THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Does it bother anyone not to have a temp gauge?

05-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #45
B.a.f
228i - 2015-03
France
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Sorry post error..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #46
B.a.f
228i - 2015-03
France
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

It would be nice to have oil temperature and pressure instead of the (stupid) power and torque in the "Sports Display" don't you think ?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 03:03 AM   #47
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

To the op. Not really. It was weird at first but after monitoring the oil temps through the secret menu during extreme conditions and seeing the temps stay very cool and stable... I have full confidence in the computer monitoring. If something gets too hot, it'll let you know. Before then, there's no information you really need. Welcome to the modern world. It's something to get used to and the sooner you come to terms with it, the better. Older thinkers will have trouble with that. If the n20 or n55 (with the updated cooling systems the 228 and 235 have. Different from 328s and 335s) start having overheating issues then I retract my position. But until then, the temps info is unnecessary in 98% of driving. And in all honesty, getting to the secret menu for the last 2% of driving is so easy it's a non issue. It's true though that it would be nice to have some indication to know when it's okay to get on it. But 10-15 minutes is sufficient.

Last edited by 2msport; 05-17-2015 at 03:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 03:58 AM   #48
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.a.f View Post
It would be nice to have oil temperature and pressure instead of the (stupid) power and torque in the "Sports Display" don't you think ?
The ideal setup would be to have one like Nissan does with their GTR. You can customize that screen to tell you nearly anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #49
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
As I stated earlier, buy or pass.

Every successful company has disgruntled customers, both current and former, that always feel somehow their "pet" company has lost their way somehow. You appear to fit in that category.
I don't really understand this position - "buy or pass." So we can't like the car, and have some criticisms at the same time?

I can't speak for the other posters, but I am not disgruntled with my purchase of the M235i. I just wish it had the gauges. That's all this thread is about.

I can ask the question this way - can anyone name another non-electric performance car that does not have a temp gauge?
      05-17-2015, 10:14 AM   #50
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
can anyone name another non-electric performance car that does not have a temp gauge?
No I can't, but BMW has a long history of adopting new approaches as the first carmaker in the world. Let's try and trust them with this one, too:

- in most cars (including older BMWs) water temperature has always been an idiot light, aimed at making the owner happy - not informed (in my E46 330i, once the temperature gauge's needle stood up, it never ever moved left or right)

- oil is another matter (current BMWs like F10 have oil temperature gauges instead of water's). So trust them even more and assume the ECU will only let us load the engine as much as is still safe at the current oil temperature.

Arghh... Was trying to be positive, but the second point above is obviously untrue - one can do the worst thing under the sun: raise rpm up to the red line even without any load, and with oil at - 20 C... So unfortunately, lack of the gauges (especially for oil temperature) has clearly been bookkeepers', not engineers', idea.

Two cars I had once that didn't have any engine temperature gauges:

- Suzuki Swift
- Fiat Seicento

Says a lot...
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #51
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

If someone is prone to immediately red-lining their engine upon startup, no amount of gauges is gonna make any difference. It just won't matter to them.

I tried to make it clear in my earlier comment regarding "buy or pass" that I've never owned a vehicle (and I've owned close to 100 vehicles in my 61 years) that I didn't find something I didn't like, but those dislikes were never enough to make me "pass" on the vehicles I purchased. OTOH, I have passed on a few vehicles because there was enough to dislike that it overcame my desire to buy the vehicle.

I think one subtle "nag factor" with the M235 is that it has "M" on it, and for some, that "M" automatically translates into an "M" vehicle, and due the complete and regal stature associated with true "M" cars.

BMW made it perfectly clear that the 235 was a "M Performance" vehicle, not a true member of the "M" tribe. This car is an attempt by BMW marketing to hook drivers into getting onto the "M"scene, ultimately where they'll purchase a real "M" car.

Can't you just hear the sales argument now?

"If you like driving an M235, imagine what it's like owning a true M car".

I knew this going in, but I wasn't trying to get that added performance. At 61, I've moved beyond those days. It's hard to compete with an agile driver 1/3 my age. I enjoy the car, and it's the last manual transmission car I think I'll ever own. IMO, it has the perfect mix of power and handling for the driving pleasure I expect to get out of it.

I'll say again..I don't need any information on the car's status to be displayed on the dash unless I can actively do something to cause input that may change that status. It's a distraction. Still, I'd like the gauges to be displayed, because after 45 years of driving, I'm rather used to seeing them.

I'd also like to see a true collision avoidance system on my 235 (yes, I ordered the car with every option, LOL), one like on my wife's Subaru Outback (Eyesight). The one on the 235 is far more of a collision alert system that tells you your car just collided with another vehicle, instead of actually taking control of the car and braking to avoid a collision, like the Subaru system does.

In the end, even that wasn't enough to to make me pass on the M235. My likes for the vehicle outweigh any dislikes I have for it, and I fully enjoy driving it every time I get behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 03:20 AM   #52
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

For those, who are interested in different engine data, like water temp, oil temp, trans temp, boost, HP, NM i highly suggest to use Awron display.
I have it in m y f13 M6, e92 335i and F22 2 series.
Only one side effect. If you use can bus integrated piggy-back device like JB14, Awron will be incompatibe and JB4 may have problems as well.
Appreciate 0