THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Went to buy an M4 and walked out with an m235i !

09-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #45
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I was definitely more impressed with the interior of the M3/4 than the 2 series. As for size, M235 may be smaller than the M3/4 but it weighs very close to the same. Last observation; I'm on the fence wrt the purchase of an M235i or M3. When I option out an M235i the way I want i'm looking at $51k MSRP. M3 comes standard with a lot of things that are options on the M235. When I option out the M3, and sacrifice a few small things like comfort access, i'm looking at $64k. $13k more for a car that drives in a different league than the M235. Both fun, both with more power than I know how to use, but for that extra $13k you get a hell of a lot more car.
I think for some people that have discretionary income it also comes down to whether you like the idea of modifying a stock car. I have owned two M3's and I loved them both and never modified them. My last car though was a 2007 335 coupe and I did the full Dinan Stage II with engine, suspension, exhaust and wheels and I am sure that all in it cost more than a stock M3 would have cost but personally love the idea that my car is pretty much every bit as good as an M3 and more stealthy. I am picking up a 235 in Germany in October as a stop gap for the M2 but am already itching to start tinkering with it.

I love the idea that no one really knew I had 405hp and 427 feet of torque in a car that was still wearing a 3 series badge. It is priceless when you pull away.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #46
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

1. emotional decision.
2. I'm assuming it will be better than the m235i I have now

I don't see it being a downgrade and taking the money out of the picture why wouldn't I go with the M2. (Dont want to side track the thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
How do you know you would want the M2? We dont even know the final product yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #47
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewohar View Post
I think for some people that have discretionary income it also comes down to whether you like the idea of modifying a stock car. I have owned two M3's and I loved them both and never modified them. My last car though was a 2007 335 coupe and I did the full Dinan Stage II with engine, suspension, exhaust and wheels and I am sure that all in it cost more than a stock M3 would have cost but personally love the idea that my car is pretty much every bit as good as an M3 and more stealthy. I am picking up a 235 in Germany in October as a stop gap for the M2 but am already itching to start tinkering with it.

I love the idea that no one really knew I had 405hp and 427 feet of torque in a car that was still wearing a 3 series badge. It is priceless when you pull away.
While I def could understand modifying the e9x platform 335i over the M3 (I6 TT vs V8), I see very little reason to heavily modify the M235i if it is a stop gap for an M2. I don't think the M2 will be much better than a heavily modified M235i except for perhaps a wider track. You will spend money to modify the M235i to then sell it and buy a more expensive, but probably slightly slower car out of the gate?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #48
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
While I def could understand modifying the e9x platform 335i over the M3 (I6 TT vs V8), I see very little reason to heavily modify the M235i if it is a stop gap for an M2. I don't think the M2 will be much better than a heavily modified M235i except for perhaps a wider track. You will spend money to modify the M235i to then sell it and buy a more expensive, but probably slightly slower car out of the gate?
Can you imagine what a modified M4 will be capable of? Remember we're no longer talking e92...m4 is going to be a monster with just a tune
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #49
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Can you imagine what a modified M4 will be capable of? Remember we're no longer talking e92...m4 is going to be a monster with just a tune
E92 M3 was a monster with a tune as well.... just took considerably more money. The M4 can piggyback like the turbo I6s have been now. Burger tuning got well over 500hp at the wheels with a piggyback and a high ethanol blend of fuel.

But the point was to the M2. Same engine as the M235i. Most likely pushing lower boost compared to a JB tuned M235i. So a stop gap? The modified M235i will pull away from the M2, I imagine.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #50
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

OP, I see your point in some way.

Let's be clear. The M3/M4 definitely has a nicer interior than the M235, but definitely not 2x better. Most materials are the same and shared besides the "full leather" trims.

IMO, only when you reach to the 5 series and up do you get real luxury build and feel from a BMW. 2 series shares pretty much the same material and parts for less, and drives better.

I am seriously considering switching my 335 to a M235 next. I can't discern much difference in seat comfort and interior quality besides the fact they dropped out the Logic L7 surround feature on the HK system in M235 which is beyond absurd and stupid.

dL
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #51
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge View Post
Posted this on the F80 Bimmerpost forum. I'm sure I'll get tons of flames, but thought I'd tell it like it is.
(BTW - I was a manufacturing engineer at Toyota, and also worked at Ford and GM. So I know a bit about cars.)

- - - -

First, let me clarify that I can afford an M6, so it's not a question of finances. I went to the dealer today set on ordering an M4. But there was an m235i in the showroom, so I thought, 'why not sit in it'… let's see what the "lesser" model feels like.

Well, to cut a longer story short, I was floored. The M235i is in many ways, a nicer car inside than the M3/4. And a more fun drive.

My point is not to speak negatively of the M3/4, but just to say that before you sign that deal, do yourself a favor and test drive the m235i.

Let's get into some details:
INTERIOR
- no center armrest on the M3
- M3 has no passthrough! Carrying 4 adults to the ski slopes?! Sorry. Out of luck (esp since no roof rack will fit on the CF roof).
If you can afford the macan turbo it sound like the vehicle for you. There is a center armrest and the rear seat folds down on my F80. What's the problem?

The Ford fiesta ST is the drivers car to get bang for buck. Nothing comes close in value. If u don't believe me go drive one.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #52
Celestion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
If you are after top performance in a lighter car then look into a C7 with the Z51 setup.
I have the Stingray and also considered the M4. At $80k plus it was a waste of money for me.

Ended up buying the M235 as a daily driver and the C7 as a weekender.

The M235 has a more luxurious interior than most cars I have driven; C7 has better performance than the M4 track or street.
Exactly. The e92 m3 was competitive with the C6, driver-orientedness-wise, yet it was also more refined. The stingray is just a much better driver's car than the current M4, and as such the luxury advantage of the M4 is largely negated. The M4's approach to performance has become much less refined and less intrinsically sporty because of all that weight and those those weight-compensatory turbos. It's like a German Shelby Mustang GT500 (blunt, unsophisticated). It wasn't designed from the ground up to be a driver's car like the C7, any Stuttgart Porsche, or the e92 M3. The M4 just got really screwed up this time around IMO.

Last edited by Celestion; 09-05-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #53
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow this is an interesting read.....and has turned into a tweener M vs a real M. All this has made my M235 purchase so much happier and satisfying.

I contemplated the 435 cause I felt it looked more exotic and like a new released BMW. And if I was spending 50k (I know the 435 is a bit above that) I wanted something that looked the $ To me the 235 looks like his little brother. I always wanted a 335 over my 1 series...so I guess I was being drawn to a larger sleeker design.

Then I looked at the M4 and dam that was sweet.....and way out of my $ league.

It is great that the M235 is drawing such a great following....I really don't think it was ever intended to be a "true M car". But I think BMW payed attention to what the market was requesting and doing to the 1 series and has countered with a "modified' 2 series. That is what I see in my M235. A 235 with M-Sport additives. Good job!

I purchased the Tweener M and will really enjoy it in everything it has to offer for under 50K.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #54
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Ok, I will go slow so you can comprehend. I am sorry you are butt hurt because I insulted the interior of you car and my own car for that matter. Money did matter for me. I just bought my wife an SUV last year and I could not afford an 'M' car just so I could have my cake...which is a car that handles like a BMW...and eat it too... a nice interior. You pretty much have to spend $80,000 to get a nice interior in a BMW...even then it is not as nice as Porsche interiors as some have mentioned. As for the M235i, it was not even a thought for me. The 228i handles great and has plenty of power. I have said in numerous other threads on this forum that 'M' power is of no interest to me or even a 6 cyliner for that matter. My perfect car would be the 228i M Sport with 'M' class interior and all the other goodies. If I had had that extra 6 grand you are speaking of I would have gotten a fully loaded 228i M Sport in lieu of the M235i. Everybody has different likes and must haves when buying a car. A car that can go 0-60 in around 5 seconds and hit 155 mph is more than enough for me. I have never hit 100 mph in a car before...holds no appeal for me. I got the car that had what was 'MOST' important to me. I had to compromise. I was not bragging when I said $38000, I was backing up that fact that the was as much as I could spend on this car without jeopardizing a balanced budget.
I'm pretty sure I understood what you said and budget is always important. My point was that if you have never hit 100 mph in any car and would never consider a 6 cylinder, not to mention an award winning inline 6, then you could have had a lot more luxury for your 38k at another brand. The true M cars have always had exclusive leather packages. Audi,Infiniti, lexus have some great cars out right now and some even handle "like a BMW". I have no idea how your 228 is optioned, but BMW has never been known for their luxury. They have always had a minimalistic interior with a couple goofy features, but thats because cars are meant to be driven so they focus on that. I happen to love the interior of the 235 and not because I drive one. I hope you enjoy your car as much as I do.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #55
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Wow this is an interesting read.....and has turned into a tweener M vs a real M. All this has made my M235 purchase so much happier and satisfying.

I contemplated the 435 cause I felt it looked more exotic and like a new released BMW. And if I was spending 50k (I know the 435 is a bit above that) I wanted something that looked the $ To me the 235 looks like his little brother. I always wanted a 335 over my 1 series...so I guess I was being drawn to a larger sleeker design.

Then I looked at the M4 and dam that was sweet.....and way out of my $ league.

It is great that the M235 is drawing such a great following....I really don't think it was ever intended to be a "true M car". But I think BMW payed attention to what the market was requesting and doing to the 1 series and has countered with a "modified' 2 series. That is what I see in my M235. A 235 with M-Sport additives. Good job!

I purchased the Tweener M and will really enjoy it in everything it has to offer for under 50K.
Same for me. M3/4 was just too ... much. The A4 I have feels big, more so recently, not sure why. Wanted to downsize the car, upsize the engine and fun - M235i hits a sweet spot. M badge or not, don't care, its a great DD, looks damn good, and the mods will be even more fun!

It fits what I want. I think thats why we all are buying it. We wouldn't be here if we didn't care about the purchases we made (minus the trolls from other makes). Enjoy the car, enjoy the ride, high five other owners and revel in the happiness in owning a car you truly wanted.

If you didn't really want it and bought it, who's fault is that?
      09-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #56
Burgwood
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: M235i

I am so happy with my M235i, i would pick this car over the M4 any day.
You can discuss about leather parts or power... they are both in essence the same car.
I have the alcantara which i really love.

The M4 & M235i have about the same toys on board, same NAV etc.
so on that note you would not know the difference.
(Only downpart on the 2 is the absence of headsup display,
i had that in the 3 series and i miss that option very much.)

Only real difference to me is that the M235 is in more ways more of a driver car.
I don't have the M235 badge on the back, so i can drive around pretty relaxed because the car is not so obvious a "race" car.

So it has much more "show" in its design,
it looks awesome imho, but as a DD it just attracts a little bit too much attention.

(Would love the C7 as a weekend driver, but thats just not realistic overhere)

Congratulations with your purchase btw!
I don't know if i could pass out on a M6 if i had the cash for it btw...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #57
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

It's just bmw doing what bmw does. I hate when people compare to other brands. If you want what other brands have, go buy other brands. Bmw has never really been about lavish interiors, they will be nice, sporty, and comfortable, and always have been. It's perfect for my taste. The 2 interior is pretty spot on in my opinion. Few weak spots but nothing too bad.
      09-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #58
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Quote:

Hyperzulu,

I actually agree with you. Jury is out for me on the M2 but at least on the surface it is very appealing. Absolute speed at launch from 0-60 is not my main criteria it has a lot more to do with the tactile seat of the pants experience and grin factor. I will be eager to see how the M2 acts when you toss it around a corner. I would hope for a tighter ride, firmer steering and power when you need it.

I was so taken with the idea of what BMW could do with the M2 platform that rather than get into an M4 I decided to get the M235 thinking that it would be a good stop gap. My problem now is that I am already itching to start modifying it. If I do, and it it gives me the grin factor that my 335 does then I may not ever move up to the M2, will just keep trying to dial in the M235.

BTW my M3's were the E36 and E46 and while I loved the engine in the E46 I preferred the E36. Did not have the amazing stickiness of the E46 but I felt I could toss that car around with abandon and rarely felt I was in danger of ending up in a ditch which was not the case of the E46. You could push the E46 ridiculously hard but if you exceeded its capability (more likely, exceeded my talent) it got really hairy real quick.

I am just glad that at some level BMW seems to have realized that it needs to go back to producing drivers cars. M2 or modified M235 doesn't much matter to me. Question will be does it make me grin while taking the longer path from point A to point B.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #59
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Enjoy the new car. What will you do with the $30K that is left over?
      09-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #60
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

I'm having a great time modding mine.

Dinan S1 Tune
Dinan Springs
Dinan Exhaust
Vossen Wheels
3m 1080 Brushed Steel Wrap (de-badged)
Front Splitter

Car looks, drives and handles great.

My only (somewhat) complaint... aftermarket part choices are taking a tad long to hit the market so I can't mod as fast as I want to (it's good and bad).

Quote:
Hyperzulu,

I actually agree with you. Jury is out for me on the M2 but at least on the surface it is very appealing. Absolute speed at launch from 0-60 is not my main criteria it has a lot more to do with the tactile seat of the pants experience and grin factor. I will be eager to see how the M2 acts when you toss it around a corner. I would hope for a tighter ride, firmer steering and power when you need it.

I was so taken with the idea of what BMW could do with the M2 platform that rather than get into an M4 I decided to get the M235 thinking that it would be a good stop gap. My problem now is that I am already itching to start modifying it. If I do, and it it gives me the grin factor that my 335 does then I may not ever move up to the M2, will just keep trying to dial in the M235.

BTW my M3's were the E36 and E46 and while I loved the engine in the E46 I preferred the E36. Did not have the amazing stickiness of the E46 but I felt I could toss that car around with abandon and rarely felt I was in danger of ending up in a ditch which was not the case of the E46. You could push the E46 ridiculously hard but if you exceeded its capability (more likely, exceeded my talent) it got really hairy real quick.

I am just glad that at some level BMW seems to have realized that it needs to go back to producing drivers cars. M2 or modified M235 doesn't much matter to me. Question will be does it make me grin while taking the longer path from point A to point B.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #61
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hyperzulu,

I actually agree with you. Jury is out for me on the M2 but at least on the surface it is very appealing.
Yeah no idea how they will execute.... will they focus the car toward power, weight reduction, handling or all of the above? I think you will lose some refinement, but the modded M235i will give you lots of satisfaction. We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Enjoy the new car. What will you do with the $30K that is left over?
Hookers and blow, duh!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #62
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

[QUOTE=mmmmm235i;16587998]I'm pretty sure I understood what you said and budget is always important. My point was that if you have never hit 100 mph in any car and would never consider a 6 cylinder, not to mention an award winning inline 6, then you could have had a lot more luxury for your 38k at another brand. The true M cars have always had exclusive leather packages. Audi,Infiniti, lexus have some great cars out right now and some even handle "like a BMW". I have no idea how your 228 is optioned, but BMW has never been known for their luxury. They have always had a minimalistic interior with a couple goofy features, but thats because cars are meant to be driven so they focus on that. I happen to love the interior of the 235 and not because I drive one. I hope you enjoy your car as much as I do.[/QUOT

My car has been in the shop since June 30th. I was rear ended after having it 3 weeks and 628 miles. I really love the car despite the interior. It has the best power train of any vehicle I have ever driven. It will probably end up going to my daughter when she turns sixteen as it is not worth much for trade in after having greater than 25% of its value in collision damage. I am sure I will give the M2 a look when it comes out. That or a Cayman will probably be my next car. When that time comes it will be the only car I will be making payments on.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #63
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post

My only (somewhat) complaint... aftermarket part choices are taking a tad long to hit the market so I can't mod as fast as I want to (it's good and bad).
Ha ha. This is a GOOD problem. Your car already looks great and stands out from the crowd. You can take some time off from modding and just drive the hell out it!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #64
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
Ha ha. This is a GOOD problem. Your car already looks great and stands out from the crowd. You can take some time off from modding and just drive the hell out it!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #65
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I love my m235i but to tag it as the best or best in its class "drivers car" is completely BS. I mean its a great car for its money but its no Drivers car. it weights 3500lbs, it starts in comfort mode that drives like a toyota camry. they only give you 2 driving modes (chasis & drivetrain).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 10:37 PM   #66
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

3500lbs is not that heavy in today's market

I miss my z06... it was 31xxlbs and it had 505hp. That car was a beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
I love my m235i but to tag it as the best or best in its class "drivers car" is completely BS. I mean its a great car for its money but its no Drivers car. it weights 3500lbs, it starts in comfort mode that drives like a toyota camry. they only give you 2 driving modes (chasis & drivetrain).
Appreciate 0