BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Will i-drive be an option or mandatory on the M2?

04-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 BSM Manual M2 Comp

Will i-drive be an option or mandatory on the M2?

Will i-drive be an option or mandatory on the M2? I'd imagine it would be the same as the 228 and 235 and they will force us all to put up with it. Has anyone heard conclusively one way or another?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Has it ever been an option on any modern BMW? Honestly I don't understand why, aside from buying the car for a track car, why you wouldn't want it. It gives you more options and customization over features that in most cars you just have to deal with it. I'm fairly new to BMWs but I can't say I'd give it up in either my two daily driven cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
Has it ever been an option on any modern BMW? Honestly I don't understand why, aside from buying the car for a track car, why you wouldn't want it. It gives you more options and customization over features that in most cars you just have to deal with it. I'm fairly new to BMWs but I can't say I'd give it up in either my two daily driven cars.
this.

i know some people want a 'stripped down' feel to these cars....but honestly modern cars are NOT stripped down anyways....and it's sort of naive to think that not having idrive somehow makes a car 'stripped down'.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
I dont get why you wouldnt want Idrive. I really like my Idrive and I'm assuming you track your car religiously but I dont know how it can get in the way. I also assume the components dont weigh alot so weight shouldnt be an issue.

Just a FYI, alot of high end track cars like porches and gtr's have display screens.
      04-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Well its on the M6/5/4/3 so I guess if there's an M2 it will have idrive? Agree might be nice to save some weight but I cant see it.
      04-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

I know it probably sounds weird to most but I just got my first m3 and I couldn't deal with the ugly bump the navigation screen put in the dashboard line, which I like for its simplicity. I set out to buy a 2012 black convertible with navigation/idrive. Once I started test driving I ended up with a zcp coupe, no navigation and a manual transmission but otherwise loaded with extended leather, comfort access etc. Man that dashboard hump is ugly.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Federer View Post
I know it probably sounds weird to most but I just got my first m3 and I couldn't deal with the ugly bump the navigation screen put in the dashboard line, which I like for its simplicity. I set out to buy a 2012 black convertible with navigation/idrive. Once I started test driving I ended up with a zcp coupe, no navigation and a manual transmission but otherwise loaded with extended leather, comfort access etc. Man that dashboard hump is ugly.
the 1-series had a bump/hump. the 2-series has a rising screen that goes into hiding so there is no bump.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the 1-series had a bump/hump. the 2-series has a rising screen that goes into hiding so there is no bump.
I don't think the screen goes in to hiding.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Screen does not hide.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
Darth Federer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 m3 SSII Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Whether it retracts into the dash or not, that has to be a major aesthetic improvement over that unsightly hump.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #11
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwhamc View Post
I don't think the screen goes in to hiding.
oh really!? didn't know that.

i don't really mind the hump in the 1....so i guess i wouldn't mind a screen sitting out either.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #12
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's a very frustrating system to use. I don't enjoy it.
I've driven a few different models that have it for extended periods of time, and my experience with it has been annoying at best. Things I expected to be able to do, weren't an option - maybe that's because a tech 'package' wasn't purchased to enable certain features (don't get me started). Why touch screens are not already in BMW's by now is beyond my comprehension - menu navigation via an encoder wheel is mind-numbly annoying. Is the framerate at least better in the newer versions?
It's fairly easy to understand why I don't want it: I don't like it and prefer simpler systems.

Do I want it to remember my seat positions according to what key I use? No - I want manual seats with levers that allow me to move the seat in 1/10th the time it takes for a bunch of heavy linear actuators to spin their grease filled shafts. I don't move my seats, and when I do I want them moved NOW. Electric seats are for older or lazy people who hardly want to move their own bodies to adjust their own comfort - for that demographic there is the 3, 5, 6 and 7 series. Manual seats are lighter and less expensive to manufacture.

My anti-tech attitude is not about having a screen or a lump in the dashboard. Excuse the rant, however I miss cars like the 300ZX and will dearly miss my N54 135i when (if) I let it go. I already miss my E36. I want a simple, powerful drivers car that's more refined than american cars, has a manual transmission, and the power goes to the back (BOTH wheels: LSD). I want to be part of a mechanical machine, not abstracted from it and an operator of buttons - I do that in my day job enough already. Isn't that what M is all about?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcore View Post
It's a very frustrating system to use. I don't enjoy it.
I've driven a few different models that have it for extended periods of time, and my experience with it has been annoying at best. Things I expected to be able to do, weren't an option - maybe that's because a tech 'package' wasn't purchased to enable certain features (don't get me started). Why touch screens are not already in BMW's by now is beyond my comprehension - menu navigation via an encoder wheel is mind-numbly annoying. Is the framerate at least better in the newer versions?
It's fairly easy to understand why I don't want it: I don't like it and prefer simpler systems.

Do I want it to remember my seat positions according to what key I use? No - I want manual seats with levers that allow me to move the seat in 1/10th the time it takes for a bunch of heavy linear actuators to spin their grease filled shafts. I don't move my seats, and when I do I want them moved NOW. Electric seats are for older or lazy people who hardly want to move their own bodies to adjust their own comfort - for that demographic there is the 3, 5, 6 and 7 series. Manual seats are lighter and less expensive to manufacture.

My anti-tech attitude is not about having a screen or a lump in the dashboard. Excuse the rant, however I miss cars like the 300ZX and will dearly miss my N54 135i when (if) I let it go. I already miss my E36. I want a simple, powerful drivers car that's more refined than american cars, has a manual transmission, and the power goes to the back (BOTH wheels: LSD). I want to be part of a mechanical machine, not abstracted from it and an operator of buttons - I do that in my day job enough already. Isn't that what M is all about?
Agree with you 1000%. Manual trans and Manual seats for me. And the only thing I do not like on my new 228 is Idrive. No, it does not "Hide" but at least you can cut the display off so its no so destracting. My car 228I, Manual trans, Xenon lights, HK stero. Thats it
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
bitcore
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
Agree with you 1000%. Manual trans and Manual seats for me. And the only thing I do not like on my new 228 is Idrive. No, it does not "Hide" but at least you can cut the display off so its no so destracting. My car 228I, Manual trans, Xenon lights, HK stero. Thats it
... I... still want a large engine
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #15
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

I would only want the big screen if I get Nav.

I find it very clunky to use when I've had multiple loaners while my car is in for service.

I'd rather have a double-din in-dash radio for a little more displayed information.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #16
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Having I-drive or nav on a some cars just doesn't fit for me. For example, if I had an e46 M3, I wouldn't want Nav or idrive on it. Simply because I don't think it suits it. If the car is about the driving experience, I'd rather not have anything that could distract me from that experience. However, if we're talking about an M5, I'd be pissed off if it didn't come with idrive.

Second, I'm scared of electronics. For me, they're just more things to go wrong down the road if I decide to keep the car.

Third, they usually look ugly (IMO). I've rarely seen a cool looking nav screen that's properly placed. I haven't been in a 2 series in real life so I couldn't judge this.

With that said, if the M2 is supposedly the driver's car what I think it truly is, I'd want it no nav, no I-drive, no sunroof. At most, I'd like it to have auto dim mirrors, nice seats, (and possibly DCT/Auto if I daily it)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

My 05 Evo and 09 135i have no iDrive, no Nav, no leather, manual seats and transmissions, no sunroof for the Evo. Neither are track cars. Not hardcore 'stripper cars' by any means but pretty spartan. Does just fine driving up and down the west coast, through the Cascades, Wasatch, Uintah, Rocky mountain ranges, and across the Great Plains. Seemed too comfy driving the 135is Dct on the same routes.

Last edited by m981addicts; 05-01-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Nav isn't standard on the M235i, I don't see why bmw would make it standard on the M2. On the M235i you get what looks like a Nav(screen), but its not.

We all know it should be standard(but deep down) we all know bmw will be "milking us" for every nickel and dime and make it an option. Heck just look a floor mats not being standard! lol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Heck just look a floor mats not being standard! lol
They are . . . in the USA, as are many other Euro options!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1rd3y3 View Post
What value are you adding to this forum? The guy asked a question and you are not answering nor contributing ANYTHING to it.

You are hijacking it and wasting people's time. Furthermore, I had the same question. I will not buy an M2 if I have to get I-drive.

Obviously, you cannot understand why some people are looking for a more pure, less gadgety experience without a TV display in your line of sight with your car that goes 0-60 in just over 4 seconds. You wouldn't understand that so if you can't help answer the question, then start a new thread on why you think that all sports cars should have a plasma display, fake sound, no more temp gauges and we can steer with PS3 thumb controllers.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #21
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Nav isn't standard on the M235i, I don't see why bmw would make it standard on the M2. On the M235i you get what looks like a Nav(screen), but its not.

We all know it should be standard(but deep down) we all know bmw will be "milking us" for every nickel and dime and make it an option. Heck just look a floor mats not being standard! lol
Dackel, you know I hold the highest admiration for you and I understand what you mean about it being standard. It should be standard for cost so if you want it, it's included. However, they should have a delete option for the rest of us. I don't want TV display in my line of sight. Here in the USA, we cannot order any new BMW without a TV display now. I don't care at this point if they charge the same price, I just don't want it. It's too high up on the dash for me and when I buy a "dream" car, I want that pure clean cockpit.

PS. Thank you for all you do.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #22
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

So the original posters question was, does anyone know if I-drive will be mandatory in the US? It's a very valid question. We all know everyone has different opinions but I also would like to know as soon as possible. I am holding my breath for the M2 because I am underwhelmed by the M235i and the M3 also forces iDrive.

It is a two year wait for the M2 so I would like to know if there is a BMW spy out there that knows because if it will be mandatory in the USA, I can take my name off the list and look for something else.

My guess it is too early to tell. On the other hand, maybe some BMW folk will see that there are few people that don't want it because the M2 is supposed to be targeted at more purists and track/autocross junkies and they will let you delete it.
Appreciate 0