THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum cabrio (or sunroof) with auto rain sensing closing?

08-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

cabrio (or sunroof) with auto rain sensing closing?

During lengthy periods of nice weather, I rarely put the top up.
Unless it's raining or forecast to rain, the top remains down even when parking for shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc.
Weather forecasts in our area are generally fairly accurate and so I generally don't get worried about unexpected downpours.
Today the weather was sunny with a few clouds, so when we went for lunch I was going to keep the top up as usual, but I did see one dark cloud on the horizon and because it was humid, something told me that there could be a risk of a passing shower, so I put the roof up.
While we were gone there had been a torrential downpour, so had I not spotted that dark cloud and put the top up, I would have had a bit of a sticky situation.

So my question is - how difficult would it be for BMW to code the rain sensor to remain active while the ignition is off and should it sense rain and the top or sunroof is open, then auto close the close the top - and make that an owner activated option?

In 2006 someone described and applied for a patent describing the process and elements of the system (US20080106116 A1). (see url below)

The 2er cabrio and coupe already have all the elements and electronics required to perform the auto closure, so one has to question whether this is something that could only be done as part of the design/production process or is it something that could be coded post-production by the dealer or even owner initiated?

I gotta figure I'm not the only one who would like this..

http://www.google.com/patents/US20080106116
      08-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
During lengthy periods of nice weather, I rarely put the top up.
Unless it's raining or forecast to rain, the top remains down even when parking for shopping, entertainment, restaurants, etc.
Weather forecasts in our area are generally fairly accurate and so I generally don't get worried about unexpected downpours.
Today the weather was sunny with a few clouds, so when we went for lunch I was going to keep the top up as usual, but I did see one dark cloud on the horizon and because it was humid, something told me that there could be a risk of a passing shower, so I put the roof up.
While we were gone there had been a torrential downpour, so had I not spotted that dark cloud and put the top up, I would have had a bit of a sticky situation.

So my question is - how difficult would it be for BMW to code the rain sensor to remain active while the ignition is off and should it sense rain and the top or sunroof is open, then auto close the close the top - and make that an owner activated option?

In 2006 someone described and applied for a patent describing the process and elements of the system (US20080106116 A1). (see url below)

The 2er cabrio and coupe already have all the elements and electronics required to perform the auto closure, so one has to question whether this is something that could only be done as part of the design/production process or is it something that could be coded post-production by the dealer or even owner initiated?

I gotta figure I'm not the only one who would like this..

http://www.google.com/patents/US20080106116
Playing devil's advocate here ... but the system would need to have a speed sensor. Not sure about the 2 Series, but most 'verts don't allow you to raise/lower the top above a certain speed ... and what happens if you slow down below that speed and the top begins to close, and 10 seconds later you exceed that speed again (the average time for a 'vert's top to fold closed is 30-40 seconds, I think)?

I'm betting this problem is the biggest reason why such a system hasn't been fitted to a production car.

[EDIT] Of course, now that I read the entire post :: d'oh! :: ... to wit: is there a car that has this function on the power windows? I can't think of one ... and I'm willing to bet it's a safety issue. What keeps the car from chewing up a fascinated passing kid's finger in your absence if the top goes up because of a rain sensor?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
BoomWasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Playing devil's advocate here ... but the system would need to have a speed sensor. Not sure about the 2 Series, but most 'verts don't allow you to raise/lower the top above a certain speed ...
But it already has a speed sensor called speedometer. ;-)
And the system uses it to auto-unfold mirrors, turn off backup camera, or disable message reading while driving.

There is even a code in HU_NBT (REGEN_SCHLIESSEN) with following description: "Automatically close windows and sunroof when rain detected". But it doesn't work on F22.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
BoomWasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Video of a frigging Octavia(!) with rain closing feature.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #5
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Going to go with this being impossible with the car in stock form. The auto close sunroof/windows coding is a feature that was designed way back when the car is ON, IE you're driving and it starts to rain so it will close the sunroof automatically.

The circuitry is not going to be designed to be getting power when you need it. If you have a friend who is handy with a soldering iron and a micro controller, I suspect you could do this using a donor keyfob, an Arduino and the smart top mod.

The Smart top mod will allow you to auto close the top when the car is off. The Arduino could be wired to take a rain sensor like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...s-Rain-Sensor/

And upon detecting rain, automatically send two signals to the keyfob "lock" circuit which would close the top.

You'd just have to build the sensor into something like the rear cupholder so it has exposure to the sky, and you'd also have to account for the fact that a sudden down pour might still soak your car even as the top is closing on it.

The disclaimer would be you would need to figure out how to allow the keyfob radio to unlock the car BUT disconnect or destroy the circuitry that would allow them to actually just start your car like you had left a key in there. If you're not worried about your car (with the top down) being easily stolen then go for it.
      08-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Going to go with this being impossible with the car in stock form. The auto close sunroof/windows coding is a feature that was designed way back when the car is ON, IE you're driving and it starts to rain so it will close the sunroof automatically.

The circuitry is not going to be designed to be getting power when you need it. If you have a friend who is handy with a soldering iron and a micro controller, I suspect you could do this using a donor keyfob, an Arduino and the smart top mod.

The Smart top mod will allow you to auto close the top when the car is off. The Arduino could be wired to take a rain sensor like this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...s-Rain-Sensor/

And upon detecting rain, automatically send two signals to the keyfob "lock" circuit which would close the top.

You'd just have to build the sensor into something like the rear cupholder so it has exposure to the sky, and you'd also have to account for the fact that a sudden down pour might still soak your car even as the top is closing on it.

The disclaimer would be you would need to figure out how to allow the keyfob radio to unlock the car BUT disconnect or destroy the circuitry that would allow them to actually just start your car like you had left a key in there. If you're not worried about your car (with the top down) being easily stolen then go for it.
The car with the top up is only slightly harder to steal then when the top is down. Windows are too easy to break with the proper tools.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Anyone who would want this feature better not complain about electronic nannies taking away their control of the car.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      08-02-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
The car with the top up is only slightly harder to steal then when the top is down. Windows are too easy to break with the proper tools.
I'm referring to the fact that my suggestion means you would have to leave the key (or some part of it) in the car itself. Which means you don't need to hotwire or have any intelligence about using the OBD port to steal the car, you simply need to pull out the little black box I just designed and move it to the drivers seat and drive off.

Now I'd expect in real life, the antenna which gets used for the comfort access could be detached/destroyed and you'd be OK, but that would mean taking 1 of your 2 keys and sacrificing it, or spending the money on a new key + smart top + electronics which all in probably makes this a $1000 hack job vs just putting the top up which takes 20 seconds.

I hate leaving the top down - you invite any prick who doesn't like your car to spit in it, birds to crap in it, leather to start boiling in the heat and fading the leather and plastics under the direct UV exposure.

It's all fun and games till you realize your leather has been bleached by a bird dookie that's been baked in the sun. If you're like me just get used to putting the top up while moving. I coast into my driveway/parking spot with the top already moving so I don't have to worry about waiting that extra 20 seconds.
      08-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #9
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:

I hate leaving the top down - you invite any prick who doesn't like your car to spit in it, birds to crap in it,
I would never "invite any prick" who doesn't like my car "to spit in it" - is that something unique to American car culture?
      08-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #10
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
I would never "invite any prick" who doesn't like my car "to spit in it" - is that something unique to American car culture?
In 26 years,I have never had a bird spot the inside of the car. I have however,had it rained on. These seats don't seem to get as hot. That's why I think it's dumb that I can put the windows up20 ft away,but not the top. Since the feature is there.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #11
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
In 26 years,I have never had a bird spot the inside of the car. I have however,had it rained on. These seats don't seem to get as hot. That's why I think it's dumb that I can put the windows up20 ft away,but not the top. Since the feature is there.
Buy the smart top mod, end of story. Will let you put the top up while driving or from far away. Just not autonomously.
      08-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #12
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Buy the smart top mod, end of story. Will let you put the top up while driving or from far away. Just not autonomously.
I thought about it with my Volvo. Since I couldn't put the top up while moving. Afraid of the warranty problems. Now I can put the top up while moving. Still afraid of the warranty. Plus I won't personally touch the electrical. I've read all about it. I know it can be removed. All that stuff. Still afraid.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #13
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I thought about it with my Volvo. Since I couldn't put the top up while moving. Afraid of the warranty problems. Now I can put the top up while moving. Still afraid of the warranty. Plus I won't personally touch the electrical. I've read all about it. I know it can be removed. All that stuff. Still afraid.
Generally unfounded fears, unless you damaged the wiring harness while installing it yourself it's a very simple piece of electronics. Unlike an engine piggy back which is pushing mechanical components past their design limits, all the smart top is doing is allowing you to do the exact same thing the factory remote will do, but from a further distance.

If you try to put the top up while at 60mph, and then take it in for a repair after the top rips off, that's another story.
      08-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #14
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
all the smart top is doing is allowing you to do the exact same thing the factory remote will do, but from a further distance.
Well, it's waaaay more than that. I got one 4 years ago for our 135i. There are so many convenience features besides distance you would never get me to give it up. One example, pull in to a parking space, pull the "top up" switch once and let it go, shut the engine off, get out of the car , lock the doors, open the trunk to get your stuff out, and walk away. The top will continue to go up, and roll the windows up through the whole process. No more pulling and holding the switch waiting for the top to go up before anyone do anything else.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #15
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Well, it's waaaay more than that. I got one 4 years ago for our 135i. There are so many convenience features besides distance you would never get me to give it up. One example, pull in to a parking space, pull the "top up" switch once and let it go, shut the engine off, get out of the car , lock the doors, open the trunk to get your stuff out, and walk away. The top will continue to go up, and roll the windows up through the whole process. No more pulling and holding the switch waiting for the top to go up before anyone do anything else.
Sorry I meant that comment more from a technical perspective, not from a feature/convenience perspective.

It's not "Supercharging" the top motor to make the top go up in 10 seconds instead of 22, or something else that would lead to a premature failure of a component that would cause a warranty claim.