THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Can Anti-Dazzle be added by code on my order (230xi convt)

03-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Can Anti-Dazzle be added by code on my order (230xi convt)

I was watching Youtube videos on BMW and found a video of BMW's Intelligent headlights. Based on what I could find here and around the web, the code is turned off on US vehicles. I'd like to have it turned on, but I understand I my vehicles needs some specific options to be eligible.

Here's my parts of my order..

230i Xdrive Convertible:

Lighting Package - Xenon headlights and adaptive light control
Premium Package - which includes the auto dimming rear and side view mirrors.
Driver Asst + - includes Automatic High beams

My question is.... are these the options I need to get the anti-dazzle headlights activated? I keep reading, one needs High Beam Assist (HBA), but I can't tell if that's the same as the Auto High beams.. I just want to make sure I have the options I need for Anti-Dazzle..

Thanks all!
      03-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #2
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Should be able to. You will have to remove the 'decoding anti dazzle' option and VO code the appropriate modules. There is a thread on this in the coding section. I coded this on my F10, but don't have driver assistance plus on my F23 so no camera.

You might also want to code the variable light distribution while you are at it.
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      03-12-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
Should be able to. You will have to remove the 'decoding anti dazzle' option and VO code the appropriate modules. There is a thread on this in the coding section. I coded this on my F10, but don't have driver assistance plus on my F23 so no camera.

You might also want to code the variable light distribution while you are at it.
Thanks!!!
      03-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

An interesting aside related to this:

I'd have jumped on the Carly bandwagon by now if it wasn't for one thing: AFAIK, turning on the Variable Light Distribution is not possible. Though I haven't asked, I think this is the reason why: Carly is developed in Germany, where VLD is standard (as is the case throughout the EU). Why would anyone in the EU want to code something like that off?

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Anti-dazzle can be recoded, but apparently the US xenon light housing is not the same as the European version. So if you recode anti-dazzle it won't work properly. This has been discussed over and over in the coding thread. Some people have even ordered the euro version and had them shipped over.
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      03-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Anti-dazzle can be recoded, but apparently the US xenon light housing is not the same as the European version. So if you recode anti-dazzle it won't work properly. This has been discussed over and over in the coding thread. Some people have even ordered the euro version and had them shipped over.
Really? I haven't seen any posts to say with the proper available US options, they're not the same.

As far as I saw, as long as we had the camera and headlights that could swivel a bit, it would work.

Are you sure you're not talking about the halogen headlights? Everything I've read so far says they work correctly with the HID and LED lights... again as long as the car has the other options needed like the camera.
      03-13-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

i'm pretty sure the anti-dazzle only applies to LED lights which we dont have.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Alps is right....

You need the european headlight that has like a flapper thing that will block the light and create the tunnel effect...

If you try to do it with the US headlight it will kind of work but you will probably dazzle the guy in front of you as the lights might move a bit to the sides to try to create the tunnel but the main flapper that blocks the light to the car in front won't be there...

This also works with the LED lights as in this case the headlights turns off the individual leds like if they were covered by the flapper but because the LED version has probably like 100 individual LEDS you can simulate the flapper by just not turning individual LEDS on.... but you don't need LED headlights for this to work... it works with Xenon as long as you have the flapper
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
crabu2
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Alps is right....

You need the european headlight that has like a flapper thing that will block the light and create the tunnel effect...

If you try to do it with the US headlight it will kind of work but you will probably dazzle the guy in front of you as the lights might move a bit to the sides to try to create the tunnel but the main flapper that blocks the light to the car in front won't be there...

This also works with the LED lights as in this case the headlights turns off the individual leds like if they were covered by the flapper but because the LED version has probably like 100 individual LEDS you can simulate the flapper by just not turning individual LEDS on.... but you don't need LED headlights for this to work... it works with Xenon as long as you have the flapper
WTH? How do they just remove the flapper for export?

If we get the Euro lights shipped will they work as advertise? Got any idea how much they might be?

I'm still going to give it a shot... With or without the flapper.
      03-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #10
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I'd just say that the full capability is worth the effort of trying to get installed if you do any amount of cross-country driving in the dark. I wasn't convinced when I ordered it but it really is magic. I have the Xenons (not LEDs).

Firstly, even if there's a lot of oncoming traffic, it keeps the high beam on the driver's side, illuminating the kerb/ditch/hedge. When it's dark with no street lighting and especially on a curvy road, this is great, especially in bad weather. Our second car doesn't have this and it's like driving with the headlights off in comparison. If there's a car in front, it'll still keep the high beam on the driver's side, but box-out the car i.e. you just get high beam thrown out to the right (US) of the car ahead.

Second, with no oncoming traffic and a car in front, it really does 'box' the car in front both up/down and right/left as it tracks the tail lights. Again, once you get used to this, in a conventional car, it really is like not having headlights on at all.

The first caveat is that your perception will probably be that it doesn't seem to react that fast in terms of dipping the full beam for oncoming traffic. I think this is more apparent than real - it dips them about as fast a you would but like autos vs manuals, doing it manually takes time, whereas on auto-dazzle your'e waiting for it to happen.

Second, this is all great tech, but if your driving is mainly in the light, or on well-lit roads at night, then yes, it's nice, but not life-changing.

Finally, my personal observation is that you do have to go to a bit more effort to keep the windscreen clean: the cameras are on the border of the wiper's coverage. A few times, I've had to clean the screen before they'll work as quickly as I want.

Last edited by msej449; 03-14-2017 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post
WTH? How do they just remove the flapper for export?

If we get the Euro lights shipped will they work as advertise? Got any idea how much they might be?

I'm still going to give it a shot... With or without the flapper.
It's not that they remove the flapper.... it's that there are 2 versions of the headlight....

probably doesn't make sense to ship the more expensive headlight with the flapper if it has to be disabled because of DOT so they are probably saving $400 by not including hardware that can't be used...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #12
crabu2
Captain
Rep

If I took Euro delivery, would I get the headlights with the flappers?
      03-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #13
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
If I took Euro delivery, would I get the headlights with the flappers?
no
Appreciate 0