THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Adaptive LED headlight on base m240i?

12-28-2017, 11:40 PM   #23
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Haha. I can understand why you think that, but consider the following:

- I simply have no use for nav
- I absolutely loathe the huge tablet placed on top of dash look. The smaller screen with more tapered black bar ends provides a more cockpit oriented feeling vs. literally looking and feeling like a damn huge tablet is the most important focal point of the cockpit
- I have no use for heated anything. I daily drive a luxurious Volvo XC70 and it has heated seats and any creature comfort I'd need. I also ordered M-perf alcantara red stripe steering wheel for the bimmer, so I'd lose heated wheel anyhow. I'm also strongly considering buying Recaro Sportster CS seats (without airbag or heater) and having the seat backs painted Melbourne Red a la "painted hardback seats" along with a more BMW-appropriate upholstery job.
- In 15-20 years when there's a chance I might sell it, the manual transmission and slicktop roof will bring in much more money than the (by then) outdated electronic tech.

Now, at $2000+ there's no way I'll do the retrofit. Even my hopeful $1800 target was a stretch. I do plan to enjoy the car more on the track than the mountains, so I can easily live without the adaptive lights. Just not worth $2k+ with or without the premium package...
You can't get the Laptimer without the tech package
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #24
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Laptimer? I didn't know this existed. Oh well, plenty of better lap timer + gps solutions out there.
      12-28-2017, 11:51 PM   #25
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Quote:
Laptimer? I didn't know this existed. Oh well, plenty of better lap timer + gps solutions out there.
http://www.bmwblog.com/tag/bmw-m-laptimer-app/
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:42 AM   #26
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

^ You also need some sort of subscription to be able to enable that app on your car, no?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
^ You also need some sort of subscription to be able to enable that app on your car, no?
I believe you are correct. I want to say you need the WiFi/GPS data service enabled.

From link provided by pikcachu above:

"Intended for off-road use only, the BMW M Laptimer App records data from a BMW Apps –equipped vehicle’s on-board network and GPS receiver to create comparative track sessions and provide essential performance information."
      12-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #28
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Don't think so... I think it just uses the car GPS and the phone internet..

Actually seems like you do...but is usually included for the first 3-4 years i think

Vehicle Requirements: The new BMW Connected app is compatible with Model Year 2014 and newer
Navigation-equipped vehicles, except 2014 X6. An active BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive subscription is
required. Not all features and functions will be available in every vehicle. For customers with vehicles without
BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive capabilities, it is still possible to create an account via the app to log into BMW
Connected and use the Journey Management, such as estimated travel time, learned destinations, and more,
outside the vehicle.

mmmm... that's for the BMW connected app.... but not sure if you need it for the laptimer....
Connected app needs it for obvious reasons as the car needs an internet connection to interact with the phone
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #29
OveN
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '18 F22 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I don't have the LED but I do have the adaptive xenon and can tell you it's barely noticeable. I forget I have it unless I'm actively paying attention to it. The graphics and marketing materials make it seem like it turns 45 degrees into turns but the reality is that it goes maybe a degree or two because you never realistically go lock to lock on turns.
I took the car out for a drive now, and the lights turn substantially left and right while driving. I'd say it is impossible not to notice it. From what I remember from my previous car (E91) which had adaptive xenon, I'd say the adaptive LED's light up more to the sides than the E91 xenon did.

When driving really slow the fog light on the inner side of the turn also turns on.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 01:00 PM   #30
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Don't think so... I think it just uses the car GPS and the phone internet..

Actually seems like you do...but is usually included for the first 3-4 years i think

Vehicle Requirements: The new BMW Connected app is compatible with Model Year 2014 and newer
Navigation-equipped vehicles, except 2014 X6. An active BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive subscription is
required. Not all features and functions will be available in every vehicle. For customers with vehicles without
BMW Assist/ConnectedDrive capabilities, it is still possible to create an account via the app to log into BMW
Connected and use the Journey Management, such as estimated travel time, learned destinations, and more,
outside the vehicle.

mmmm... that's for the BMW connected app.... but not sure if you need it for the laptimer....
Connected app needs it for obvious reasons as the car needs an internet connection to interact with the phone
You need to pay for the subscription to be able to use apps in the car's iDrive menu. I don't have the subscription on my 2014 so I can't use Spotify, Pandora, GoPro, M laptimer, etc.

The Connected app for your phone is free up to 10 years and that is only for things like door locks, horn, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #31
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OveN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I don't have the LED but I do have the adaptive xenon and can tell you it's barely noticeable. I forget I have it unless I'm actively paying attention to it. The graphics and marketing materials make it seem like it turns 45 degrees into turns but the reality is that it goes maybe a degree or two because you never realistically go lock to lock on turns.
I took the car out for a drive now, and the lights turn substantially left and right while driving. I'd say it is impossible not to notice it. From what I remember from my previous car (E91) which had adaptive xenon, I'd say the adaptive LED's light up more to the sides than the E91 xenon did.

When driving really slow the fog light on the inner side of the turn also turns on.
Whichever way you turn the wheel the fog light should light up.

Stopped at a light with a turn signal on will also activate the corresponding fog lamp.

Transmission in reverse should activate both fog lamps.

The lamps turn up to 10 degrees in either direction as well as 5 degrees up and down if I remember correctly. There is an arm attached to the lower control arm.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #32
fryrice
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2c

So looks like everyone here don't plan on getting the premium package and want adaptive LED.

But what if you have the premium package and want to add adaptive LED afterward? Does that work?
Appreciate 0