THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning m6 paddles on m235i?

11-03-2015, 02:30 AM   #45
AnooooOH
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: M235i

Since I`m parting out my car atm, we switched back to oem paddles yesterday.
Damn, I hate the feeling of the stock paddles.

Everyone with the 8speed should def try to get a set of used pedals.

I know it`s much money for pedals, but you will get it back, since they are so rare!
And I`m not frightened that I won`t find a buyer for my set.

MANHART MH2 400 Partout
FS: MANHART MHtronik Tuning Box
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...5#post18819345
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #46
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnooooOH View Post
Since I`m parting out my car atm, we switched back to oem paddles yesterday.
Damn, I hate the feeling of the stock paddles.

Everyone with the 8speed should def try to get a set of used pedals.

I know it`s much money for pedals, but you will get it back, since they are so rare!
And I`m not frightened that I won`t find a buyer for my set.
are they for sale now ?
      11-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #47
AnooooOH
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
are they for sale now ?
Yes, I uninstalled them and will make an announce in the fs section as soon as I took pics.

MANHART MH2 400 Partout
FS: MANHART MHtronik Tuning Box
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...5#post18819345
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:49 AM   #48
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

So for those who have installed the m6 paddles on the newer style steering wheel, mine arrived today and will be installing them on the weekend!! (Very excited)

So just want to make sure a few things... Use the existing connectors? Or the new ones?

Is it necessary to take the whole wheel off? Or just the airbag?

Any other tips would be great
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #49
dphjr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
So for those who have installed the m6 paddles on the newer style steering wheel, mine arrived today and will be installing them on the weekend!! (Very excited)

So just want to make sure a few things... Use the existing connectors? Or the new ones?

Is it necessary to take the whole wheel off? Or just the airbag?

Any other tips would be great
Here's what I did:

All I did was removed the airbag, disconnected it, then unscrewed the old paddles from their connectors. Then I simply attached the m6 paddles to the existing connectors and put the airbag back in. No need to take the whole wheel off, and they still work great after months of use for me
      02-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #50
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

DIY step by step paddle swap

For anyone thinking about this but not sure how to DIY - check out the 1st post in the thread.

http://babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=83600

Very well written and photo'd guide.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #51
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

The stock levers look ugly, sounds plasticy, and not at my finder tips (I wear a medium glove so maybe small skinny fingers? ) I almost went with the M6 paddles, but too pricey and couldn't find any used at the time for less than $300.

I opted to get some Autotecknic Compition Compition levers. It has everything you need to install it on an F2X steering wheel http://www.autotecknic.com/product_p/bm-0164.htm

Feels fantastic, looks good, easy install (you use the existing control module), and closer to my finger tips. Trust me they are not as big as they look in pictures.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:47 AM   #52
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Too blue and tacky IMHO.

Each to their own - if these work for you - enjoy !
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:57 AM   #53
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

they told me it wouldn't fit f30 -.- without m6 paddles..
      02-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #54
dphjr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Too blue and tacky IMHO.

Each to their own - if these work for you - enjoy !
I actually think that the blue goes nicely with the blue stitched seats and accents.
      02-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #55
dphjr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
they told me it wouldn't fit f30 -.- without m6 paddles..
As long as you have the M-Sport steering wheel, it should work all the same. They all have the same paddle connectors.
      02-25-2016, 02:44 AM   #56
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphjr View Post
As long as you have the M-Sport steering wheel, it should work all the same. They all have the same paddle connectors.
wow glad I saw this I was going to spend way to much on m6 paddles lol, definitely going to get a pair in black. Ive swapped steering wheels a bunch of times between my e92 and f22 so I'm not worried about that but how hard was installing the actual paddle extension to the stock shifter, like removing the plastic shifter part?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #57
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwsw View Post
wow glad I saw this I was going to spend way to much on m6 paddles lol, definitely going to get a pair in black. Ive swapped steering wheels a bunch of times between my e92 and f22 so I'm not worried about that but how hard was installing the actual paddle extension to the stock shifter, like removing the plastic shifter part?
I assume you already know how to take the airbag out, other than that it is very easy to install...there is only 1 torx screw holding each paddle. Once you take that out, there is a small plastic pin that you take out to separate the module and the shifter lever (No need to disconnect the module from the steering wheel, just a tighter space to work on).

The only thing you will need to buy at your local hardware store, are two "Machine Screws" size 6-32 X 3/8” (the 1/2” is a bit too long and will go through the other side of the plastic, ask me how I know ). The M cars already have this screw from it's levers which is why it doesn't come with the package.

Trust me, when you have the new shifter and the old lever out it'll make sense. Place the module back into the new plastic backing and lever and reuse the old pin. The pin is larger at one end. I found it difficult to insert the pin back into the new lever housing, so i ever so slightly and carefully made it the hole larger (be careful when doing this as you may break the plaster lever).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 02:04 PM   #58
Anderw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
I assume you already know how to take the airbag out, other than that it is very easy to install...there is only 1 torx screw holding each paddle. Once you take that out, there is a small plastic pin that you take out to separate the module and the shifter lever (No need to disconnect the module from the steering wheel, just a tighter space to work on).

The only thing you will need to buy at your local hardware store, are two "Machine Screws" size 6-32 X 3/8” (the 1/2” is a bit too long and will go through the other side of the plastic, ask me how I know ). The M cars already have this screw from it's levers which is why it doesn't come with the package.

Trust me, when you have the new shifter and the old lever out it'll make sense. Place the module back into the new plastic backing and lever and reuse the old pin. The pin is larger at one end. I found it difficult to insert the pin back into the new lever housing, so i ever so slightly and carefully made it the hole larger (be careful when doing this as you may break the plaster lever).

Thanks for the response! also thanks for the heads up on the screw size , does the screw head have to be a particular type to fit where it goes? I'm going to look for the oem part number on the screw from a m3/4 probably A excessive lol
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #59
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderw View Post
Thanks for the response! also thanks for the heads up on the screw size , does the screw head have to be a particular type to fit where it goes? I'm going to look for the oem part number on the screw from a m3/4 probably A excessive lol
The type head shouldn't make a difference. (OEM uses torx, mine was just a flat head). Just as long as they are "Machine Screws" you should be good. I didn't even think about ordering OEM screw ha-ha
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #60
Mr_White
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Bmw M235i

I'm trying to revive this thread. I've got an M235i with the 8 speed ZF with stock paddle shifters. I'm not so concerned about the look of them, but more the plastic sound they make, and the tactile sensation under you finger tips feels all wrong. I assume BMW are using a cheap spring? Will changing to M4 or M6 paddle shifters give me the slick like sensation I get when using say, a Porsche PDK?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #61
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
I'm trying to revive this thread. I've got an M235i with the 8 speed ZF with stock paddle shifters. I'm not so concerned about the look of them, but more the plastic sound they make, and the tactile sensation under you finger tips feels all wrong. I assume BMW are using a cheap spring? Will changing to M4 or M6 paddle shifters give me the slick like sensation I get when using say, a Porsche PDK?
Also interested. I've the stock m135i paddles and the sound of the left and right paddle is different
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #62
barfastic
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport Pack

Garage List
This is really interesting...
Appreciate 0