THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum ATS-V Coupe or M235i Cab?

09-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #111
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade33 View Post
Well I was in the market for an m235, but now am also considering the ats-v. OP, did you get your lease deal from a dealer in the Bay Area? If so, would you care to share which one?
I leased mine from Arizona and had it shipped to CA for $350.

The dealer I purchased from was Coulter Cadillac in Tempe. I worked with Gus. Excellent experience. I couldn't find a dealer in the Bay Area that was willing to deal. Fremont Cadillac had a car on the lot which was essentially the same, but I couldn't get them to even respond to emails/calls.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #112
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post

There is a reason why the deal is so good, nobody wants them.
Well, to be fair people aren't buying them because in relation to their competition, the car is overpriced. Cadillac can't compete with the Germans at the same price point. That's based on a purchase though. For a lease things are a different story. August was the first month where the ATS-V could be had at such an attractive payment (under $600/month with zero down) and from what I hear, it was a solid month for the ATS-V in terms of sales.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #113
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
August was the first month where the ATS-V could be had at such an attractive payment (under $600/month with zero down) and from what I hear, it was a solid month for the ATS-V in terms of sales.
Those prices are just flat out insanely good.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #114
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
Does anyone actually buy cars anymore? :-)
Depends on the car. Would I buy a Miata? Yes, because they are cheap, easy to maintain, and depreciate very little. A luxury car though? No, I likely won't unless it's a unique car like the M2 or higher-spec Porsche which retain value extremely well. I like to switch cars often and after owning several German cars out of warranty, I've decided to avoid throwing my money into a pit.

Switching cars often + out of warranty expenses = I always lease.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #115
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeped View Post
I test drove an atsv coupe last week. It along with many other atsv's on the lot were discounted up to 12%. Overall I liked the look of the car in person better than I had in pictures. The interior seemed acceptable as well. Im not partial to any one brand and generally drive what I like, justed wanted to add that bit of info. Problems started as soon as I turned the key.... This example with just 14 miles on the odo seemed to have an annoying moan coming from the driveline somewhere while at idle. It was quite loud and very concerning/disturbing. Then the test drive went far worse. Massive rattling and squeaking (very loudly) coming from what seemed to be the mid section of the car. More on that later. Still trying to be fair I continued down the road. Moving along I give it about 40-50% throttle and what do I hear next? Audible detonation from under hood. I was shocked. I gave part throttle a few more times and each returned distinct audible detonation. The sales guy was an idiot and didnt know what that was. I reluctantly slammed the throttle to the floor and the car seemed very slow. Much slower than my 235. The car was also in track mode. Now clearly there was something drastically wrong with this car on multiple levels because i know this is an impressively powerful car. Back at the dealer I open the door and the sales guy points out the weather seal around the drivers door is hanging off. He figures this is what caused the rattling and loud squeaking. So it still moaned at idle, detonated at part throttle, and was very sluggish. No brand new car especially at this price point should be such a bag of shit on a test drive. Nothing could make me want this car after that experience and the dealer should be ashamed. Major turn off when a brand new car on a test drive has so many issues. Oh and he offered $28500 for my nearly loaded '14 m235 with 18k miles in pristine condition which stickered for $55k. No thanks and will never go back. Good luck to those who try the atsv. Not for me even though I wanted to like it.
That sounds horrible! I don't know what you drove, but that sure doesn't sound anything like my ATS-V which has been amazing. You should drive another example of the car because you definitely drove a lemon. I'd also question the quality of the dealership you went to. They clearly aren't up to luxury brand standards.

Regarding what they offered for your trade-in, that's not too far off what I'd expect. You can get a 2014 M235i with under 18K miles for under $34K:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3812/overview/

I'm sure you could have gotten them up to $30K for your car, which would leave them with a few thousand in profit (standard for used car markup).

Regardless, having owned a 2015 M235i for a year prior to the ATS-V, the cars aren't even in the same league performance-wise. The ATS-V makes the M235i feel slow...like really slow. It's night and day. Don't even get me starting on the steering feel. The ATS-V has the best steering response I've felt in any car over the past few years. My 2007 Z4M Coupe was always the benchmark I used and this ATS-V may have it beat.

The only complaint I have about my ATS-V is the backup camera, which is terrible. Aside from that minor issue, the car has been flawless both in terms of performance and quality. Just to give you an idea of the cars I've owned in the last 10 years for comparison purposes...

2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe (purchased used in 2007)
2007 Z4M Coupe (new)
2009 Z4 Roadster (purchased used in 2011)
2011 335i Sedan (new)
2013 535i Sedan (new)
2013 Audi S4 (new)
2014 335i Sedan (new)
2015 M235i Coupe (new)
2016 C300 Sedan (new)
2016 ATS-V Coupe (new)

So far, the ATS-V would rank as my 2nd favorite car (Z4M is 1st). That's how good it is all around. Of course, things could change over time if problems start developing. However, right now I'm very happy with the car. Great first impressions.

Last edited by M2audioman; 09-12-2016 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:04 AM   #116
Spade33
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza

I test drove an ATS-V today. Going to go drive an m235i tomorrow to compare, but initial impressions were quite good. I drove a 228i a while back and was mostly concerned that the ATS would feel big in comparison, but that was not the case (even though it looks much bigger).

Steering is super precise, very good feel, and the car rides better than I expected. It's easy to break rear traction when cornering if you want to, but the car is completely controllable when that happens (which is my definition of being a fun car).

I wish it made a bit more noise, and had a nicer interior (though the recaro seats are amazing), but overall I was very impressed with the handling and engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #117
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade33 View Post
I test drove an ATS-V today. Going to go drive an m235i tomorrow to compare, but initial impressions were quite good. I drove a 228i a while back and was mostly concerned that the ATS would feel big in comparison, but that was not the case (even though it looks much bigger).

Steering is super precise, very good feel, and the car rides better than I expected. It's easy to break rear traction when cornering if you want to, but the car is completely controllable when that happens (which is my definition of being a fun car).

I wish it made a bit more noise, and had a nicer interior (though the recaro seats are amazing), but overall I was very impressed with the handling and engine.
Your impressions essentially echo mine. Curious to hear your impressions vs the M235i after your test drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #118
Bleeped
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235

335audioman- glad you are enjoying the atsv. I may hit up another dealer because I do like the car and would like to experience one that isnt a lemon. Keep y'all posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:03 AM   #119
Spade33
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza

So after driving the ATS-V yesterday, I tried an m235i today. The first thing I noticed is that 235's engine actually sounded better to my ears (not sure how much was due to artificial sound). Overall though, I would consider the ATS-V more as a serious racing machine whereas the 235 felt like a fun, powerful, capable car for everyday use. The handling, balance, and steering of the ATS are other-wordly, whereas the 235 is simply "really really good".

That being said, I loved driving the m235. The engine sounds glorious, and pushing it into the high revs was just so satisfying. It reminded me a lot of my old 330i sport, but with more power and a smoother ride. In contrast, I almost feel like the ATS had TOO MUCH power for use on roads around where I live.. step on the pedal and I'm instantly over the speed limit. The ATS is such a capable machine that going 30 mph just isn't rewarding - I feel like I need to be going 3x that.

Another small difference was the size. While you can't really tell the ATS is larger from the handling, outward visibility is a little better in the 235. I hate looking out over large hoods, and while the ATS-V isn't bad (actually better than I expected, and I think better than the M4), I liked the smaller feel of the 235.

Anyway, that's my two cents from short test drives. Ultimately it looks like lease offers for the ATS-V are significantly worse this month, so I'm leaning toward the 235. For me it's the right combination of fun + price, and I don't think I'd be able to make full use of the ATS-V unless I tracked it regularly.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #120
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Great write up!

You're probably right. The ATS-V is more car than anyone needs for daily driving. Sounds like you would have gone with the ATS-V if the leases were still super aggressive though.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #121
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

So....Quick update.

I sold the ATS-V Coupe on Friday after just 1 month of ownership. Loved the power and handling of the car, but ultimately decided that I needed 2 things to be happy:

1. Convertible
2. Manual Transmission

So I am finalizing a lease now on a M235i Convertible with a Manual.

My 8th BMW in 9 years. I just can't get away.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 04:41 PM   #122
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman
So....Quick update.

I sold the ATS-V Coupe on Friday after just 1 month of ownership. Loved the power and handling of the car, but ultimately decided that I needed 2 things to be happy:

1. Convertible
2. Manual Transmission

Just got one on Saturday. Skipped the Cadillac and went straight from the m235 coupe to the vert. Love it. You won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #123
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
So....Quick update.

1. Convertible
2. Manual Transmission

How do get out of a lease in a month without taking a bath? Or don't you care?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #124
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
How do get out of a lease in a month without taking a bath? Or don't you care?
That's the thing..I did not take a bath. I actually made a very small profit!

Last week I noticed that the lease deals on the M235i Vert were really attractive. So I went to the KBB Instant Cash offer website and entered my ATS-V info to see what my car value was. My GM Financial payoff to buy the car out of the lease was $63,204. The KBB Cash offer was $63,575. Having used the KBB instant cash offer in the past to sell another car, I was fairly certain the dealer would honor that price and they did. No hassle. I was in and out within 45 minutes. I did not buy a car from the dealership that I sold my ATS-V to. I was under no obligation to do so.

When I was going through the process with the dealership to sell my car, I asked them how they were able to buy my car at that price knowing full well that the car has a market value roughly $10K below that. He stated that in the past 4 years he has purchased over 150 cars through the KBB deal and my KBB cash offer was only the 2nd time he has seen KBB so far off from the actual market value. He said they would simply buy the car from me as part of being an affiliate of the KBB program and would immediately send it to auction. If the car doesn't sell for the $63,575, then KBB covers the difference. Dealership loses nothing in the process, so to them this is just part of being in the program.

It was actually a great experience and I was VERY lucky to get out of the car without losing any money. I timed it right and the inflated KBB cash offer made it happen.

If that offer didn't exist, I would have kept the Caddy.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #125
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Great
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #126
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
The KBB Cash offer was $63,575.
This is absolutely unbelievable, but I believe you that they honored it.

KBB must have really made a mistake on this one, that is way above market value.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #127
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
This is absolutely unbelievable, but I believe you that they honored it.

KBB must have really made a mistake on this one, that is way above market value.
It's insane. I'm still shocked by it to be honest. KBB screwed up on this one.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #128
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
So....Quick update.

1. Convertible
2. Manual Transmission

So your wife was right all along.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 04:02 PM   #129
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
So your wife was right all along.
Sort of.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 08:24 PM   #130
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240
I think for a dd, it doesn't matter which you go with, although I'd be inclined to say the caddy would probably have a better ride regardless of it being a sports car. Not to mention you pay less and get more miles per year. Since you've had an m235i, id say go for the caddy and experience it since the new 235/240 is going to ride the same with the exception of a top down.

Personally, I'd go the caddy route but that's me being a pushrod fan.
ATS-V LF4 isn't a pushrod, it's (DOHC), but I agree go for the Ats-v. Lower payment more car. I mean a lot more car if you consider it's on the M4 level. Better handling then M235 as well.

I love the fact that the ATS-V was born. It's been the only car to stand tall on bmw's m3/4 pedestal and match it to some degree. It is THEE car that will make BMW M push the envelope further and better in the next model. IMO nothing has come close to the M3 until the ATS-V came out. I'll strap up the flame suit cuz here come the domestic caddy haters. But it's the truth.
      09-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #131
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
...........there's really nothing different under the skin from a Chevrolet. They take a Chevrolet, change the grille and taillights, put a Cadillac emblem on it and then price it $25K more.......
Ummmmm, so which Chevrolet model is it that you believe is identical "under the skin" to the ATS-V for $25K less?
None lol I don't know what the heck he's talking about. The ATS-V shares zero panels with any Chevy. In fact it doesn't even share all the same panels as the base ATS.