THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Poll: LSD as a Factory Option

View Poll Results: Should BMW offer LSD as a Factory Option on M Performance Models
Yes - LSD should be offered as a Factory Option 85 95.51%
No - LSD should remain an M Performance Parts item 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

04-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
What is the point of even offering it if seemingly no one is going to buy it? I see a bunch of people complaining that it is not available, and those same people saying they are not going to buy it because it is too expensive.
+1... well said... either include LSD w the car as standard, or otherwise who cares because it's way too expensive as a standalone option.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #24
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Well price fitted has been announced in the uk and it's £3500 for parts and £300 for fitting. That's about $5k.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
+1... well said... either include LSD w the car as standard, or otherwise who cares because it's way too expensive as a standalone option.
Wouldn't a Quaife or Wavetrac be cheaper than this, installed? I'm hoping that if the MP part is made theoretically available, that the LSD would be an easy swap, unlike the e92 that could not be unbolted.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #26
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
What is the point of even offering it if seemingly no one is going to buy it? I see a bunch of people complaining that it is not available, and those same people saying they are not going to buy it because it is too expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
F30form, as you said in one of your own posts in another thread, the more people that buy the LSD the less costly it will become. You guesstimated between $700 -$1000 as an available factory option if the take up was good enough. People are bitching, me included, about the ridiculous costs involved in its current form as an accessory item. And to boot you're stuck with OEM differential inards that you suggest can be sold on eBay instead of having to buy a remanufactured diff if the stock one goes bad.

As you said in yet another post, BMW people should be accustomed to paying higher prices for the quality/performance they get with the brand (or words to this effect). I agree to an extent so 1) You get what you pay for and BMW quality is top notch but 2) I don't like getting raped in the process and 3) I'll be damned if I'm going to package up a greasy rear end diff and ship it off to who knows who and who knows where - provided that used rear diffs are suddenly in demand and everyone with 2's, 3's and 4's has diffs that fail...when they're out of warranty.

You also mentioned in another post that the BMWCCA was instrumental in getting BMW to bring the LSD to market. Kudos to them btw. But I guess the point of your post was to infer that the "market" (us here in the forums and hundreds who don't ever visit here) are acting like ingrates because the price is too high? Speaking for myself, it is too high. And with added labour, it's ridiculous. But as per your thoughts on LSD if it were offered as a factory option, it'd be a no brainier if it came down to the levels you suggested - which I agree would be more than fair. And anyone who knows about the benefits of LSD - on track or off - would likely be purchasers particularly if offered in a real "Track/Performance" package.

If BMW is testing the waters by offering LSD as a high priced assessory to gauge take up and then maybe considering it as a factory option (at a lesser price) down the road, then there's only one word to describe their move; FAIL.

And Indiana Jones, Greg007, CosaNostra or whoever else you choose to be while you're banned and disrespecting the Forum rules.....thank you for your educated input. Once again, very insightful.

Last edited by Mark's M; 04-17-2014 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #27
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
Well price fitted has been announced in the uk and it's £3500 for parts and £300 for fitting. That's about $5k.
And a steal at that lol. Good grief.
      04-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #28
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Quaife diff installed is about £1600 in the uk.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #29
John Morgan Evans
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

When I was ordering mine this option didn't even show up. I would have been all over it if I knew. TBH I wonder how much better the numbers will be though. I believe it was Motortrend's review put the M235 with the open diff very near the 1M numbers (which has the wider track etc). Which makes me wonder if the car really needs it or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #30
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Morgan Evans View Post
When I was ordering mine this option didn't even show up. I would have been all over it if I knew. TBH I wonder how much better the numbers will be though. I believe it was Motortrend's review put the M235 with the open diff very near the 1M numbers (which has the wider track etc). Which makes me wonder if the car really needs it or not.
This review seems to indicate, it could use it. Power delivery through turns would smoothen out and make the car easier to handle quickly.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972710
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 08:43 PM   #31
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Its on the BMW website

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...F22&pgDsId=273
      04-20-2014, 01:13 AM   #32
stantaur
Registered
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 4D/Auto

What type of LSD unit is BMW offering?

The link above says it's "mechanical" but my question is, whether it is:

A: Quaife / Torsen gear type similar to those used in S2000s (inside wheel unloaded = spins inside tire, unlike the following 3 types)
B: Clutch pack/disc type, similar to Eaton/OSG/ATS/Kaaz/Cusco
C: Viscous type, similar to Nissan's Z car factory design
D: Electromagnetic, similar to C7 Corvette Z51 package

I've been waiting for BMW's fecal convergence on this long enough now that I'm considering forgetting the M235i and going for a used GT-R or keeping my IS-F. I loved Dad's 2002 tii and my E36 M3, but BMW lost its way and clearly hasn't found it yet. Really wanted to like the M235i, but their failure to assort LSD option (or even what type of diff) and pricing is really disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #33
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantaur

A: Quaife / Torsen gear type similar to those used in S2000s (inside wheel unloaded = spins inside tire, unlike the following 3 types)

I've been waiting for BMW's fecal convergence on this long enough now that I'm considering forgetting the M235i and going for a used GT-R or keeping my IS-F. I loved Dad's 2002 tii and my E36 M3, but BMW lost its way and clearly hasn't found it yet. Really wanted to like the M235i, but their failure to assort LSD option (or even what type of diff) and pricing is really disappointing.
It's clutch based made by drexler I believe
      04-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #34
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantaur View Post

Chill dude. Its a clutch type. 30% lockup on accel, 9% on decel. If you were at the Blipshift popup garage meetup outside of the the NY auto show, you would have gotten all the dirt Pricing for M235i LSD will be $2895 as of May 1st.
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/wha...eve-1562216185
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #35
Greenkirby21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chill dude. Its a clutch type. 30% lockup on accel, 9% on decel. If you were at the Blipshift popup garage meetup outside of the the NY auto show, you would have gotten all the dirt Pricing for M235i LSD will be $2895 as of May 1st.
cool! any more info?
      04-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #36
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

There is supposed to be a video of the session going up on that site. I'm guessing it will be up in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #37
ManCityFan
Banned
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR

Quote:
oooh....yes please!

question for anyone: do port installed options have to be selected when the car is ordered? before build begins? before car is loaded on the boat or boat reaches port? thx.
Appreciate 0