THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i Active Sound / Tachometer Sync

04-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
WWM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

M235i Active Sound / Tachometer Sync

I've noticed that the tachometer doesn't seem to be in sync with the piped in engine noise. At lower speeds the sound appears to be behind the actual engine revs. When I accelerate and the tachometer upshifts, the sound lags a second or two behind. I think the tachometer is accurate because it seems to be in sync with the engine as far as I can tell, which would mean the piped in noise is the issue. Is anyone else noticing this or is my car just problematic?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #2
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM
I've noticed that the tachometer doesn't seem to be in sync with the piped in engine noise. At lower speeds the sound appears to be behind the actual engine revs. When I accelerate and the tachometer upshifts, the sound lags a second or two behind. I think the tachometer is accurate because it seems to be in sync with the engine as far as I can tell, which would mean the piped in noise is the issue. Is anyone else noticing this or is my car just problematic?
Well, if the AS (active sound) is delayed then you should hear doubled engine sound as the AS is only enhancing the engine noise. I think some of us are way overreacting to the AS. Is not fake is the actual engine sound but some of that sound is coming into the speakers

Maybe smoke some weed and listen again lol...that would enhance our hearing
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Well, if the AS (active sound) is delayed then you should hear doubled engine sound as the AS is only enhancing the engine noise. I think some of us are way overreacting to the AS. Is not fake is the actual engine sound but some of that sound is coming into the speakers

Maybe smoke some weed and listen again lol...that would enhance our hearing
I believe that to be incorrect. I believe it is 100% fake noise being piped through the speakers (granted it's a glorious noise though). There's even videos on youtube of people changing the .wav files to mimic other sounds, some people have ferrari engine noises coded into the active sound system so their car sounds like a ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
mrcheezle19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccappa View Post
I believe that to be incorrect. I believe it is 100% fake noise being piped through the speakers (granted it's a glorious noise though). There's even videos on youtube of people changing the .wav files to mimic other sounds, some people have ferrari engine noises coded into the active sound system so their car sounds like a ferrari.

If that's the case I'd have the sound of girl moaning everytime when I hit redline.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Areutalkingtome
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
If that's the case I'd have the sound of girl moaning everytime when I hit redline.
Appreciate 0