THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) BMW M235i Accident Repair Nightmare

09-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #23
Audioholics
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
They took the deck lid off the car for paint, hence they did not clear the hinges, they did clear the underside which is more than factory. The lights were just installed wrong, and they did not adjust the bumper tab. I have had all those parts of my car since I did a full respray (laguna seca blue). Just shitty reassembly. Certified shops are usually the worst, other than audi.

Drive the car for a bit, if it feels off sell it. Just my 2 cents but most cars can be fixed visualy but never track or handle right after a hit.
The car handles and drives fine. The only remaining issue is intermittent pumping/metallic noise from the HVAC. How they introduced this by simply changing the condenser is beyond me. I've taken it back twice and they claim they can't hear the noise, meanwhile I clearly hear it and have recorded it.

I went to another BMW dealer to get my car appraised and they knew right away it was rear ended once they stuck a paint meter on it and also saw signs of overspray in the trunk and tape residue near the glass. They only appraised my car at 29k trade-in value when it was worth at least 35k-36k prior to the accident. This really pisses me off because if the at-fault insurance company doesn't pay out my diminished value claim, I just took a 6-7k loss for no fault of my own. Oh well, such is life I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #24
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

You could take the offending driver to court. Just a suggestion. Also, I'm wondering if you can write off the diminished valve on your taxes.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #25
seedyrom
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M240i, X3 20i, 2002, 2002tii

Everyone replying about them being clear coated are wrong.

Sorry to tell you, but the guy that fixes cars for a living is actually correct.

This is my brand new car.
Hinges, boot area, etc are NOT done in a metallic clear coat.

It’s hard to see in the pictures. In real life it stands out like night and day.
I think this picture shows it best. You can see the hinge doesn’t have any sparkle. It’s just flat. The outside of the car can be seen with a beautiful dazzle.

So ... lucky you. There’s no problem. Have a nice day.

Last edited by seedyrom; 09-10-2017 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #26
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyrom View Post
Everyone replying about them being clear coated are wrong.

Sorry to tell you, but the guy that fixes cars for a living is actually correct.

This is my brand new car.
Hinges, boot area, etc are NOT done in a metallic clear coat.

It’s hard to see in the pictures. In real life it stands out like night and day.
I think this picture shows it best. You can see the hinge doesn’t have any sparkle. It’s just flat. The outside of the car can be seen with a beautiful dazzle.

So ... lucky you. There’s no problem. Have a nice day.
Shiny = clearcoat

You = Epic Fail

If you don't know what you are talking about please don't post BS. If the paint wasn't clear coated it would be flat not glossy. Just because there is no metallic in the jambs means nothing.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #27
seedyrom
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M240i, X3 20i, 2002, 2002tii

So what you are saying is the OP should complain then?

Because I dont
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #28
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

My rear lights are about the same, have some gap there. It's a shitty design. But my hinges are all painted to color match the car
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #29
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
You could take the offending driver to court. Just a suggestion. Also, I'm wondering if you can write off the diminished valve on your taxes.
I'm still trying to get a diminished value claim from the at-fault party but if that fails, I will pursue my own insurance and possibly the offending party if neither option works.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #30
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
Shiny = clearcoat

You = Epic Fail

If you don't know what you are talking about please don't post BS. If the paint wasn't clear coated it would be flat not glossy. Just because there is no metallic in the jambs means nothing.
I'm surprised that the paint doesn't match throughout. Oddly if you look at their cars in black, they do. Maybe it's something with the blue in this case?

thanks for posting your pics.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #31
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioholics View Post
The car handles and drives fine. The only remaining issue is intermittent pumping/metallic noise from the HVAC. How they introduced this by simply changing the condenser is beyond me. I've taken it
I get a pumping gurgling noise (not metallic sound) from my HVAC, intermittent.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 11:02 PM   #32
Audioholics
Private
Rep

My insurance adjustor validated the noise I am hearing and thinks there's something stuck in the air filter or the fan motor. This guy is a BMW nut so he's on my side and wants to get this resolved.

On the flip side, I was made an offer I almost can't refuse by the BMW dealer that fixed my car.

They want to put me in a brand new 18 M240i in any color combo I want for $18k OTD + my trade. That includes Navigation, Leather (which my 235i doesn't have) and LED lights (new feature for 18). I'd also have a backup cam which my car lacks and panic alarm.

Do you guys think the M240i is worth $18k over what I have? The fake leather has always bothered me on my M235i and I wonder if the real leather will be better quality in the M240i.

Also, how is the B58 engine in terms of reliability? I'm running a JB+ on my M235i and would probably do the same on the M240i if Burger has a tune for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #33
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
I'd be all over that, if it were me.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #34
onsafari
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
I'd be all over that, if it were me.
Agreed...take it and never look back.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #35
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

An additional $18K for nearly the same car is quite a lot, in my opinion, regardless of the minor upgrades you're getting. However, given the extensiveness of the damages incurred and the inability of your local shops to correctly address the problems, I'd say it may be worth it for you. Plus, you can't always place a value on the peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #36
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
An additional $18K for nearly the same car is quite a lot, in my opinion, regardless of the minor upgrades you're getting. However, given the extensiveness of the damages incurred and the inability of your local shops to correctly address the problems, I'd say it may be worth it for you. Plus, you can't always place a value on the peace of mind.
Yea it bothers me that I'm about to dump almost $20k on a similar car when I had a perfectly good car that was almost new prior. I really didn't budget for this. Sadly I'm also going to have to settle for a small Diminished Value claim because tge At-Fault Insurer only had $10k on coverage any my company is trying to recover their losses for it. Best case scenario is I walk away with $4-5k despite my car lost about $7k in value for no fault of my own.

The dealership is giving me a good deal but spending this kind of money on a depreciating asset makes me apprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #37
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Honestly, here are my thoughts on the "upgrades:"
-Navi- pretty useless since we all have smartphones
-Leather- I doubt will be much of an improvement given how cheap the M235i leathers were, but you're coming from cloth
-LED lights- fancy, but these can be purchased separately and coded, not to mention aftermarket options
-Backup cam- nice, but can also be added as an aftermarket or retrofitted
-Panic alarm- never used in my life

Not sure how much of the above is actually worth putting down any amount of money for you.

Like you said, a car is a depreciating asset and it loses too much of its value early on in its life. So, you'll have to consider the depreciation hit when it comes time for you to sell the M240i, not just the upfront $18K + taxes.

If your car lost $7K in value from this accident and you're able to walk away with $4-5K of that $7K, then the $2-3K loss might not be terrible, spread out across your ownership.
If you can't bear to live with it, maybe you're better off selling your car private after all is addressed (if not already).

I don't know the numbers you're seeing, but just my 2 cents. Either way, looks like a lose-lose situation -- sorry, man.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #38
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
-Leather- I doubt will be much of an improvement given how cheap the M235i leathers were, but you're coming from cloth
-LED lights- fancy, but these can be purchased separately and coded, not to mention aftermarket options

Not sure how much of the above is actually worth putting down any amount of money for you.

Like you said, a car is a depreciating asset and it loses too much of its value early on in its life. So, you'll have to consider the depreciation hit when it comes time for you to sell the M240i, not just the upfront $18K + taxes.

If your car lost $7K in value from this accident and you're able to walk away with $4-5K of that $7K, then the $2-3K loss might not be terrible, spread out across your ownership.
If you can't bear to live with it, maybe you're better off selling your car private after all is addressed (if not already).

I don't know the numbers you're seeing, but just my 2 cents. Either way, looks like a lose-lose situation -- sorry, man.
Yea understood and thanks.

The standard material on the seats is leatherette and it's pretty cheap looking. I was hoping the leather would be closer to what I had in my Lexus IS350F. I already have NAV in my M235i so I'd like to keep it if I go to the M240i but I hear you about Google maps. I guess I'm trying to get more features to justify the upgrade.

I deleted the Harman/Kardon system b/c it's pretty mediocre and I'm going to completely replace the stock system anyways with a custom solution I've been working on.

I'm really on the fence right now b/c it is a pretty good deal tbh. Selling privately would be difficult and I lose the tax break in doing so...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #39
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Quote:

The standard material on the seats is leatherette and it's pretty cheap looking. I was hoping the leather would be closer to what I had in my Lexus IS350F. I already have NAV in my M235i so I'd like to keep it if I go to the M240i but I hear you about Google maps. I guess I'm trying to get more features to justify the upgrade.

I deleted the Harman/Kardon system b/c it's pretty mediocre and I'm going to completely replace the stock system anyways with a custom solution I've been working on.

I'm really on the fence right now b/c it is a pretty good deal tbh. Selling privately would be difficult and I lose the tax break in doing so...
Do it. I get the sense that you are as anal as I am about my cars. You had an awful experience all around and you?ll be reminded of it every time you hear or feel something driving that doesn?t quite feel right.

I absolutely love my M235i but I did however get the chance to drive the M240i a few weeks back at a BMW event and let me tell you it felt pretty damn quick. If I were you I would do it and never look back. Plus you can get the exact car you want.

Let someone else deal with the headaches of living with a heavily repaired car long term.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #40
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'd take their offer - your car will never be the same, and nobody will really give you good money for it. That hood misalignment spells real trouble for how they put the front end back together, and you can see that anybody in the business can tell in 2 minutes how extensive the damage was.

Last edited by Maynard; 10-12-2017 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 1
Luv273.00
      10-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #41
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Quote:

What did you end up doing?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:35 AM   #42
Tano22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I'd take their offer - your car will never be the same, and nobody will really give you good money for it. That hood misalignment spells real trouble for how they put the front end back together, and you can see that anybody in the business can tell in 2 minutes how extensive the damage was.
agreed. Moreover, pyschologically it's just going to tarnish your experience with your current car knowing that it is flawed in that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #43
Bombermon3
Private First Class
Rep

take them to court.. that's horrible and I work at a shop
Appreciate 0