THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning JB4, ER Chargepipe & Wagner Catted Downpipe...

12-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #1
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

JB4, ER Chargepipe & Wagner Catted Downpipe...

Took my time installing these three things this weekend. First thing I did was disconnect the neg. battery terminal.

End result after installation = Drivetrain malfunction, full power not available yadda yadda yadda, consult owner’s manual...

Can’t connect to JB4 Bluetooth via iOS; closed apps & restarted phone 3 times. Opened up JB4 enclosure; grey “serial” connector screwed down and blue wire connected via posi-tap connector to one of the red wires (installation guide on burger website/via N54 thread not helpful at all for bluetooth, so I followed DIYBMWGuy’s YouTube vid).

I consider myself above average when it comes to mod install experience. When I double-checked all my JB4 connections, none were loose. Going over the chargepipe, I noticed the vacuum tube wasn’t fully seated, so I took care of that. I made sure to use the factory o-rings on both ends of the CP; didn’t tighten the clamps around the silicone connector until after I verified the two CP ends were in place with respective c-ring “clamps”.

There’s gotta be the smallest & simplest thing I that I missed, but can’t for the life of me figure out what it is.

I KNEW I should have bought everyone else’s Christmas presents before I indulged!

Any ideas? First thing I’m gonna do after I get over my disgust is disconnect the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I get a drivetrain malfunction whenever instal mine. If I turn the car off then back on it goes away and will not come back.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I noticed that happened the first time I turned the car off, but then it came back.

I'll give that another dance, though.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
I noticed that happened the first time I turned the car off, but then it came back.

I'll give that another dance, though.

Other things that come to mind,

-Is jb4 getting consistent power, did you positap correct red wire?
- did you plug in that small connector from obd2 to jb4 correctly. There are 4 little prongs, but only 2 have electrical contacts. I think you can plug together backwards.
-all of the connections are firmly connected
-latest version of firmware
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
-Is jb4 getting consistent power, did you positap correct red wire?
I tapped what I thought was the same red wire as the one in BMWYouTube guy did, which was the one closest to the "middle" of the bundle

Quote:
- did you plug in that small connector from obd2 to jb4 correctly. There are 4 little prongs, but only 2 have electrical contacts. I think you can plug together backwards.
You may be on to something...

Quote:
-all of the connections are firmly connected
Check

Quote:
-latest version of firmware
Hmmm, I should prolly register on N54Tech.com...

Thanks for all the input!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Checked the OBD to JB4 firewall cable; it was connected properly. Not sure if this is an issue or not, but that OBD firewall cable had 3 electrical contacts.

I re-established the stock connectors and removed the JB4...I guess I’ll try to borrow my friends voltmeter to see if all the leads are good.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #7
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Checked the OBD to JB4 firewall cable; it was connected properly. Not sure if this is an issue or not, but that OBD firewall cable had 3 electrical contacts.

I re-established the stock connectors and removed the JB4...I guess I’ll try to borrow my friends voltmeter to see if all the leads are good.
I was not looking at mine at the moment, I just remember someone else in the forum did it somewhat recently. 3 contacts might be normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was not looking at mine at the moment, I just remember someone else in the forum did it somewhat recently. 3 contacts might be normal.
Well, I disconnected the JB4 last night. Started the car up and no more Drivetrain Malfunction alert.

Of course, I ended up with a CEL. Drove the car around because I missed feeling like my car had some balls, picked up dinner, then parked it for the night.

I was hoping the overnight sit would somehow eliminate the CEL, but those hopes were dashed when I started the car this morning.

Why couldn't I have just left things alone and kept the car stock?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
It's been awhile since I installed my JB4, but why are you using positaps plus OBDII?

If you have OBDII version of JB4 then you should not be using positaps. From what I remember anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I always find BMS support to be a lot more helpful (no offense to anyone here) but they deal with troubleshooting everyday with 100's of customers. Highly recommend you reach out to them.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
It's been awhile since I installed my JB4, but why are you using positaps plus OBDII?

If you have OBDII version of JB4 then you should not be using positaps. From what I remember anyway.
The positap was included in the JB4 Bluetooth kit to power the transponder.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #12
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
The positap was included in the JB4 Bluetooth kit to power the transponder.
Weird, I don't remember using any positap for my BT kit. Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weird, I don't remember using any positap for my BT kit. Hope you get it sorted.
Did your transponder come with a blue wire in addition to the grey cord with the serial port type connector?

Thanks...I'm going to try installing the JB4 without the BT transponder connected to see if the BC button functionality even works.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #14
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I used one for mine. If I recall the bt rev 3 had a grey wire and a red power wire. They grey wire had a plug on the end the plugs directly into the jb4. You have to take the jb4 case apart to connect.

Then I believe there was a red power wire. I screwed that into the end of the positap and then tapped one of the red power wires coming off of the jb4 harness.

Oringinally I think I did this external, but then I realized there was enough space inside the enclosure. Now I have the positap inside the enclosure for a cleaner look and protection .

I believe there are two red wires in the jb4 harness. I think I googled it and found out that it recommends connecting to a certain one and identified it by the d-sub number.

As mentioned above I'd check with bms. Take some pictures of the harness and send to Terry.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #15
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I used one for mine. If I recall the bt rev 3 had a grey wire and a red power wire. They grey wire had a plug on the end the plugs directly into the jb4. You have to take the jb4 case apart to connect.

Then I believe there was a red power wire. I screwed that into the end of the positap and then tapped one of the red power wires coming off of the jb4 harness.

Oringinally I think I did this external, but then I realized there was enough space inside the enclosure. Now I have the positap inside the enclosure for a cleaner look and protection .

I believe there are two red wires in the jb4 harness. I think I googled it and found out that it recommends connecting to a certain one and identified it by the d-sub number.

As mentioned above I'd check with bms. Take some pictures of the harness and send to Terry.
Yeah, that could definitely be true with mine too. Just been awhile since I took the panel off to look at it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry for all the issues you are having OP

If it is an issue related to the JB4, contact them direct. They will get it figured out in couple hours

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
D-dub number...check! I'm going to verify I tapped that one when I get home from work tonight. I want to do as much troubleshooting before I shoot them an email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Sorry for all the issues you are having OP

If it is an issue related to the JB4, contact them direct. They will get it figured out in couple hours
No worries, Mike!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #18
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Pic

Quote:
D-dub number...check! I'm going to verify I tapped that one when I get home from work tonight. I want to do as much troubleshooting before I shoot them an email.

No worries, Mike!
Here's pic I found today on n54tunning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #19
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Last night I was able to connect via JB4 Mobile, but that's was completely by mistake...I'd forgotten to plug the OBDII cable into the car. When I disconnected the posi-tap and plugged in the OBDII cable, I got the drivetrain malfunction.

*Expletives*

When my buddy hooked up his OBDII scanner afterwards, it listed P0192, P0420 & P0238 codes. Crapsicles...

But at least now I feel like I've got enough info. to send to BMS Support.
Appreciate 0