.

Quote:
Now they are moving from Northern California to Alabama to save money.
This caught my attention, any idea where in Alabama, I was unable to find any reference to this on their web site.
BMW CCA #535395
SCCA #619713
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

How is plugging in two connectors and zip tying a small electrical box some effort worthy of noting a good job?

Also, an intake on these cars will do squat and if anything, cause driveability and potentially power loss issues. Don't buy into the hype.

Lastly, stock M2s make 330whp and 360wtq stock. Converted to flywheel hp, the M2 is making 390hp and 420tq bonestock. That's the truth. The M2 is essentially an M235 N55 running a quality Stage 1 tune.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-11-2018 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #10
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Thumbs up on the performance gains from Dinan. But the DINAN badge? It's a badge! Big whoop. Seriously? I wouldn't put that billboard on my car if it came with the cheapest Dinan tune. It's inartful and unimaginative, and adds nothing to the aesthetics of the car. It outta come with a roll of dental floss so you can remove it after realizing you've defiled a beautiful car.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2018, 11:53 PM   #11
shundel
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Either you, or someone who thinks a lot like you, just made a VERY similar comment on my video

If I were to get the M2, it only be because people made me feel bad about getting the M240i - and I LOVE the M240i because it's so underrated. This reminds me of the day I got an paddle shifting BRZ. Some people made me feel so bad about not getting the 6 speed that I despised my own car after a while. Not gonna happen this time.

I wouldn't necessarily buy all the Dinan stuff with the badge as my end game.. But if I were going to be getting these parts anyway, sure I'll take a free badge.
qnet679.00
      01-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #12
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

People should buy what THEY want, not what other people say they should want.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41905.00
      01-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #13
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

I didnt get an M2 because I didnt want an M2 as a daily driver, otherwise I would have bought an M2, .... so I bought an m240iX without even knowing that I could get TUNE to enhance it's performance, and never considered in my ENTIRE life that I would change out parts on a car for performance purposes. Me, I just always lived with stock, the car I drove off the lot was what I would be stuck with for the next 3-5 years. Why did I enhance my car? Well, the BMW Genius told me on visit to the dealership 2 weeks after i bought the car, he asked how I liked the vehicle, and I was ecstatic, "This F&*King car ROCKS!" and he was like "Check out the forums on www.2addicts.com and see what you can do to really unlock the potential of the m240" So I did, and I couldnt be happier. Driving my car now, I have wondered, should I have gotten an M2? No, because I didnt want one, AND had I gotten an M2, I would have then added the Dinan upgrades to make it the 525hp super car, then would had to ask myself "Should I have gotten an M3?" and so on and so on, .........
as result I never would have kept the stock version STOCK of whatever BMW I ended up with, so the m240i all juiced up with Dinan, even if it has more power then a stock M2, never would have been more juiced up than whatever I would have gotten in the end and modified. Also, from what I understand, almost no matter what you do to the m240i, the handling of the M2 will crush the m240i, and really, in the end, that is going to be the big difference in how it drives.
The badge is the badge, and you can buy that on EBay if you want, plus, no one knows what DINAN means, .... heck, almost everyone you pass on the road (or passes you on the road) sees that you are driving an 2 series BMW and thinks to themselves, or says to the person the passenger of their car "Check out that guy, he thinks he cool cause he bought a 2 series BMW, the cheapest series BMW makes, WHAT AN IDIOT" and the ones that dont mock it, its because they cant see what series your car is cause you just flew passed them so F*&(ING fast that the m240i badge is a blur, .... oh well, i don;t care, ..... and I do have the badge on my car, but that badge is for me, cause like I said No One knows what it means (most people probably think Dinan is the car dealership you bought it from).
Anyway, if you are so angry about Dinan or BMW or your m240i or not having a M2 or whatever, change your situation, and if you are NOT angry about any of that crap, then go drive your car, have fun, ........ heck, I did today on my 6 minute commute to work, ....

Last edited by nikman011; 01-12-2018 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: grammer
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #14
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I'd take the underrated M235/40 over the M2, if you're a "modder" type, and here's why.

Aside from tack width, brakes, and suspension, it's essentially the same car. In Canada the value is much different, you can't get a loaded M2 under $80k. So the $49K(CDN) I spent on my M235 leaves $30+k on the table. Keep 20 in my weed investments, and spent $10k on modding, I'm much further ahead :P

For under $10k I was able to acquire the following (keep in mind for $49k I got the MP edition kit, bodywork and LSD):

KW Clubsport Coilovers
Meagan racing 4 link replacement arms
Powerflex rear LCA bushings, Superpro Subframe bushings, and Derlin differential bushings
M2/3/4 LCA/TS's
Apex ARC8 18x9 square setup
Hotckis F&R Sway bars
F30 Front 370mm calipers
Bimmerworld Brake lines
JB4/Meth setup (360whp range)
VRSF DP, Intercooler (race), BMS intake

In reality, I am still $20k in savings from a bone stock M2, and am confident they'd have an extremely hard time trying to keep up. I'd be looking at $100k to get a factory M2 to the point where I'd be happy.

I feel I have made a compromise, to suit my modding "needs", the M2 has a price premium, that's my only point. If value isn't an issue, and you want the "best", go for the M2. I would buy an M2 in a heartbeat if I knew I could keep it stock, lol

D
      01-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I'd take the underrated M235/40 over the M2
Saying M235/40 or M2 is best car is a silly argument, until you add the magic words "for me" and things really start to get interesting. Each has it's venue where it really shines. The best car FOR ME is the M235 because I can fit 17" wheels on it to have proper rubber for the crap roads by me, it's available in AWD which I need, and after giving some $ to Dinan, it's exactly what I want. If I were to live in a different part of the country with better roads, M2 makes more sense.

There's a lot to consider when saying one car is better than another, unless you're talking dedicated track day toys.
Appreciate 1
hz101169.50
      01-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #16
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Exactly. Better and best require context. I want AWD for winter and convertible for summer. I don't need maximum performance every moment but want enough so that I'm not likely to be embarrassed on the way to Wendy's.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      01-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #17
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Until the DME is cracked the m2 is a better modder option than the 240, you don't have all the headache of dealing with the b58 dme and the N55 can push some impressive numbers

B58 will be a better engine choice someday, but who knows when that would be. With my metg/jb4 setup this car should be close to 10s but the DME makes it a nightmare to try to squeeze any more perf out of it

I'd also pay good money NOT to have a tacky dinan badge anywhere near my car
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      01-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #18
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Saying M235/40 or M2 is best car is a silly argument, until you add the magic words "for me" and things really start to get interesting. Each has it's venue where it really shines. The best car FOR ME is the M235 because I can fit 17" wheels on it to have proper rubber for the crap roads by me, it's available in AWD which I need, and after giving some $ to Dinan, it's exactly what I want. If I were to live in a different part of the country with better roads, M2 makes more sense.

There's a lot to consider when saying one car is better than another, unless you're talking dedicated track day toys.
Was stating my position with the M235, just to share my example of "value". Never said one is "better" or "best" than the other, I know better, hah :P

The M2 is the "best" out of the options available in the 2 series line up, from a performance perspective. In stock form. The M235i is best for me, because I like to mod the shit out of my cars to make them best, for me.
      01-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Was stating my position with the M235, just to share my example of "value". Never said one is "better" or "best" than the other, I know better, hah :P

The M2 is the "best" out of the options available in the 2 series line up, from a performance perspective. In stock form.
Oh I wasn't arguing with you - and even if $ equal M2 doesn't always win.

And yes it's "best" on a dry day with no snow or hills to contend with
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      01-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #20
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Oh I wasn't arguing with you - and even if $ equal M2 doesn't always win.

And yes it's "best" on a dry day with no snow or hills to contend with
I don't know of the snow, but I know my lowered 235 with MP bodywork, RWD, would not do well in BC winters, lol. That's what my 4x4 Colorado is for Small car, and truck, lol.

D
      01-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #21
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know of the snow, but I know my lowered 235 with MP bodywork, RWD, would not do well in BC winters, lol. That's what my 4x4 Colorado is for Small car, and truck, lol.

D
Ha - you know it's funny my xDrive convertible with snows is 100% capable in the bad weather, but it pains me to see it covered in salt and snow. You're on the right track, I am casually shopping for yet another car to add to the garage for bad weather days.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #22
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
Also, from what I understand, almost no matter what you do to the m240i, the handling of the M2 will crush the m240i, and really, in the end, that is going to be the big difference in how it drives.
An M235/M240 RWD, OEM staggered wheels and MPSS tires, and a true LSD is much closer to the handling numbers of the M2 than some people may want to believe. In a comparo test of the 228i vs M235 vs M2, the M235 was only 0.5 seconds off the lap pace of the M2 on a 1.5 mile track. The M2 has a decent bit more power, wider MPSS tires, more performance oriented shocks, a more robust suspension setup for track driving, and better brakes. There's little doubt in my mind that an M235/240 with wider MPSS or PS4 tires and wheels (especially in the front), more aggressive pads, and a basic tune will be right on the heels if not hanging with a stock M2. I feel that the M235/M240 is intentionally fitted with narrow wheels and tires to keep the capabilities of the car a bit lower. The front end really could use some help. 225 width front tires aren't cutting it. 0.5 seconds on a 1.5 mile track isn't hard to make up with just rubber improvements and brakes.

Dynamically, the M2 is going to "feel" better no matter what you do to the M235/M240. With that said, it doesn't take much to elevate the M235/M240.