THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M2359 Test Drive - previous 135i owner

03-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

M2359 Test Drive - previous 135i owner

Had a brief, impromptu test drive this morning. Had planned to order the car late fall but was rear-ended in my DD last night and was dropping it off at the body shop, next door to my dealer. Figured I'd make lemonade and enjoy the morning.

I've owned E30 325ix, E46 330xi and E82 135i. Also plenty of drive time with E36 M3 and F12 M6. Currently own '14 X1 28i M-Sport.

I know I'll get flamed for this...but dare I say I wasn't all that impressed with the driver engagement of this car. It's an evolution of the E82, quieter, more compliant and refined...but not nearly as connected. No doubt I would find that inspiring drive with some more seat time, but this car didn't evoke the same emotion as did the E82.

The steering was light, but didn't really notice it beyond that. Turn in was great. Suspension absorbed road damage very well, but well-planted in corners...certainly inspired confidence. A compromise between sporting and touring. I did have issue with the E82 suspension being too hard for daily commute, I'm sure I would appreciate the more compliant ride over time.

I didn't have enough time to provide any fair assessments beyond this.

Note: This car was loaded 6sp, equipped with factory Run-flats.

I left with a few conclusions:
1) Clearly room for M2
2) CPO 135is could be the better buy
3) I'll wait to see what they do with the M2
Appreciate 0