THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Who here is a first time BMW owner/convert? Why?

04-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #23
P454905
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: l

First time car buyer. Parents bought me a car at 16. 28 now, so it's been more than overdue, just waiting forever for something that I really wanted to come out
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
I have a 235i on order.

I am not only a first time BMW buyer, but a first time "sports car" buyer. The only new vehicle I've bought in the past was a Nissan Frontier 4x4 pick up truck . I tended to be more....practical in the past. The M235i is not a "practical" car. It's not something a prudent person would buy.

Basically, I'm living in Germany for work so I have access to the Autobahn. So I wanted something fast. Mercedes is really more luxury than performance, from what I found. Except their little hatch back which is too expensive IMO. The Audi S4 is over my price range and the S3 isn't out yet.

I wanted a German car to drive around Germany.

So that pretty much narrowed it down. I wanted to keep the price under 40K, but ended up spending 47K on the 235i. I had no reason to get a 3 or 4 series. I don't need 4 doors and the 2 is faster/cheaper than the 3/4 series.

IMO anyone buying one of these cars in the U.S. is wasting money. How often do you even get to break 100 mph in the U.S.? Very rarely. And if you get caught, you're going to prison and possibly losing your career (depending on what profession you're in). Absolutely moronic to buy a powerful/fast car in the U.S.

But I'm not in the U.S., so I can drive fast without going to jail

And I intend to.

are you being serious or are you trolling, i really don't understand some of these peoples logic. buying one of these cars in the u.s. is a waste of money? lmao. if you get going over 100mph, you aren't going straight to jail nor will you lose your career. this would only apply if you're a multiple offender, and you were weaving like a maniac. there are ton of people who break 120mph everyday. plus if you weren't aware, we have "tracks" as well.

"IMO anyone buying one of these cars in the U.S. is wasting money." - wtf what?

"How often do you even get to break 100 mph in the U.S.?" - everyday?

"And if you get caught, you're going to prison and possibly losing your career (depending on what profession you're in)" - depends.

"Absolutely moronic to buy a powerful/fast car in the U.S. But I'm not in the U.S., so I can drive fast without going to jail " - you trying to brag about being in Germany made you look like a complete ignorant fool.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #25
SuitedUp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

LOL, I thought it was kinda crazy too.

Mostly because, I can enjoy a quick car without even going 100+. The whole thing is wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #26
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

I must be an absolute moron to buy 2 cars that can easily hit 100+ mph. 228i might not show my stupidity much but the S6 definitely does. That thing is crazy fast.
      04-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #27
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areutalkingtome
First timer here coming from a long line of VW's including a 2008 Tornado Red R32. After driving moms 2013 328 I knew I needed a BMW. I love everything about my 228i and despite what a lot of people are saying I think it rides great on the 18in run flats.

The 228i has a good blend of handling, power, fuel economy, comfort and cost. Its the perfect car for me right now.
Just saw a blue R32 on the road today kind of miss mine...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedUp
LOL, I thought it was kinda crazy too.

Mostly because, I can enjoy a quick car without even going 100+. The whole thing is wrong though.
I used to commute from NYC to NJ every day. I can honestly say some of the most fun I had with my S4 was going really slow in the holland tunnel to get a sufficient gap then dropping it a gear, hearing the turbos spool up and going from 10-50 very quickly. The acoustics in the square tunnel were amazing. So yes you can still have a lot of fun. People often use quick and fast interchangeably but you can enjoy the quickness of the car every single day without actually driving very fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 09:05 PM   #29
///cpt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i BSM/CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmak10 View Post
First time car buyer. Parents bought me a car at 16. 28 now, so it's been more than overdue, just waiting forever for something that I really wanted to come out
I'm in the same boat as you.

Parents bought my first car at 17, an Acura RSX type-s, now long gone, now I'm 26 with a decent job and saved up enough for something nice. Originally was looking for a used M3 until more and more info started coming in on the 235, so I figured why not jump into something new with a warranty rather than deal with potential out-of-warranty problems down the road.

Can't wait to take delivery in June!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #30
jhbjrpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i Sportline

I had a 2008 Mini Cooper S. It was a blast and brought me back home in terms of fun cars. I did track days with it and some suspension mods. I hated to see it go. It's a car that makes a trip to the grocery store a pleasure. OTOH it also has a tough ride. On bad roads, with the mods it would beat you up and on long runs it was loud. I also was hankering for a rear wheel drive car. I looked at the 1 Series but just couldn't give up the gas milage to do the straight 6. And, sorry, the looks just didn't do it for me. Started stalking the 2 series as soon as it was a thought. The spy pics got me excited. So, now I have 228i Sport which gives me a better HP to weight ratio than the Mini. 50/50 balance. And a smoother ride with a bunch more tech goodies. When it is good and broken in later this summer, it's back to the track for some real fun. Had it for a month and I love it. Though....good lord it did seem huge at first after 5+ years in a Cooper.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:15 AM   #31
And88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 228i Deep Sea Blue / Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic View Post
I used to build/drive some mean VW's in my youth (13 sec 1/4 mile Beetles, etc.). After getting married, family, etc. life has been a series of sensible Accords and minivans. Last car was a Prius, as I was driving a lot for work. A few month's ago wife and I rented a 2012 M3 for a trip along the CA coastline. Stunning ride that hooked me on wanting a driver's car again.

Have researched everything and driven most. BMW consistently gave the athletic feeling I was looking for. Fully intended on getting a 335i, but saw the "Torch" video during the Olympics and later an M235i at a dealership. The 2 door was a strike against practicality but my wife argued we have her 4 door Lexus for 5 people comfort if needed. Took a test drive and the 235 simply made me smile during the entire drive. Punchy, nimble, predictable. 300+ hp, 30+ mpg, civil handling for the wife, beast mode for daddy (sport +) and virtually every reviewer has been confirming my enthusiasm for it.

EB/Black, Performance/Luxury/DA 1 & 2, Alarm, Cold Weather and Performance Exhaust. Just left the Panama Canal headed for So Cal a few day's ago. The wait has been frustrating, but is almost over.

Sounds awesome! These cars... they have a way of getting into your brain and making you do things you wouldn't normally do.

Just spent the evening doing Topanga / Mulholland in my new 228i - to think of what the experience might be like in the M235i, scary fun.

My sales guy at BMW Beverly Hills also has an M235i, once enough of them are here we should all do a 2er LA group.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:30 AM   #32
And88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 228i Deep Sea Blue / Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I used to commute from NYC to NJ every day. I can honestly say some of the most fun I had with my S4 was going really slow in the holland tunnel to get a sufficient gap then dropping it a gear, hearing the turbos spool up and going from 10-50 very quickly. The acoustics in the square tunnel were amazing. So yes you can still have a lot of fun. People often use quick and fast interchangeably but you can enjoy the quickness of the car every single day without actually driving very fast.
YES. Did some turbo tunneling in LA this evening, windows /sunroof down - awesome.

I'm in the 228i, and I assume it's because of the turbo, but the power comes on a lot lower in the RPMs than with my experiences with E36 - E90 non turbos. Seems like power band starts lower and is wider...but with less torque near the redline.

Who knows what's going on, all I know is you get more opportunities to have fun. You don't have to drive 100 mph to get that feeling of excitement.

Hell, the interior is so beautiful I enjoy it when I'm stopped in the parking structure.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #33
yep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i ED June 11

I stand by those statements. If you're caught doing 15-20 over the limit in Maryland, D.C., or Virginia, you are immediately arrested and taken to jail for reckless driving. The highest speed limit in the region is 65 miles an hour, so you can't take your car over 84 miles an hour without going to jail. I'm sure that's true in other parts of the U.S. as well.

Many people who are fined more than $300 on a traffic citation or arrested have to report that due to work related reasons. Enough reckless behavior like that and you lose your job. Examples: lawyers, cops, anyone working for the government, medical workers, etc.

In the U.S. you should buy something more practical and more fuel efficient, not some 20 miles to the gallon monster car that you'll be sitting in traffic with and hardly ever break 90, let alone 100 miles an hour in. An F-150 would be more fuel efficient and infinitely more practical than something like an M235i in the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #34
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep
I stand by those statements. If you're caught doing 15-20 over the limit in Maryland, D.C., or Virginia, you are immediately arrested and taken to jail for reckless driving. The highest speed limit in the region is 65 miles an hour, so you can't take your car over 84 miles an hour without going to jail. I'm sure that's true in other parts of the U.S. as well.

Many people who are fined more than $300 on a traffic citation or arrested have to report that due to work related reasons. Enough reckless behavior like that and you lose your job. Examples: lawyers, cops, anyone working for the government, medical workers, etc.

In the U.S. you should buy something more practical and more fuel efficient, not some 20 miles to the gallon monster car that you'll be sitting in traffic with and hardly ever break 90, let alone 100 miles an hour in. An F-150 would be more fuel efficient and infinitely more practical than something like an M235i in the U.S.
Why are you here, then?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #35
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Purchased my first ever BMW today. Read a lot of reviews and road tests, then test drove the new M235i this morning. Brought it home this afternoon. The car arrived at our local dealership day before yesterday and folks were standing in line for a test drive. I had the first appointment. Heh! Traded in my Mazda RX-8 that I bought new almost 10 years ago.

I'm a very happy camper.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #36
trixonik
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

This is my first BMW (M235i). I've had an Acura RSX, Honda S2000, Infiniti G35, Nissan 370z, and a Mercedes e300d. I had narrowed down my decision on a new car to a Subaru WRX, M235i, or 428. I test drove all of them and within three minutes of driving the M235i I knew I wanted it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #37
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Congrats, gents!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 03:11 AM   #38
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

First, reckless driving is not a go-directly-to-jail offense, even in VA.

If you don't understand why you would want to own one without going over 84 MPH maybe you should reconsider your purchase before you lecture everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #39
PigWig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i X-Drive

Quote:

I've had my car for over a month and have had a lot of fun without exceeding 100 MPH. I live in a fairly urban/suburban area (BMW dealer is within 4-5 miles of my house), but 15-20 minutes away are mountains, lakes, rivers, and lots of curvy roads with 50-55 MPH speed limits. I have far more fun whipping through the scenic backroads at 65-70 MPH than I do trying to max out the car.

If I wanted a car for straight-line highway speed, there would be a plethora of other options available for far less money. The thing I love most about BMWs is their handling/cornering. Of course hitting a highway on-ramp and romping on the gas is fun, but there is far more to driving than hitting triple digits on the speedo.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 07:26 AM   #40
cmbaldwin
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

I just became a first time BMW owner, purchasing a 2014 228i. I upgraded from a 2008 Mazda 6 and could not be happier about the new car. My dad and my uncle have always had BMWs so I have been around them and liked them for as long as I can remember. I converted to BMW because I think this company has one of the best pedigrees of any car companies around and they make an outstanding product. Their customer service is awesome (at least at the dealership I go through) and they really made me feel like I was joining a family. Owning and driving a BMW is just a pleasant experience all around.
Appreciate 0