THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Condensation and water droplets inside headlights on a new car, is this normal!?

11-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Sunset Orange, Oyster

Condensation and water droplets inside headlights on a new car, is this normal!?

So I picked the car up Monday last Tuesday (brand new), car had been obviously been washed prior to me collecting, headlights we’re fine when I collected it and for the first few days they were fine, weather was quite mild for the time of year, experienced a bit of heavy rain and they were still fine, I then drove it yesterday to my parents (about a 2 hour drive) Arrived and noticed the outside temperature had dropped a fair bit to what it had been like. Thought nothing of it but when I went back to it an hour later I noticed a considerable build up of water droplets at the top of both headlights.
I emailed the dealer right away and he called me back saying He had seen it on a lot of cars but to monitor it and it may have to come back under warranty.
I used the car again today, headlights on for a fair amount of time and if anything they have got worse, now a foggy condensation on the bottom (the first 4 pictures are when I arrived yesterday and the bottom 2 are from just now)
Apparently the heat of the lamps should dry out any condensation but doesn’t seem to be doing it in my case? Also do the lights generate enough heat to clear up any moisture?
I also notice almost like a glass burn on the inside of the glass when the headlights are on. Like 3 circles with a line through them, hard to explain and not sure if it’s a reflection from the lights, makes them look old and slightly worn.
Is this normal? Do they need replacing? Will it simply happen again if they are replaced? If one headlight was like it I would think a possible faulty light but they are both like it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The housing are not air tight. They're designed to vent. Big temp swings could cause this especially when the dew point is low. Watch it for the next day to two. They should dry out.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

IIRC it even states what XutvJet mentioned. in the owner's manual. Same with our GTI, also in the manual. This is normal, in this day/age.
      11-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The housing are not air tight. They're designed to vent. Big temp swings could cause this especially when the dew point is low. Watch it for the next day to two. They should dry out.
That what I thought and I know there are vent holes but I made a point to check lots of cars today and everyone else’s seemed fine, every bmw I passed I stopped to check and none were like mine and they would have been under the same temperature changes as mine. I’ll keep monitoring it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
wiggy
England
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw Fan M240i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
That what I thought and I know there are vent holes but I made a point to check lots of cars today and everyone else’s seemed fine, every bmw I passed I stopped to check and none were like mine and they would have been under the same temperature changes as mine. I’ll keep monitoring it.
Hi,

Whilst at first sight, it doesn't seem correct, it appears as if it is 'normal'!

Both my wife's car and mine do this, she has an Audi and I have a 2 series coupe Lci.

I noticed that the headlights on both cars will fog internally when I wash them.

Hope this helps?

Happy motoring.

Andy
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 02:10 AM   #6
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I had my taillights do this, they were replaced under warranty. As said above, they are not air tight so this can happen and it still does on mine too, but now only the condensation happens without droplets. The criteria from BMW to replace them under warranty is if they have water droplets next to the condensation. The size of them effects if they will change them or not. From what I can see from your pictures is that they should be changed under warranty as there are big droplets in there. Just take it to your dealer/service and show them the pictures. I attached the part of BMW Driver’s Guide where it mentions it, hope this helps...
Attached Images

Last edited by omera60; 11-26-2017 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omera60 View Post
I had my taillights do this, they were replaced under warranty. As said above, they are not air tight so this can happen and it still does on mine too, but now only the condensation happens without droplets. The criteria from BMW to replace them under warranty is if they have water droplets next to the condensation. The size of them effects if they will change them or not. From what I can see from your pictures is that they should be changed under warranty as there are big droplets in there. Just take it to your dealer/service and show them the pictures. I attached the part of BMW Driver’s Guide where it mentions it, hope this helps...
Yeah. I understand the slight misting/fogging at the bottom but the droplets at the top are quite big, what if they start dripping. I’ve got lots of pictures and the dealer already said it might be a warranty job. I’ve got a 2 how drive home today with the headlights on so I’ll see if they clear. If they don’t then there’s no way they will dry out in this cold weather.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 05:05 AM   #8
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah. I understand the slight misting/fogging at the bottom but the droplets at the top are quite big, what if they start dripping. I’ve got lots of pictures and the dealer already said it might be a warranty job. I’ve got a 2 how drive home today with the headlights on so I’ll see if they clear. If they don’t then there’s no way they will dry out in this cold weather.
Precisely, it will be a solid test but as you said I don’t think droplets that big will evaporate and may cause a issue down the road. Let me know of the situation after the drive please.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Precisely, it will be a solid test but as you said I don’t think droplets that big will evaporate and may cause a issue down the road. Let me know of the situation after the drive please.
Well during the day they started to dry out but there was still a few droplets, maybe half as much as in the pictures.
I drove home, headlights on all the way, an hour and a hal journey but the droplets we’re still there. I have a feeling they will dry out eventually but I still don’t think it’s right.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #10
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well during the day they started to dry out but there was still a few droplets, maybe half as much as in the pictures.
I drove home, headlights on all the way, an hour and a hal journey but the droplets we’re still there. I have a feeling they will dry out eventually but I still don’t think it’s right.
It’s not right, however, are your headlights Bi-Xenon or LED based? If they are LED it won’t get hot in there as LED based systems don’t generate heat, if they are Bi-Xenons it should’ve disappeared in that time period as Xenons generate enough heat that when you touch the front glass after usage on some rare cases it may burn your hand. Whatever the case is, BMW still has the obligation to change them as they are as big as or bigger than what they allow and also bigger then what I had so, ask to the dealer, if they refuse take it to cooperate which should handle the case.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 05:57 AM   #11
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It’s not right, however, are your headlights Bi-Xenon or LED based? If they are LED it won’t get hot in there as LED based systems don’t generate heat, if they are Bi-Xenons it should’ve disappeared in that time period as Xenons generate enough heat that when you touch the front glass after usage on some rare cases it may burn your hand. Whatever the case is, BMW still has the obligation to change them as they are as big as or bigger than what they allow and also bigger then what I had so, ask to the dealer, if they refuse take it to cooperate which should handle the case.
It’s the LCI so I think LEDs, so I don’t think they will generate enough heat.
Anyway today I checked today and they seem to have dried out with just a slight residue. I’m getting it ceramic coated next week which will involve a wash and being kept inside so I’ll see what it’s like after I pick it up and bring it out into the cold again
Atleast I’ve mentioned it to the dealer and have 3 years to keep an eye on them.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

So a quick update, the droplets have come and gone depending on temperature but today on the passenger headlight there is an unslightly mark on the inside of the lense as shown. Also slightly foggy.
Headlights just look old and dirty, very unsightly.
I’m going to email the pictures to the dealer. No idea how this can happen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0