THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW M2 engine of choice poll

View Poll Results: What is your engine of choice for the upcoming M2?
i4, and I won't buy an M2 otherwise 14 2.76%
I4, but I don't really care either way and I would consider an M2 regardless 69 13.58%
I6, but I don't really care either way and I would consider an M2 regardless 124 24.41%
I6 only for me. I ain't buying an M2 with anything else 301 59.25%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #309
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
129
Rep
3,897
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmcclane View Post
They M2 will be the new M3 and there's only one generation left before you can forget it forever when it becomes FWD. So make that last one right and put a damn S55 with 360 PS in it. A 4cyl. just would be a punch in the face of all the true BMW fans out there who are willing to buy one of these, a N58 would be acceptable but with lack of manners you would expect from a last true M. (M2 and M2GC)
I don't know about GC based on now current 2 Series, but be sure to find an I4 in the M2. This time BMW has time to develop it, so it will be a full M car with different purpose than the M4 with its I6. Only thing you can hope is that the M235i will get the new N58 I6, and not get an I4 too. Why an I4 by M? Because BMW Motorsport engines are based on BMW AG/BMW M engines (i.e. S54>P54, S65>P65,...). The BMW 320 TC (E90) uses the 1.6l I4 based on the MINI Cooper S JCW engine, N18, the race engine is the "same" as the MINI Countryman Cooper S WRC race car. What happened with the M3 DTM? There will come the new regulation and together the new M4 DTM powered this time by a new I4, as those are the new regulations set for 2015. This race engine is based on BMW's future I4. The Lexus RC-F, getting a NA V8 will also get according to the new Japanese regulations, only a 2.0l I4 Turbo in the Lexus RC-F GT500, DTM and GT500 regulations being very close, Lexus is could enter the DTM and compete against BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Remember the M3 E30 DTM with its I4.

Same story as M4 with I6 or V6, BMW finally decided to go I6 to power the M3, M4, X3 M and X4 M, not sure about Z3/Z3 M, the V6 will find its way in another car.
So here again M2 with I4 or I6, count on it being an I4, of course anything can change like it happened with the V6.

M2 with Race I4!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #310
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
36
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: BMW 1 Series
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I don't know about GC based on now current 2 Series, but be sure to find an I4 in the M2. This time BMW has time to develop it, so it will be a full M car with different purpose than the M4 with its I6. Only thing you can hope is that the M235i will get the new N58 I6, and not get an I4 too. Why an I4 by M? Because BMW Motorsport engines are based on BMW AG/BMW M engines (i.e. S54>P54, S65>P65,...). The BMW 320 TC (E90) uses the 1.6l I4 based on the MINI Cooper S JCW engine, N18, the race engine is the "same" as the MINI Countryman Cooper S WRC race car. What happened with the M3 DTM? There will come the new regulation and together the new M4 DTM powered this time by a new I4, as those are the new regulations set for 2015. This race engine is based on BMW's future I4. The Lexus RC-F, getting a NA V8 will also get according to the new Japanese regulations, only a 2.0l I4 Turbo in the Lexus RC-F GT500, DTM and GT500 regulations being very close, Lexus is could enter the DTM and compete against BMW, Mercedes and Audi. Remember the M3 E30 DTM with its I4.

Same story as M4 with I6 or V6, BMW finally decided to go I6 to power the M3, M4, X3 M and X4 M, not sure about Z3/Z3 M, the V6 will find its way in another car.
So here again M2 with I4 or I6, count on it being an I4, of course anything can change like it happened with the V6.

M2 with Race I4!
Really? A I4 for DTM 2015? ...that's some interessting fact when you look at the normal M cars but I still have hope for a I6 in the M2. A M2 Gran Coupé with a I6 would be MY perfect car... there's no alternative coming up, the next generation cars are getting worse, only downsizing and online connectivity counts and you get that if you want or not, oh and of course FWD in the next smaller BMWs. The competitors are not worth to mention in my eyes -if your priorities are different than mine, maybe you are going to see that otherwise.

M2 with M worth I6! No I6, no M2.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #311
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
129
Rep
3,897
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmcclane View Post
Really? A I4 for DTM 2015? ...that's some interessting fact when you look at the normal M cars but I still have hope for a I6 in the M2. A M2 Gran Coupé with a I6 would be MY perfect car... there's no alternative coming up, the next generation cars are getting worse, only downsizing and online connectivity counts and you get that if you want or not, oh and of course FWD in the next smaller BMWs. The competitors are not worth to mention in my eyes -if your priorities are different than mine, maybe you are going to see that otherwise.

M2 with M worth I6! No I6, no M2.
Why wait any longer, there is the M3 with I6 in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #312
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
322
Rep
1,120
Posts

Drives: E82M/F31 328XD
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montréal Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmcclane View Post
Really? A I4 for DTM 2015? ...that's some interessting fact when you look at the normal M cars but I still have hope for a I6 in the M2. A M2 Gran Coup with a I6 would be MY perfect car... there's no alternative coming up, the next generation cars are getting worse, only downsizing and online connectivity counts and you get that if you want or not, oh and of course FWD in the next smaller BMWs. The competitors are not worth to mention in my eyes -if your priorities are different than mine, maybe you are going to see that otherwise.

M2 with M worth I6! No I6, no M2.
Why wait any longer, there is the M3 with I6 in a few months.
Every body tell me the same problem with that is that they make it pretty expensive to get a 6cyl m car especially when a much cheaper m235i also has a 3.0 6cyl.
Plus not every body want a bigger coupe and the f22 look nicer than the f32. BMW always been known for their straight 6cyl why we can't have it on a top end 2 series? Knowing what BMW did in the last few year I'm sure that even with a s20 the car will be less than 150lbs lighter than the m235i.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #313
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
36
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: BMW 1 Series
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bavaria

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
Every body tell me the same problem with that is that they make it pretty expensive to get a 6cyl m car especially when a much cheaper m235i also has a 3.0 6cyl.
Plus not every body want a bigger coupe and the f22 look nicer than the f32. BMW always been known for their straight 6cyl why we can't have it on a top end 2 series? Knowing what BMW did in the last few year I'm sure that even with a s20 the car will be less than 150lbs lighter than the m235i.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 03:18 PM   #314
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
1345
Rep
3,308
Posts

Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
BMW always been known for their straight 6cyl why we can't have it on a top end 2 series?
BMW is certainly known for their I6 engines, but to say they've "always" been known for the I6 is a bit of a misstatement of the facts. BMW made a number of very successful I4 engines prior to the move to I6, which was necessitated by the gradual increase in weight we've seen in every production vehicle.
__________________
His: 2013 ///M3 - Interlagos Blue Black M-DCT
Hers: 2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #315
Ramos
Colonel
Ramos's Avatar
398
Rep
2,660
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: So-Cal

iTrader: (6)

Unfortunately I am now convinced that this is a done deal with an upcoming I4

Why? Three letters mentioned by Scott 26 .. X1M

Makes perfect sense that they want to use this motor for a couple different applications.

As for me, I will be happy with my 6 cylinder M235 with m performance LSD

I remain skeptical but open to be wowed by this 4 pot if they deliver something out of this world to justify going against the wishes of 84% of potential buyers.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #316
Jonjt
Lieutenant
23
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Unfortunately I am now convinced that this is a done deal with an upcoming I4

Why? Three letters mentioned by Scott 26 .. X1M

Makes perfect sense that they want to use this motor for a couple different applications.

As for me, I will be happy with my 6 cylinder M235 with m performance LSD

I remain skeptical but open to be wowed by this 4 pot if they deliver something out of this world to justify going against the wishes of 84% of potential buyers.
But at the same time, all the other 2 series cars will have I6 engines.

Past standards with the e30 M3 are moot IMO, because that car was a homologated race vehicle. The M2 isn't.

I see what you are saying but, I remain skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #317
scrammer
Lieutenant
scrammer's Avatar
Canada
189
Rep
515
Posts

Drives: 2015 X4 35i...2007 Z4M-R
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Kelowna BC - Canada

iTrader: (0)

Note that our friends at MB have already started the I4 journey with the CLA 45 AMG!
From a displacement of just 2 liters, the new AMG 2.0 liter 4-cylinder turbocharged engine generates 265 kW (360 hp), which represents a benchmark output of 133 kW (181 hp) per liter of engine displacement. It delivers 450 Nm of torque.

Further to the DTM discussion above by Levi we must remember why the current E9x M3 uses a 90-degree, four-litre V8 ... DTM!
The DTM is set to ditch V8 engines in favour of two-litre turbos within three seasons as part its drive to become a global formula.

The series has set a target of 2016 to go down the same route as Super GT in Japan, which next year will adopt small-capacity, direct-injection four-cylinder turbos for its GT500 class.

The revelation of the plans comes in the wake of rules accord signed with the Super GT organiser last October, under which the Japanese series is embracing the philosophy of the DTM regulations, and the firming up in March of plans for DTM America with a start date set for either 2015 or '16.

Hans-Werner Aufrecht, chairman of the DTM-organising ITR, told AUTOSPORT: "We want two-litre turbos in Europe and America, no question. We want the same regulations everywhere.

"The important point that all the manufacturers have accepted is cost reduction. This will allow them to run around the world with the same car and engine."

Aufrecht explained that the move away from V8s was also designed to mirror the downsizing of engines in the manufacturers' ranges of road cars.

The revelation will mean an end for the current breed of 90-degree, four-litre V8s, which date back to the rebirth of the series in 2000.

Last edited by scrammer; 11-09-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #318
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
5
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Romania

iTrader: (0)

NA engine or turbocharged, I would like it to be 2 litre 4 cylinder. Makes the M2 a bit more special than the rest of BMW lineup.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #319
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
1376
Rep
6,661
Posts

Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticamihai2003 View Post
NA engine or turbocharged, I would like it to be 2 litre 4 cylinder. Makes the M2 a bit more special than the rest of BMW lineup.
Maybe I'm missing your point, but since you can get every BMW with the 2.0L N20 except the i3, i8, 6er, 7er and X5/X6 and also the new Mini, a 2.0L four isn't exactly unique. Historically speaking, a 2.3L or 2.5L four would be great as it would tie into the E30 M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #320
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
5
Rep
102
Posts

Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Romania

iTrader: (0)

I was referring to an M car so 2 litre 4 cylinder would be a very different engine compared to n20 or b48 . I am only a Mini owner but after they put the 2 liter B48 in the new F56 cooper s and future JCW rather then the b38 1.5l 3 cylinder engine like the one in the i8 ,for me it became a deal breaker and this is why I am hoping the future M2 will get the engine it deserves . I know that classic m cars that had a 4 cylinder were 2.3 or 2.5 but nowadays the 4 cylinder benchmark should not be bigger in capacity than 2 liters.

Think of the Alfa Romeo 4c: it's a very good car but wouldn't have been so, even with the way it looks and all the carbon fiber construction unless it had the 4 cylinder engine. And that is only 1.8 liter. They say Alfa will upgrade the 4c every year, something like they do with the Nissan GTR. If that's the case in a couple of years the 4c will go past 300 hp for sure. With the car being under 1000kg, the 4c will become one of the best cars in the world( many reviews give the 4c less points because of the current engine) so what I'm saying is that 4 cylinder and a maximum of 2 liters is the way to go for "baby" sports cars and believe it or not "exclusive" sports cars like the i8.

This may well be an European thing but US customers should understand that BMW would not put an engine in any of their M cars unless it was a great engine and I am sure that if BMW makes a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine for the m2 , it will be a great one, exclusive and unique
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2 series convertible, 2 series coupe, 2 series gran coupe, 2-series forum, 2-series forums, 2014 2 series coupe, 2014 2-series, 2014 bmw 2 series, 2014 bmw 2 series coupe, 2015 2 series convertible, 2015 2-series, 2015 bmw 2 series, 2015 bmw 2 series coupe, 228i coupe, 228i forum, 228i forums, 235i coupe, bmw 2 series, bmw 2 series convertible, bmw 2 series coupe, bmw 2 series forums, bmw 2 series gran coupe, bmw 2-series forum, bmw 228i, bmw 228i coupe, bmw 228i forum, bmw 228i forums, bmw 235i coupe, bmw f22, bmw f22 forum, bmw f22 forums, bmw f23, bmw f23 forum, bmw f23 forums, bmw f24, bmw f26, bmw m2, bmw m2 engine, bmw m2 forum, bmw m2 forums, bmw m2 motor, bmw m235i, bmw m235i coupe, bmw m235i forum, bmw m235i forums, f22 228i, f22 235i, f22 forum, f22 forums, f23 forum, f23 forums, m2 engine, m2 forum, m2 forums, m2 motor, m235i, m235i coupe, m235i forum, m235i forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST