THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Have you regret your transmission choice?

View Poll Results: Have you regret your transmission choice?
I went for the M/T and don't regret it 141 43.38%
I went for the M/T and regret it 7 2.15%
I went for the ZF8 and don't regret it 157 48.31%
I went for the ZF8 and regret it 20 6.15%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

11-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #89
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

I haven't read anyone of the "regretees" explaining why they regret their choice...that would be very interesting to read about!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #90
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I opted for the ZF8 with this purchase and really miss rowing the gears now. My E92 M3 gearbox was pretty bad compared to other cars I have driven which led me to try out something new. The ZF8 is fantastic and by reading all of the responses here clearly you can't go wrong with either. That being said... anyone want to trade their MT for an AT?
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #91
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfutures View Post
That being said... anyone want to trade their MT for an AT?
OK.....+$45,000 cash!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #92
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i X-Drive M-Sport w/THP

I didn't have a choice, had to go with the ZF8 on my X-Drive, almost didn't go with the BMW but the paddle shifters and engine were enough of an improvement on fun factor over my 2005 GTI 1.8T with MT. I will miss the MT though. Why can Subaru offer AWD and MT but the makers of the ultimate driving machine can't? By the by I test drove a 2014 228i with steptronic and was disgusted...walked away from BMW with no intention of coming back until I read that the sport automatic with sport paddles was a different animal. I came back and was much more impressed. Ideally I'd go MT but for my purposes (daily driver that can handle Michigan all year round no questions asked due to my job) it's what I need. My second car will be a 2002 M Coupe. Fun factor, reattained.

Last edited by rhinothatflies; 11-05-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 06:26 AM   #93
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinothatflies View Post
I didn't have a choice, had to go with the ZF8 on my X-Drive, almost didn't go with the BMW but the paddle shifters and engine were enough of an improvement on fun factor over my 2005 GTI 1.8T with MT. I will miss the MT though. Why can Subaru offer AWD and MT but the makers of the ultimate driving machine can't? By the by I test drove a 2014 228i with steptronic and was disgusted...walked away from BMW with no intention of coming back until I read that the sport automatic with sport paddles was a different animal. I came back and was much more impressed. Ideally I'd go MT but for my purposes (daily driver that can handle Michigan all year round no questions asked due to my job) it's what I need. My second car will be a 2002 M Coupe. Fun factor, reattained.
You're the third Michigander on the forum! We'll keep an eye out for you. What part of the state are you in? I'm in Oakland county and still haven't seen another 2 on the road since August ...even an automatic one!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #94
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

I expected the auto to be the most popular choice, but it doesn't seem to be. There are few regretted ones but still the auto turn a higher percentage of regrets
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #95
Bohemoth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Had an A/T and after about 2 years with it (in my 325d coupe) felt like I had forgotten how to drive properly. Got my M235i with the manual and I'm soooo glad I did!!!! Autos are convenient in traffic but its not driving imo.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #96
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You're the third Michigander on the forum! We'll keep an eye out for you. What part of the state are you in? I'm in Oakland county and still haven't seen another 2 on the road since August ...even an automatic one!
Heyya! I'm living in Ann Arbor, just moved here from Southfield. Work in the Jackson area. You'll see me around I'm sure. I take delivery of my Dark Grey Two in the end of November . Would like to add a few glossy black bits here and there. How do you find the RWD in the winter?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #97
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Heyya! I'm living in Ann Arbor, just moved here from Southfield. Work in the Jackson area. You'll see me around I'm sure. I take delivery of my Dark Grey Two in the end of November . Would like to add a few glossy black bits here and there. How do you find the RWD in the winter?
I'm closer to Southfield than A2, although I pass through to some clients and for Zingermans!

I've had both awd and rwd, changing cars annually or more often for about 25 years when working for a domestic. These included high performance rear wheel drive cars to SUVs with AWD. Because of the nature of company car programs, I could not change the tires. I got through better on some than others, but a powerful V8 with rear wheel drive on all seasons was quite dicey. Glad I never needed to quickly brake or turn to avoid an impact.

Then, I retired very early and bought a 2009 MB C Class....rear wheel drive with 6MT. It came with ContiProContacts, possibly the worst tires I had encountered. The car was essentially undriveable in winter. I couldn't get up my driveway incline on a couple of days to reach the garage and had to park in the driveway. So, I put on some Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 tires and it was transformational (Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ the other three seasons - also excellent!). The car went through anything and stopped and turned very well. When I bought the C, I also got my wife an E350 4MATIC, so I was able to see the difference (albeit different weight cars) from rwd to awd over a variety of conditions for the last six years. I also put Blizzaks on her car for winter, as we all know that tires are the key to winter success! The difference between the cars was surprisingly small. The E sometimes can get going from a standstill a bit more easily, but once underway, the differences evaporated. Based on that experience, and my personal preference for rwd, when I ordered the 2, I stayed with 6MT/rwd. My new Blizzak WS80 on their own wheels are at the approved local tirerack.com installer (MotorWerks in Commerce), waiting for me to give in to the impending winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #98
Piper666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 218D (sold) 2015 M235i

I have the 6MT-- typical BMW fashion though with regards to the Clutch Delay Valve.. swapped it out - now perfect
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #99
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper666 View Post
I have the 6MT-- typical BMW fashion though with regards to the Clutch Delay Valve.. swapped it out - now perfect
That's interesting. I thought I read the 2 no longer had a separate CDV. Would you please be able to share the new part number? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #100
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I'm closer to Southfield than A2, although I pass through to some clients and for Zingermans!

I've had both awd and rwd, changing cars annually or more often for about 25 years when working for a domestic. These included high performance rear wheel drive cars to SUVs with AWD. Because of the nature of company car programs, I could not change the tires. I got through better on some than others, but a powerful V8 with rear wheel drive on all seasons was quite dicey. Glad I never needed to quickly brake or turn to avoid an impact.

Then, I retired very early and bought a 2009 MB C Class....rear wheel drive with 6MT. It came with ContiProContacts, possibly the worst tires I had encountered. The car was essentially undriveable in winter. I couldn't get up my driveway incline on a couple of days to reach the garage and had to park in the driveway. So, I put on some Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 tires and it was transformational (Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ the other three seasons - also excellent!). The car went through anything and stopped and turned very well. When I bought the C, I also got my wife an E350 4MATIC, so I was able to see the difference (albeit different weight cars) from rwd to awd over a variety of conditions for the last six years. I also put Blizzaks on her car for winter, as we all know that tires are the key to winter success! The difference between the cars was surprisingly small. The E sometimes can get going from a standstill a bit more easily, but once underway, the differences evaporated. Based on that experience, and my personal preference for rwd, when I ordered the 2, I stayed with 6MT/rwd. My new Blizzak WS80 on their own wheels are at the approved local tirerack.com installer (MotorWerks in Commerce), waiting for me to give in to the impending winter.
GAH! You're killing me man. I wanted the 6MT so bad but for the work I do, I feel like I need the insurance of the AWD. I'm planning on sticking Blizzaks on it as well. I'm originally from California and have lived through six east coast winters. People have been telling me that driving RWD in inclement cold weather takes a certain skill level that comes with being raised here. I'm not sure how true that is. I consider myself better than the average driver and pick up things pretty quick but I *did* get a little spooked. I've rarely driven RWD and don't consider myself a 'purist' but I enjoy driving and my GTI 1.8T FWD/5MT put a lot of smiles on my face. I don't push my cars to the point where the FWD/RWD difference is obvious all the time. Basically I'm hoping to tap into your wisdom to slap me slap me silly and tell me to GET THE MANUAL .

By the way. What are the weight differences fr the ZF8 and the 6MT?

Last edited by rhinothatflies; 11-06-2014 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #101
Jeff231
M235i
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

I have the zf8 and I think I miss driving a manual 49% of the time. Personally, both are fun when pushing it, but what I miss most is the manual is fun just driving normally minus freeway traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #102
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
GAH! You're killing me man. I wanted the 6MT so bad but for the work I do, I feel like I need the insurance of the AWD. I'm planning on sticking Blizzaks on it as well. I'm originally from California and have lived through six east coast winters. People have been telling me that driving RWD in inclement cold weather takes a certain skill level that comes with being raised here. I'm not sure how true that is. I consider myself better than the average driver and pick up things pretty quick but I *did* get a little spooked. I've rarely driven RWD and don't consider myself a 'purist' but I enjoy driving and my GTI 1.8T FWD/5MT put a lot of smiles on my face. I don't push my cars to the point where the FWD/RWD difference is obvious all the time. Basically I'm hoping to tap into your wisdom to slap me slap me silly and tell me to GET THE MANUAL .

By the way. What are the weight differences fr the ZF8 and the 6MT?
So sorry....did not mean to cause distress, especially to a neighbor! It does seem you already are committed with a delivery date so close at hand. But, here are just facts and you can decide your course of action.

I grew up in New York City, where Sanitation Dept. trucks quickly turned into snowplows, so not much challenge with my youthful winter driving days there. My folks had a 1969 Impala and 1969 Firebird when I turned 17 in 1971 and they were both rwd and did not have snow tires, so I had a different learning experience, but not that difficult. But, keep in mind generations of folks in the US and Europe who got around for decades on rwd and winter tires before the advent of awd in passenger cars.

Today's traction control goes a long way to providing lateral stability when on a slippery surface. Cars don't slide slideways on acceleration as in years past. Traction control also provides forward motion assistance by braking an individual wheel at incipient wheelspin to assist with gaining traction. And, new generations of winter tires, such as the new Blizzak WS80, have made dramatic improvements in traction for acceleration, braking, and steering. However, AWD with winter tires is absolutely the most conservative approach to maximizing every bit of capability possible to help with getting a car moving (not braking/steering, however). I have not ever had a problem getting moving with rwd and winter tires, though, on maintained roads in Oakland County. In typical winter driving, I noticed very little difference between the two Benzes we had, one 4MATIC, one rwd. But, if you are going to be on unplowed secondary roads, the additional forward motion assist of awd may be useful.

I don't know offhand the weight difference from stick to automatic, and it should be minor, but it should be on the BMWUSA web site under "specifications". The more meaningful weight difference is the additional 150 or so pounds for awd.

Lastly, the choices speak for themselves. After six years, my stick rwd 2009 C Class was replaced by a stick rwd 2 Series and it's my daily driver in Michigan.

Last edited by Sportstick; 11-07-2014 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #103
yep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i ED June 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba83 View Post
Or northern Va , Dc area
Spent most of the past 8 years working in NOVA. I would NEVER buy a manual because of the nightmare it is driving one in D.C. traffic. Then again, D.C. traffic is a nightmare for everyone.

0 regrets on the automatic. Faster, more fuel efficient, better in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 04:31 AM   #104
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

This thread has been dormant for a while...was wondering if the many new owners had voted yet!

I was actually surprised the pool said more people went for the MT...doesn't seem that way from all the threads around here. Also, there are a bit more regrets on the auto...very few though!

I guess the conclusion is that no matter what you go found, you're bound to enjoy it!

I've always leaned towards the manual, even against such an incredible, wonderful auto, so I'll stick with it...I'm hoping I can order next week...pray for me!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 04:48 AM   #105
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

I just voted and found myself 1 of only 9 peeps who "went for the ZF8 and regret it"

It's a great auto box but I can only now imagine how great it would be to drive a nice car like M235i in manual
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:46 AM   #106
atxlos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i 6MT

Voted. Picked 6MT and zero regrets. Coming from an s2000, I love shifting, and the m235i's shifter is surprisingly enjoyable (compared to the s2k, most shifters feel rubbery to me).

That being said, the auto is nice, it's quick, but not for me
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #107
B.a.f
228i - 2015-03
France
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

After 42 years of MT driving including 30+ on board BMW's I switched to ZF8 and have no regret.
I drive a 228i with the Sport AT and had imagined I'll be using sequential/paddle mode all day long but finally I leave electronics do the job.
Being in France the Sport ZF option is not for free but the better mpg comes with a lower kg of CO2 per km which means a smaller pollution penalty tax (900 euros instead of 1600 with MT)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #108
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

8AT here with MT+paddles. Perhaps I am in a category all my own because I miss manual but do not regret my choice. I figured that if I was going to take a break from the MTs I've driven almost exclusively since I was 17, it might as well be with the best AT going and make no mistake, that smooth-shifting, ultra-responsive AT is a thing of beauty, especially with the THP in Sport and Sport + mode. I miss the precision you get with a clutch, i.e. the ability to engage traction at exactly the moment you want it, not a half second sooner or later. This is particularly noticeable when driving corners under power. The paddle-shift 6MT is impressive but no faster than the 8AT (slower, in fact) and I find it is best deployed in AT mode when you want to override the automatic gear selection for a quick burst of high torque, or you can see that a traffic light is about to change and you do not want to use throttle input to downshift. Having 8 gears ensures that you are in the high torque band in almost any situation and the throttle is so well calibrated for shifting. So, no regrets but some nostalgia and I will be ready to go back to an MT next time...if there are any available.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #109
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

To each there own. Apples and Oranges. I will option my cars with three-pedals for as long as they are offered as an option.
      05-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #110
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

This is my first manual car. I will never go back to snooze-o-matics.
Appreciate 0