THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Msport suspension vs track package/Variable sport steering?

05-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
tubedreamer
Private
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2008 SSII 6MT E90

Msport suspension vs track package/Variable sport steering?

I'm considering whether to get the track package. I like the brakes but not sure about adaptive suspension and variable steering ratio.

How do people like the variable sport steering? I'm not so sure it's a good idea. Would people prefer conventional steering ratio or variable steering for performance/track driving?

How is there m sport tuned suspension compared to the adaptive suspension in the track package?

Last edited by tubedreamer; 05-07-2015 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

The adaptive suspension has the benefit of being stiffer than the standard sport suspension (when in sport and sport+ mode) and being more compliant when in comfort. IMO it's the best of both worlds, unless you plan to rip out the suspension and go aftermarket anyways.

I've had the variable steering on both my F30 and F23 and have no issues with it. To me any difference that happens at speed is not perceptible. I only notice it at low speeds like when maneuvering in parking lots and then it comes in handy, sometimes I end up over-turning the wheel because of it and parking crooked (or when I get in another car I under-turn the wheel while parking).

At speed though I have no issues, it turns in exactly how my brain wants it to.
      05-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
The adaptive suspension has the benefit of being stiffer than the standard sport suspension (when in sport and sport+ mode) and being more compliant when in comfort. IMO it's the best of both worlds, unless you plan to rip out the suspension and go aftermarket anyways.

I've had the variable steering on both my F30 and F23 and have no issues with it. To me any difference that happens at speed is not perceptible. I only notice it at low speeds like when maneuvering in parking lots and then it comes in handy, sometimes I end up over-turning the wheel because of it and parking crooked (or when I get in another car I under-turn the wheel while parking).

At speed though I have no issues, it turns in exactly how my brain wants it to.
I am basing my comments from driving my 2013 335i Msport for 3 years.
Some things may be different on the 2 series.

The benefit of having a softer ride with the adaptive suspension is a bonus.
The other benefit is that you get additional settings so that you can have the stiffer sport suspension/chassis setting while having the trans in "comfort" mode to get all 8 gears.

As for the M adaptive dampers being "stiffer or firmer" I don't see that being true. From what reviewers have described when driving both versions they say that either suspension, sport or M adaptive, feel about the same. Also, the adaptive suspension does not change from sport to sport+. In both settings it is the same, as long as you have it configured to be in "sport chassis" mode in the "sport driving" configuration. IOW, the adaptive dampers have only 2 settings, standard and sport.

The added benefit to the adaptive dampers is that they "adapt" to different road conditions and bumps, so in that sense they do a better job of controlling the springs as the compress and rebound. On some bumps the dampers can be softer or firmer as they adapt to the how the springs are moving.

I've tried to find information regarding the spring rates on the standard sport suspension vs the M adaptive but I haven't found the actual rates.
If you've found that data please share where I can find it.
I'm just curious given the anecdotal information regarding the 2 suspensions given by pro reviewers.

OP, the variable ratio steering works just fine, no problems.
If you want the extra settings and better functioning dampers then get the option. I like the added settings and I like being able to put the dampers in a "softer" mode for highway driving.
Could I live without it? As long as I had the standard sport suspension, yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't know if anyone has the specifics but I was comparing my old F30 with the adaptive dampers to a F30 sport I was driving for a week as a loaner. To me the adaptive dampers in sport felt a bit stiffer, but that again is anecdotal and could have also been the impact of other variables like the tires or pressures. It was not different enough for me to think the sport line felt less adequate in any way - but for many people the F30 was too "Soft" of a car even in sport trim.

I don't think either option is "bad". The only "bad" choice I could see being made is if you get a no line car with the standard suspension. The standard suspension is pretty mediocre on these cars. Any time I drive a 228 or 328 no line I am reminded how much the option-less BMW's start to feel like fleet vehicles.

Just my .02 - I don't know if there is any published factual information to indicate the damping rates end up being any measurable difference.
      05-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I don't know if anyone has the specifics but I was comparing my old F30 with the adaptive dampers to a F30 sport I was driving for a week as a loaner. To me the adaptive dampers in sport felt a bit stiffer, but that again is anecdotal and could have also been the impact of other variables like the tires or pressures. It was not different enough for me to think the sport line felt less adequate in any way - but for many people the F30 was too "Soft" of a car even in sport trim.

I don't think either option is "bad". The only "bad" choice I could see being made is if you get a no line car with the standard suspension. The standard suspension is pretty mediocre on these cars. Any time I drive a 228 or 328 no line I am reminded how much the option-less BMW's start to feel like fleet vehicles.

Just my .02 - I don't know if there is any published factual information to indicate the damping rates end up being any measurable difference.
I think he means comfort is softer damper than sport.... but sport and sport+ are same rate
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
I think he means comfort is softer damper than sport.... but sport and sport+ are same rate
Sorry I think the nomenclature makes these conversations extremely confusing.

I was referring to the "Sport" dampers - which come on sport line and M sport cars.

Then there is the adaptive which yes, is the same rate in sport or sport + mode.
      05-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

This is the debate I'm struggling with as well. Do I order a car with just the Track Handling package because I don't need the M-Sport or Sport package or just get a car off the lot that has more options than I want. I'm trying to get the 6MT with just the Handling package and lighting package, Terra Leather in Mineral White Metallic. I don't need or want the extras. Not really sure what the difference would be. The car would be my daily driver and weekend AutoX/HPDE car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
What, for the uninformed is the track package on the M235i? I'm guessing it's VSS and adaptive suspension and maybe something else. VSS is standard here and I would echo Cyberdemon remarks, at speed it weights up very nicely and slow manoeuvring takes very little effort in wheel turns. Adaptive suspension is more noticeable in comfort mode especially over distance. I can't imagine a long journey on the sports suspension set up which stiffens up for those 'sporty moments' an option here, about $800.
      05-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketretro View Post
What, for the uninformed is the track package on the M235i? I'm guessing it's VSS and adaptive suspension and maybe something else. VSS is standard here and I would echo Cyberdemon remarks, at speed it weights up very nicely and slow manoeuvring takes very little effort in wheel turns. Adaptive suspension is more noticeable in comfort mode especially over distance. I can't imagine a long journey on the sports suspension set up which stiffens up for those 'sporty moments' an option here, about $800.
there is not such thing as track package for the M235... it comes with it by default...
which is the VSS, adaptive suspension, M sport brakes and the Summer tires

If you don't want anything else get the base 228 (non m-sport nor sport line) and get the THP
that way you get pretty much a M235 performance wise with the N20 engine.... only thing you miss is the sport seats, sport steering wheel, bumpers, that you can only get with the m-sport or sport line

Last edited by pikcachu; 05-10-2015 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil View Post
This is the debate I'm struggling with as well. Do I order a car with just the Track Handling package because I don't need the M-Sport or Sport package or just get a car off the lot that has more options than I want. I'm trying to get the 6MT with just the Handling package and lighting package, Terra Leather in Mineral White Metallic. I don't need or want the extras. Not really sure what the difference would be. The car would be my daily driver and weekend AutoX/HPDE car.
Not sure about the specific configs in your country but M sport will also give you the M sport steering wheel, 18" wheels, and sports seats - which IMO are very valuable additions (aside from the fact that the bumpers make it look like a proper BMW).
      05-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I would be getting one that is US Spec for when I move back to the US this summer from Germany. I would just eventually get the BMW performance alcantera wheel with blue stripe. It's the stealth mode appearance that catches my eye. Looks ordinary at first glance and then you are wondering how I got so far ahead of you until you realize the Pilot Sport Cups and slotted rotors.

I am still toying with getting an E9X M3 as well. I would buy that in the states as they are way overpriced here. There's a very nice 135 fully loaded I have my eye on here and a 228i in Midnight Blue with Terra leather, Premium, Light package with the 6MT that I'm also eyeing here. I would be able to drive it until mid July when I have to ship it home in time for it to be there when I get there to pick it up and drive off with my Euro temp plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #12
Crowden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Not sure about the specific configs in your country but M sport will also give you the M sport steering wheel, 18" wheels, and sports seats - which IMO are very valuable additions (aside from the fact that the bumpers make it look like a proper BMW).
In the US the standard sportline gives you 18" wheels (different style but 18) and the sport seats. Not the kielbasa steering wheel, though ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #13
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Here's what I wrote on this topic in another thread, FWIW:

I have to say, I do love the variable suspension. When I select Sport or Sport + mode, I can feel the car hunker down on its springs and as I start to push it, I can feel a lot less roll and viscerally sportier driving manners. The adjusted gearing is hugely significant, but so is the chassis' response to the load you put on it under acceleration, I would argue, and that is governed by the suspension settings. By the same token, the softer settings in Comfort mode are well suited to freeway driving when you don't want to be anywhere close to the edge. The car is like Jeckyll and Hyde in this respect. As for the steering, I appreciate it but am less passionate; I believe it and the variable suspension once came as separate packages but are now bundled together. I've noticed that the extra steering wheel travel at low speeds helps with parking and such chores and the limited travel at speed makes the car feel rock-solid on freeways, especially for such a small car. I've driven bigger cars that feel less planted on the freeway at 100 mph.

I am sure that the 228i M Sport is a superb handling car even with fixed suspension and steering geometry but, as I said, I went all-in, for better or worse. The engineering involved in the variable suspension/steering is so spectacular and the Sport modes with the stiffer suspension so suited to committed sports car style use of the car (safely and on appropriate roads, of course!) that I guess I felt that I was not going to experience the full potential of this car without it. Of course, I could have stepped up to an M235i that comes with all this stuff as standard, but the loaded 228i M Sport was still cheaper in the end and, in my opinion, ultimately better value for money. As it is, I have to compromise with a coupe (I have two kids) as a 2-seater is not practical for the time being, so I was determined to get as sporty a coupe as I could find for the money. You may well be right, though; all this great BMW tech might bite me in the a$$ about five minutes after the warranty expires. I am hoping it won't.

I would only add that, when considering Sport Line, take a look at the front of the car. It's a matter of taste but I much prefer the big air ducts at the front of the Sport Line models. This more aggressive styling goes better with the car's character, which (if you have some or all of the high-performance options) is quite fierce when driven spiritedly.

Just my 10c.
Appreciate 0