THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Destroyed my rear Lca bushings

09-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #23
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
I replaced part # 3 on the diagram with FCM, ironically they are the cheapest and pretty much just solid rubber, which is what I want.

Part #13, 11, 17 were replaced with Megan racing parts, with spherical bearings. This removed all the flex in the suspension and is much much improved. When you see how much flex is in those stock pieces you would laugh...

Quote:
...the outer is now replaced with superpro poly, same part number as f30...
Sorry, just coming back to this thread as I'm considering picking up a few parts...
Regarding your comment about replacing part #3 with "FCM", an inexpensive solid rubber part... what is "FCM" exactly? And where did you get it?

You also mentioned that you have since replaced the "outer" with superpro poly.. which part is the outer?

#13, 11 and 17 you replaced with Megan Racing arms, and you mentioned that they were very effective, and have held up well. Of the 4 rear arms available from them, looks like 3 still use a rubber bushing (per the description on MR's site)...are the rubber bushings they use significantly stiffer than the bushings in the OEM arms? I gave a quick call to Megan Racing, and they described the intention of the arms as more for correcting geometry in lowered cars, rather than dialing out compliance and improving feel.
At any rate, below is a summary of what you've replaced (Plus #18 - any reason why you didn't replace this one with a Megan Racing arm as well?) ... Just wanted to list them all together as a reference for anyone considering upgrading these parts.

Diag. Ref#___BMW Part Name | Part#____________Upgraded Part Name | Part#_______________Notes___________
#3................Ball joint | 33326792553..................."FCM" | ??................................................
#13..............Track strut | 33326792533.................Toe Control Arms | MRS-BM-0370.................
#11..............Trailing arm | 33326792525..,.............Trailing Arms | MRS-BM-0380.......................(Pillow-ball ends)
#17..............Control arm | 33326792543/4.............Camber Rear Upper Arms | MRS-BM-0311......(Pair w/ #320)

#18..............Guiding susp link | 33326792539/40....Camber Fr Upper Arms | MRS-BM-0320.........(Pair w/ #311)

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to try to clarify so we can all benefit from all your hard work and experience.

Thanks,

Last edited by DVC; 09-04-2016 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #24
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
I contacted SuperPro to ask about their poly bushings for the rear arms, and got a very helpful reply, which included the following re: maintenance...
Quote:
With regard to squeaking and servicing/re-lubricating the bushings – our polyurethane compositions and proprietary grease formulation are designed & manufactured to be lifetime components. Meaning they do not require regular servicing or maintenance. If our included grease is used during the installation we offer a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser that covers not only failure or defects, but also squeaking.
I have been holding out for Powerflex to release bushings for our cars, but at this point I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on these from SuperPro.

Quote:
...Part #13,11,17 were replaced with Megan racing parts, with spherical bearings. This removed all the flex in the suspension and is much much improved.
Still not sure about the Megan Racing arms though... even the rep at MR said that their arms have rubber bushings that should be about the same level of compliance as the OEM parts, and that they're really just intended to address geometry issues on lowered cars. Pparana - could it be that the big improvement you noticed was due to the rubber bushings in your OEM arms being worn out?

If that's the case, my thinking is to just to go with SuperPro bushings in the OEM rear arms. (Unless... maybe the SuperPro bushings fit in the Megan Racing arms too??)

Last edited by DVC; 09-12-2016 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #25
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

If you wanted to replace stock bushings, what special tools are required? Could this be done without a hydraulic press?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2016, 04:13 PM   #26
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
If you wanted to replace stock bushings, what special tools are required? Could this be done without a hydraulic press?
+1 Possible to DIY without a press?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 04:38 AM   #27
LanceM26
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, BMW M240iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Sorry, just coming back to this thread as I'm considering picking up a few parts...
Regarding your comment about replacing part #3 with "FCM", an inexpensive solid rubber part... what is "FCM" exactly? And where did you get it?

You also mentioned that you have since replaced the "outer" with superpro poly.. which part is the outer?

#13, 11 and 17 you replaced with Megan Racing arms, and you mentioned that they were very effective, and have held up well. Of the 4 rear arms available from them, looks like 3 still use a rubber bushing (per the description on MR's site)...are the rubber bushings they use significantly stiffer than the bushings in the OEM arms? I gave a quick call to Megan Racing, and they described the intention of the arms as more for correcting geometry in lowered cars, rather than dialing out compliance and improving feel.
At any rate, below is a summary of what you've replaced (Plus #18 - any reason why you didn't replace this one with a Megan Racing arm as well?) ... Just wanted to list them all together as a reference for anyone considering upgrading these parts.

Diag. Ref#___BMW Part Name | Part#____________Upgraded Part Name | Part#_______________Notes___________
#3................Ball joint | 33326792553..................."FCM" | ??................................................
#13..............Track strut | 33326792533.................Toe Control Arms | MRS-BM-0370.................
#11..............Trailing arm | 33326792525..,.............Trailing Arms | MRS-BM-0380.......................(Pillow-ball ends)
#17..............Control arm | 33326792543/4.............Camber Rear Upper Arms | MRS-BM-0311......(Pair w/ #320)

#18..............Guiding susp link | 33326792539/40....Camber Fr Upper Arms | MRS-BM-0320.........(Pair w/ #311)

Sorry for all the questions, just wanted to try to clarify so we can all benefit from all your hard work and experience.

Thanks,
Any update on the FCM? I found this:

https://www.tatechnix.de/tatechnix/g...ml?language=en
Appreciate 0