THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Thermal shock rear brake light assembly

04-08-2024, 10:53 AM   #1
NKOTB2015
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460, Toyota Sequoia, B

Thermal shock rear brake light assembly

I found moisture in my right brake light assembly after a hand wash

Took the light assembly out and removed the back plate that holds all the bulbs and in attempt to speed up the drying process, I used a hair dryer (as often suggested by numerous TY videos online) to blow hot air into the light assembly housing and it caused several cracks in the lens...one was right down the middle about 5" long...

Ordered a new replacement light and have it installed so everything's back to normal but wanted to share a caution in case someone runs into this situation.

I used a Dyson hair dryer on high temp/fan speed setting...probably should've took my time and used low temp/low fan speed but that's hindsight.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 05:34 PM   #2
qlaval
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i X Convertible

Hi Fan setting with Low Heat setting, not the other way around...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 06:03 PM   #3
NKOTB2015
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
Hi Fan setting with Low Heat setting, not the other way around...
Maybe...but plenty of ppl put their lights in an oven to take the housing apart..at least w other brands..so...maybe BMW jus has crappy plastic?? Idk 🤷*♂️

I still love the way it drives so it is what it is
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
qlaval52.50
      04-10-2024, 07:19 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKOTB2015 View Post
I still love the way it drives so it is what it is
That's the BMW spirit – and, the reality!
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
qlaval52.50
      04-11-2024, 12:16 AM   #5
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
I found moisture in my right brake light assembly after a hand wash

Took the light assembly out and removed the back plate that holds all the bulbs and in attempt to speed up the drying process, I used a hair dryer (as often suggested by numerous TY videos online) to blow hot air into the light assembly housing and it caused several cracks in the lens...one was right down the middle about 5" long...

Ordered a new replacement light and have it installed so everything's back to normal but wanted to share a caution in case someone runs into this situation.

I used a Dyson hair dryer on high temp/fan speed setting...probably should've took my time and used low temp/low fan speed but that's hindsight.
This is probably the reason they went with LEDs with LCI.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 07:53 AM   #6
NKOTB2015
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
This is probably the reason they went with LEDs with LCI.
When did the LCI occur? When I received the new replacement light, there was an additional wire attached to the light assembly. My car only has one wire/plug for the light assy so I just taped the extra wire/connector to the backside of the light assy. Anybody have any idea what the extra wire/connector is for? I ordered the replacement with yr/make/model plus the VIN. Everything else seems to match the stock light assy.

I'm kinda nervous about the driver side light assy now...I would like to seal it somehow before it starts leaking too...I practiced some using clear silicon chalk on the old PS light and it's messy..plus it doesn't look good because there is a small lip around some sections of the light assy and unless you can get the chalk to fill the gaps created by the lip evenly all the way around, it doesn't look right. I think I need something thinner (free-er flowing) like clear epoxy or something and apply it using a syringe...I'm looking into UV activated epoxy as a possible solution, otherwise, you'll have to sit and hold the light assy in position for hours waiting for it to cure and not run lol.
If anybody has any experience or suggestions, I'm all ears.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't bother to take a picture of the extra wire/connector.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 08:12 AM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
When did the LCI occur? When I received the new replacement light, there was an additional wire attached to the light assembly. My car only has one wire/plug for the light assy so I just taped the extra wire/connector to the backside of the light assy. Anybody have any idea what the extra wire/connector is for? I ordered the replacement with yr/make/model plus the VIN. Everything else seems to match the stock light assy.

I'm kinda nervous about the driver side light assy now...I would like to seal it somehow before it starts leaking too...I practiced some using clear silicon chalk on the old PS light and it's messy..plus it doesn't look good because there is a small lip around some sections of the light assy and unless you can get the chalk to fill the gaps created by the lip evenly all the way around, it doesn't look right. I think I need something thinner (free-er flowing) like clear epoxy or something and apply it using a syringe...I'm looking into UV activated epoxy as a possible solution, otherwise, you'll have to sit and hold the light assy in position for hours waiting for it to cure and not run lol.
If anybody has any experience or suggestions, I'm all ears.

P.S. Sorry, I didn't bother to take a picture of the extra wire/connector.
LCI F22s were sold in MY2017. What color is that extra wire? If it's brown it's the extra ground.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 11:05 AM   #8
NKOTB2015
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
LCI F22s were sold in MY2017. What color is that extra wire? If it's brown it's the extra ground.
The extra wire was black with a small (2-pin, I think) connector.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 02:22 PM   #9
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

The problem was you used a Dyson.😁
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 02:36 PM   #10
NKOTB2015
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirazkhan View Post
The problem was you used a Dyson.😁
Probably...wait, is that why I'm losing my hair??
Appreciate 0