THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery A few Euro Delivery logistical type questions

05-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

A few Euro Delivery logistical type questions

Hi all,

Now that the hp numbers have been released for the M2 (assuming they're final), I'm much closer to pulling the trigger on the M235i and not waiting for the M2. I wish I could wait for the 2-series LCI, but I don't see me waiting another year and a half for this car. I wanted it a year ago and have waited this long.

Anyway, I'd like to do ED, but I've always had a few lingering questions about it and the process. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Here goes:
  • I know they take 7% off MSRP. Is this negotiable? I feel like I read somewhere someone got 14% off, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. What are your experiences with negotiating prices with the ED? Less flexible because they're already offering the 7%?
  • How does a trade-in work with ED? I have an '09 TSX that I'd want to trade in, but I would need to hold onto it until I took final delivery of the BMW in the states (after picking up at Welt and then dropping off for shipping back home). Is that normally possible? Or is the dealer going to want to take my trade-in right away? How have you guys managed this process? I commute to work so I need a car all the time...
  • I'm assuming payments start on the car at the time of pickup at Welt. Is that true? If it is true, I'm a little concerned that I'll be making payments on a car that I won't be in possession of while it's being shipped back to the states. I'm assuming that's just part of the process, and there's nothing I can do about it...
  • How long should I expect the period of time to be between me placing the order with the dealer and actually picking up at Welt? If I ordered today, how many weeks until I could expect to pick up? I'm assuming it varies, but what's typical? Does the date get scheduled right away, or does BMW notify you when you have a pickup date? How far out from the pickup date do they notify you?
  • How long does it take for the car to be shipped back to the states? I live in Maryland.

That's a lot of questions. Answers to any or all would be appreciated. I want to make sure I get my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:26 AM   #2
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Whoops, I just realized there's a whole forum for ED. Maybe a mod could move this thread. Sorry about that. I'm also going to browse that for some of these answers.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
jwr0721
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

-7% not negotiable

-Must trade in car BEFORE you take delivery in Germany (which means you'll need a rental or some other transportation for the 6 weeks it takes to shop vehicle to the U.S.

-Payments begin at European delivery. That's not negotiable.

-Scheduling varies, but you'll want to pick up after March 15 and before October 15

-Shipment usually takes 4-6 weeks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
MEBII
Mike Bryan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
If you use BMW financing, payments begin 60 days after "funding". Funding is when you sign the documents (sales and financing contracts). I was asked to fund the purchase no later than two weeks prior to your delivery date.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
Anyway, I'd like to do ED, but I've always had a few lingering questions about it and the process. Hopefully you guys can help me out. Here goes:
  • I know they take 7% off MSRP. Is this negotiable? I feel like I read somewhere someone got 14% off, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. What are your experiences with negotiating prices with the ED? Less flexible because they're already offering the 7%?
  • How does a trade-in work with ED? I have an '09 TSX that I'd want to trade in, but I would need to hold onto it until I took final delivery of the BMW in the states (after picking up at Welt and then dropping off for shipping back home). Is that normally possible? Or is the dealer going to want to take my trade-in right away? How have you guys managed this process? I commute to work so I need a car all the time...
  • I'm assuming payments start on the car at the time of pickup at Welt. Is that true? If it is true, I'm a little concerned that I'll be making payments on a car that I won't be in possession of while it's being shipped back to the states. I'm assuming that's just part of the process, and there's nothing I can do about it...
  • How long should I expect the period of time to be between me placing the order with the dealer and actually picking up at Welt? If I ordered today, how many weeks until I could expect to pick up? I'm assuming it varies, but what's typical? Does the date get scheduled right away, or does BMW notify you when you have a pickup date? How far out from the pickup date do they notify you?
  • How long does it take for the car to be shipped back to the states? I live in Maryland.
1) the 7% is very negotiable. I got over 13% on my m235i. Over 10% is common. Find a good dealer. Mine is great and I have had friends from PA, SC, MD and FL order thier cars through him. (As the ultimate endorsement I sent my father in law to him.)

2) Trade-in timeframe is negotiable. One of my friends turned in his trade-in at time of delivery in the US on an ED car.

3) Payments generally start 2 weeks before Welt delivery.

4) Minimum 5 weeks is the rule on order to pickup. This can be dependent on alocation availability.

5) 4-8 weeks for delivery to east coast.

I can't emphasize enough to find a good dealer.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by tke743; 05-10-2015 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #6
Heraklitus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBII
If you use BMW financing, payments begin 60 days after "funding". Funding is when you sign the documents (sales and financing contracts). I was asked to fund the purchase no later than two weeks prior to your delivery date.
This was my experience as well. It effectively meant that I made one payment about a month before I take possession in the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
Heraklitus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743
I can't emphasize enough to find a good dealer.
This this this! Mine was bad, and while things are working out in the end, the whole process was a virtual nightmare that it didn't need to be.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #8
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heraklitus View Post
This this this! Mine was bad, and while things are working out in the end, the whole process was a virtual nightmare that it didn't need to be.
Exactly, sorry to hear it. If anyone needs my guys info feel free to pm me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #9
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBII
Does delivery date = Welt delivery or US delivery after shipping it home? Assuming the former since the latter would mean you drove it in Europe without having made any payments.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Your dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heraklitus View Post
I've done a couple test drives with a couple local dealers and was unimpressed with their demeanor, so I'd be more than happy to take you up on your offer for your dealer's info. I'll tell them you sent me if you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Also, one other question. I should probably know this already, but if I wanted the performance exhaust plus ED, at what point would they install it? It's installed at the port, right?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #12
opfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rabbit

Quote:
Also, one other question. I should probably know this already, but if I wanted the performance exhaust plus ED, at what point would they install it? It's installed at the port, right?
don't think this is possible. I don't think port installed options are allowed on ED cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #13
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfreak View Post
don't think this is possible. I don't think port installed options are allowed on ED cars.
That is correct. You can get it added after US delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #14
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've done a couple test drives with a couple local dealers and was unimpressed with their demeanor, so I'd be more than happy to take you up on your offer for your dealer's info. I'll tell them you sent me if you want.
PM sent
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #15
Heraklitus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke743 View Post
I think it was easy for me to forget that the vast, vast majority of cars sold are NOT EDs, and a lot of CAs have never done a single one before. And if they haven't, there are a lot ways to screw it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #16
MEBII
Mike Bryan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Does delivery date = Welt delivery or US delivery after shipping it home? Assuming the former since the latter would mean you drove it in Europe without having made any payments.
>Welt Delivery Date. FYI, the lingo for US delivery after European Delivery is "Redelivery".

I completed the sales contract on March 28th, took delivery at the Welt on April 20th. My first payment is May 28th. I did make a down payment, but no regular monthly payments yet. But, since I'm in California, I will likely make two payments prior to re-delivery.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 11:52 AM   #17
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEBII View Post
>Welt Delivery Date. FYI, the lingo for US delivery after European Delivery is "Redelivery".

I completed the sales contract on March 28th, took delivery at the Welt on April 20th. My first payment is May 28th. I did make a down payment, but no regular monthly payments yet. But, since I'm in California, I will likely make two payments prior to re-delivery.
Just finalizing one now. Will sign and fund this Friday, Welt pickup the 28th.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 05:00 AM   #18
FoxCrane
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blue

For purchases, BMW requires full payment 2 weeks before ED pickup. I got about 12% off US MSRP on my 228. I negotiated based off ED invoice.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #19
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxCrane
For purchases, BMW requires full payment 2 weeks before ED pickup. I got about 12% off US MSRP on my 228. I negotiated based off ED invoice.
How did you know what ED invoice was? And you're not saying you got 12% off invoice, right? Just that you used that as a price point.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Couple other questions have come to mind. With ED, am I able to pick my own delivery date (or choose from a few options, at least), or is the date chosen for me? What if I wanted to schedule my delivery at the same time as someone else's? Anyone have any experience with that?

Also, I forgot to ask how much notice they typically give you for delivery. How long am I going to have to set up the trip between the time I'm notified and the time I need to take delivery at the Welt?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #21
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
I did ED in 2011 for my e91, and I am doing it again this summer for my M235i.

One thing to keep in mind. There is no "discount" for ED. It is a lower MSRP, and there is a corresponding lower invoice price to the dealer you buy the car from - the dealer makes no contribution to that, it is purely BMW. Thus, you can negotiate just like on any other car purchase - the margin to the dealer is about the same. And since ED cars do not come out of the normal dealer allocations in most cases, you can often get a better deal on an ED car. I got about $6K off US MSRP, which works out to ~$800 over ED invoice, more or less. I got a similar deal in 2011, ~$5K off on a cheaper car. I'm also doing Performance Center re-delivery, so most likely the first time the dealer will ever see the car is when the first service is due. I have a buddy who is an inspection mechanic so he will probably throw the first sticker on it for me.

For the trade-in, I suspect this is state specific. In Maine, the only way I could do a trade-in and get the sales tax credit would be to turn in my car the day I sign the papers on the new one. Otherwise, it is just the BMW dealer buying my car - no tax credit. Other states vary wildly in this. Some states even give the sales tax credit if you sell your old car privately - must be nice!!

In 2011, I signed the papers in mid-June on the new car. They built it on July 1, and I picked it up July 28. My first payment was due August 1, though I always paid them on the 15th so I made the first payment July 15. This was with BMW Financial.

In my case I did not trade my previous car in, as BMW made me an utterly insulting offer on it - '08 Saab 9-3 SportCombi with 30K. They offered $12K, I sold it privately for $18K. I actually sold it in May. As my other cars at the time were a Spitfire and two Alfas, I picked up a $1200 Volvo 940 wagon to get me by until the BMW was re-delivered. That took six weeks from when I dropped it off in Amsterdam. I then sold the Volvo for about what I had in it. That was some CHEAP motoring for six months! Love those old RWD bricks.

I'm not trading in a car this time either - I sold my Fiat Abarth to CarMax for $2500 more than BMW offered at the end of March. Saved me the $500 to register it again too.

I had no problem getting the exact date I wanted for the pickup last time. Technically things are still up in the air on the new one because due to my desired pickup date it will be a 2016 model, and the order book for them is not open yet. I don't anticipate a huge problem there though.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #22
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Not to bump a crazy old thread, but does BMWFS make second payment for financing as well, or just leases?
Appreciate 0