THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Disable both DSC/DTC? Am I going crazy?

07-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #45
th1rd3y3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Can we get back on topic please?
Agreed.

Anyone else notice the TPMS/DSC interaction? I'm wondering if simply not shutting off my car between runs is what caused the TPMS to freak out.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #46
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
It losses a bit of throttle iirc.
gonna try the long press whilst in sports + to check.

assume there's no new "news" on this?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #47
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
well it should be easy to tell if the throttle is changed or not....

Just do the test maintaining constant throttle on the pedal while doing the setting change....

If you are driving at constant throttle and from comfort you go to sport you can see the car accelerates by itself as sport has a different thorttle mapping...

I would expect that if you are in sport + then and push and hold the DSC button then the car would decelerate if throttle mapping is like comfort or stay the same if it's still in sport mode
throttle mapping definitely reverts to comfort.

tested while driving in sport+ and long pressed dsc/dtc with throttle held - car definitely slowed to comfort throttle.

settled IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:11 AM   #48
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #49
williewonkerz
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
just as a reference:

notice how "for a drag race" *both* the M3 and Macan had dampers is SOFTEST setting.

Maybe thats the point, Sport+ with a single "short" push to DSC is "Track Mode". Holding longer is more like the "drag mode" they engage in the video.

Last edited by williewonkerz; 08-21-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #50
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer
Read your owners manual, it's there for reason. Just like the smart 17 yr old that had been playing flight simulator all his life. When he got the chance to jump in to a real plane, trying to steal it, (the key was in it), he had no idea what he was doing and only got the plane started, no brakes or parking brake on, and crashed in to other parked planes at 10 mph. Propeller damage, engine damage and wing damage added up to 170k for both airplanes involved. Try a full motion level 5 Class D airliner simulator if you can find a pilot to take you, the kid was told. He replied, no thanks. I'll stick to the sims. LoL...

We have checklists and operating hand books (POH) for a reason. They must be looked at and used on each flight no matter what. My life and lives of the passengers depend on it. It's the airlines that keep Regional pilots from being paid what they're worth.
What was that lecture for?
Everyone in this thread is an experienced track driver who wants to be able to disable the nannies fully while maintaining the suspension and throttle in sport setting.

Go preach safety to kids else where.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #51
timsev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Alright, so I took the 2er to it's second track outing yesterday and I've come to realize what many of you already know. I cannot totally disable DSC and still keep the suspension in Sport. I don't care about throttle, that's stupid anyway. But I do want my Sport Suspension setting along with totally disabling DSC.

I tried every combination and every different setting and I cannot get it set right. I want to be able to thottle steer or drift with zero interference, as well as stiffen up the dampers. Otherwise, there is no point to adjustable dampers.

I chose to drive with softer dampers and no DSC. Having mechanical interference while trailbraking or throttle steering is dangerous, so I can deal with soft dampers. I'd like to utilize both. I hope someone finds a solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 12:54 PM   #52
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

When you hold the DSC button the iDrive screen shows sports oriented chasis... and the steering is like in sport mode... i haven't been able to test if there is any difference in damper feeling...

So did some testing today and this is what i found

DSC off - Active sound: on
Throttle response: slow
Steering heavy
Dampers: not sure

Sport mode - Active sound: on
Throttle response: fast
Steering: heavy
Dampers: hard

is interesting that you get active sound with DSC off and slow throttle response, as when you go to sport from comfort both throttle and sound kick in
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:15 PM   #53
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

The same things happen in my 335i Msport regarding DSC.
Sport+ mode is everything in it's sportiest mode, but, with DTC on.
DTC is 'dynamic traction control', which allows some rear tire power slip along with more rear sway angle, but only up to a point. How far? I don't know as I haven't taken it to a track and don't want to try the limits on the road.

When in sport+ mode if I hold down the DSC button DSC shows "off" but then all other settings are no longer in sport+ mode, nor in sport mode.
I have the M adaptive suspension so when in sport+ mode all is well, but if I try to disable DSC completely the suspension reverts back to normal mode.

So, yes, you can disable DSC completely, but it seems you can not have all of the sport settings along with DSC off.
If this is a glitch in my software I'd be very interested to know how to get my dealer to correct it.

Maybe this is a BMW safety protocol, but it seems really silly if it is.
If DSC can be completely off and all other controls are then set to normal/comfort mode the car can still be drive into drifting. However, you now have a less responsive suspension that is softer. Is that really safer?
And why is a slower responding throttle any safer than one the reacts quicker to driver input? On a track I would want the sharpest throttle response, best suspension setting, and let me do the controlling if I want DSC off completely.

Truth be told, sport+ with DTC activated is fine for me for street driving as I can still have fun and there is still a safety net if I overcook a turn or something slippery is on the road. But other cars get a negative for not being able to completely turn their traction and stability controls off, yet I never read this about a BMW.
Again, yes you can turn DSC off, but only under certain conditions with certain control settings also set. In reality you can't have the cars controls set to optimal AND turn DSC off.
Maybe we should write to C&D and R&T and ask them to take a look at this and see what they come up with?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #54
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Question:
What is "active sound"?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 11:58 PM   #55
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

in my case with DSC off the steering (and i guess suspension is set together) still stays in sport mode and it even says so in the idrive screen when you switch DSC off... you do lose the sharper throttle mapping though

Active sound is the enhanced engine sound that is played through the speakers when in sport mode... do this with the car parked accelerate to 2000 rpm and go from comfort to sport and vice versa, you will hear the difference right away
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #56
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
in my case with DSC off the steering (and i guess suspension is set together) still stays in sport mode and it even says so in the idrive screen when you switch DSC off... you do lose the sharper throttle mapping though

Active sound is the enhanced engine sound that is played through the speakers when in sport mode... do this with the car parked accelerate to 2000 rpm and go from comfort to sport and vice versa, you will hear the difference right away
I tried some configs today and sure enough if I engage DSC off the M adaptive suspension goes to comfort, trans goes to comfort, and everything else, yet the screen says something like "sport mode".
But it's not.
So it's not all as it seems...or...there is something flaky in the software.

To test it I engaged Sport+ and everything is as it should be, basically it's sport mode with DTC activated.
So I'm at about 70mph. I press and hold the DSC button, DSC deactivates, screen shows something about being in sport mode, BUT, the trans goes into comfort mode as 7th and 8th gear are selected.
In sport or sport+ you only get 7 gears and 7th comes in later around 60mph, depending on acceleration of steady state.

Then I tried sport mode with chassis and drive train all set to sport mode.
Going about 70mph it's in 7th gear.
Deactivate DSC and trans shifts to 8th.
On a safe road I did some quick left to right transitions.
The suspension definitely went out of sport mode and into the softer comfort mode with noticeably more sway.

When I was in sport mode and deactivated DSC the screen popped up to show that DSC was deactivated and that the car was is some "sport" setting, and I thought AHA! But no. It tried to fool me.

I'll bring it up with my dealers shop and have them take a look.
Either there is something wrong or BMW needs to be MUCH clearer as to what really happens with DSC gets turned off.

All in all though I find sport+ to be a great setting for spirited driving.
I can launch my car with a powerful accel, even though I don't have LC, and it allows the rear to slide to a safe angle for non track driving.
Plus having that last safety net for stupid mistakes or slippery roads is nice to have on the street.
For track use I can see drivers getting PO'd if they can't set things the way they want to especially since BMW says DSC can be deactivated but not all sport settings get retained when it's off.

I can see if there is a difference between the 2 and 3 series, but from what others have said that doesn't appear to be the case.
I'll do some country road driving in the next couple of days on roads with no traffic and see if I notice something different.

Active sound is not what I thought it would be coming from BMW.
I was hoping it had something to do with opening up some valve in the exhaust to let out more sound, but it seems they've gone to some techno trickery.
I'd prefer something in the exhaust or even an active valve that opens a port to the engine from the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #57
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Why don't you have launch control ?

Also supposedly in dsc off, only chassis is set to sport so transmission will always be in D instead of DS although you can put the lever to the left and have dsc off with DS
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #58
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

I always thought it was YOYO MF...
      08-31-2014, 12:53 AM   #59
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

What you guys are discussing here ad nauseum, I discovered in the first week of owning m F10. Long press on DSC (==all nannies off) inevitably reverts the car to normal mode (in my case soft dumpers and steering, as well as throttle response). Judging from the fact it's the same in 5, 3 and 2 series, and in each individual vehicle - I don't think it's a software bug or anything like that; BMW decided silently for us and disabled sport settings with DSC off.

What would be interesting is ask some reviewers like Chris Harris why they never mentioned it in their track drifting movies... Perhaps there is some hidden code to disable DSC and still stay in Sport mode, after all?

Has anyone tried it in an M car?
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #60
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Not sure dsc makes steering softer though.

If you are in comfort and turn dsc off you can feel steering gets heavier. Now if it's as heavy as in sport mode, in not sure

Should test sport to dsc off a couple of times and back to check
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #61
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

In my F10, whichever mode I was in (Sport, sport+) - long press to disable DSC turns its warning light (and some yellow warning if I'm not mistaken) on, while at the same time switching the informative white mode indicator (Sport or Sport+) off, which means *everything* gets back to normal mode. And it feels - some things very obvious (mainly throttle and dumbers becoming "softer"), some not so obvious (steering) - but I'm sure it reverts to normal (i.e. Comfort) as well. I don't care about throttle, but using the car w/o DSC makes sense with dumpers and steering as stiff as only possible, so the described behavior is simply counterproductive and silly...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #62
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad
In my F10, whichever mode I was in (Sport, sport+) - long press to disable DSC turns its warning light (and some yellow warning if I'm not mistaken) on, while at the same time switching the informative white mode indicator (Sport or Sport+) off, which means *everything* gets back to normal mode. And it feels - some things very obvious (mainly throttle and dumbers becoming "softer"), some not so obvious (steering) - but I'm sure it reverts to normal (i.e. Comfort) as well. I don't care about throttle, but using the car w/o DSC makes sense with dumpers and steering as stiff as only possible, so the described behavior is simply counterproductive and silly...
What does your iDrive screen say when you switch dsc off?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 02:10 PM   #63
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Nothing - only the center (below the clocks) display goes off (from Sport or Sport+), which indicates Normal mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #64
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad
Nothing - only the center (below the clocks) display goes off (from Sport or Sport+), which indicates Normal mode.
I think if you go to settings - configure sport. There is a drive mode check box if you have it on you can see a detailed description on the idrive when you switch modes
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #65
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

This.

So chassis should be in sport mode
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #66
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Firstly, there can be some differences between F22 and F10.
Secondly, the screen above (showing for several seconds each time you change the mode) can be activated or deactivated in iDrive; of course I have it permanently off as my driving is not about watching pretty pictures (the same each time I go into a given mode); suppose I'm actively using navigation - such a picture can obscure the map for too long - with my usual speeds may mean a lot of extra miles if I miss my exit.

So, I have set my iDrive to never show the graphics, I only rely on the same information (albeit text only) in the extended functionality dashboard.

But most importantly, the graphics lies: yes - DSC is off; yes - it's *supposed* to be sport-oriented driving mode - but *NO* - chassis settings are Normal=Comfort.

Last edited by moldcad; 08-31-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0