THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW could soon bring 1 Series sedan to US

08-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #23
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
BMW would likely take Sales crown with this model. However with the popularity of hot hatches in the US market, why isn't the RWD 1er making an appearance!?
Ummm, what?

"Hot hatches" do not sell well here. Never have. That's why we've never seen the 1 Series on these shores.

That's also why VW no longer offers the GTi in a 2-door. That's also why Subaru killed the 5-door WRX/STi. That's also why Mazda killed the 5-door Mazda3 AND the Mazdaspeed3. That's also why we don't get the Audi A1/S1 here, among several other 3-door or 5-door models. Shall I go on? 'Cause I can.

See my previous post. BMW exporting this car here would be the same heresy as M-B exporting the X-Class -- worse, IMHO.

Build it in Europe or the U.S.? Maybe. Build it in China or (in the case of the M-B) Argentina? Hay-ell nawww.
Appreciate 2
BALL3N69.50
DeeKay553.00
      08-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #24
MSups6
Banned
Rep
Drives: Supra, Former Msport 435

Ohh BMW just create a sub brand, or buy one from GM lol. A small car suv and crossover would be the perfect start.

Brand is all you got, why why why water it down.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #25
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Joe View Post
Why would you buy a BMW 1 series in FWD when you could just buy a well optioned out mini for less
Because it is, wait for it... Mini !
Hate to tell you but the x1 BMW is also a mini. Share the same chassis, engine and interior.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #26
Chicken_Joe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport. EB 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI View Post
Quote:
Why would you buy a BMW 1 series in FWD when you could just buy a well optioned out mini for less
Mainly because of the Blue and White Roundel and not the wings...

I've had two minis in my life, 2006 and a 2011. Still to this day a vast majority of Americans have no idea Mini is owned by BMW.

It's all about the brand, nobody cares what they can get and for what. If it has a German badge they feel rich.

I've been to a few Cars and Coffees, the cockiness of the guys (and gals) driving the CLA is astonishing.
Same here buddy my mom has a 2003 Cooper 5 speed and later a 2010 Cooper S Mayfair and they were both great. Albeit the turbo mini was a bit of a pain but the Og one was a lot of fun as well. People just don't understand like you said and would rather buy a Base 320 xJive just so they can have a blue and white badge. CLA owner are historical.
13' 335i M Sport. EBII/Coral Red 6MT. RPI GT exhaust, Resonator delete, PS1, GFB DV , BM3 Stage 2, ER CP, VRSF DP, VRSF 5.5in Stepped FMIC, Dinan Shockware. Carbon M Performance rear diffuser. M4 trunk lip. Conti DWS06 225/40/19 and 255/35/19
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #27
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Ummm, what?

"Hot hatches" do not sell well here. Never have. That's why we've never seen the 1 Series on these shores.

That's also why VW no longer offers the GTi in a 2-door. That's also why Subaru killed the 5-door WRX/STi. That's also why Mazda killed the 5-door Mazda3 AND the Mazdaspeed3. That's also why we don't get the Audi A1/S1 here, among several other 3-door or 5-door models. Shall I go on? 'Cause I can.

See my previous post. BMW exporting this car here would be the same heresy as M-B exporting the X-Class -- worse, IMHO.

Build it in Europe or the U.S.? Maybe. Build it in China or (in the case of the M-B) Argentina? Hay-ell nawww.
Small hatches are gaining a mini renaissance it seems recently. The Golf/GTI/R do pretty well. Mazda3 5 door is still a thing (though they lopped off the D pillar so it's basically just the sedan with a liftback trunk). Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Civic Si, Civic Type R, Fiat 500/Abarth...

Honestly I felt like I saw more 5 door WRX/STi of the last gen than the sedan version, so I don't know why they killed it off for the current gen.
Appreciate 2
goj2251.50
      08-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #28
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Quote:
BMW would likely take Sales crown with this model. However with the popularity of hot hatches in the US market, why isn't the RWD 1er making an appearance!?
Ummm, what?

I should clarify. They would take the Sales crown with a front wheel drive 1 series to rival the CLA and A3.

Hot hatches are popular right now, I see GTI's Focus STs and Minis everywhere.

The rwd 1er would blow away the Sales of the 3 and 5 GT. Literally no one wants those
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #29
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Quote:
Ummm, what?

Small hatches are gaining a mini renaissance it seems recently. The Golf/GTI/R do pretty well. Mazda3 5 door is still a thing (though they lopped off the D pillar so it's basically just the sedan with a liftback trunk). Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Civic Si, Civic Type R, Fiat 500/Abarth...

Honestly I felt like I saw more 5 door WRX/STi of the last gen than the sedan version, so I don't know why they killed it off for the current gen.
'Do pretty well' is not a renaissance. None of those models are even close to sales leaders in their respective model lines.

Why, for instance, did Honda wait an entire model year to bring the 3-door Civic hatch to the U.S.? Because the four-door model sells leaps and bounds more units. Across the spectrum to the 'cheapies': Why did Chevy do the same thing with the Cruze hatch? 'Cause Chevy knew it wouldn't matter in the larger scheme.

And last time I checked, Fiat/Abarth 500s were easily available new for below invoice. Invoice! You think that's happening because they're doing 'pretty well'?

That's beside the fact that cars in general are losing market share here: 3-door, 4-door, 5-door, whatever-door. The Camry isn't even the best-selling four-door vehicle anymore. That is now the Nissan Rogue -- an SUV. Guess what's second? The Toyota RAV4.

Please check you facts.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #30
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Quote:
This right here, this is the end goal.

I don't know about you guys but I'm ready for the current CEO to be ousted. All these changes internally, and then publicly saying BMW is no longer looking to have the most cars sold;and then things like this come out....

It's starting to feel like BMW is looking to make their money on volume rather then high profit vehicles (Ms) 5ers and up!

MSDs-maintenance- European delivery discount decrease ( writing is on the wall with that program) it just feels like BMW is loosing their direction and their base. We already know they have to many models and model variants.

I wish the bean counters could figure out why the world has gone goo goo for the M2...it's not the GTs, the 1er or the ///M logo in front of the numbers. It's driving experience. With each new model it seems like it gets further and further away from the ultimate driving machine.

BMWs brand is already starting to erode, it's not to long before it's gone.

Of course we're all enthusiasts here that care about the brand. We make up .1 of the population. 99.99% of Americans will swarm to the 1er. And most of them will come with their shit credit, maxed out cards and get to drive away thinking they are ballers for saying they have a "BMW"

It's time for a change at BMW.

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 2
      08-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post

I'll take a Ford Focus RS any day over a FWD BMW 1er. Just sayin'

BMW will have to import it from China to even be near the Ford Focus RS price point. Keep in mind the 1er was designed for the Chinese market and would need extensive modification to make it compliant to US DOT/EPA regs.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #32
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan99 View Post
Why tf would they make it FWD? What is the reasoning behind this? Why not make it RWD or AWD? Is it FWD in China? IF SO, why is it FWD in China?
FWD has tons of advantages. Cheaper to make, lighter, fewer parts, better fuel economy, better interior packaging. It's why so many other cars are FWD.
Appreciate 3
Ishan99114.00
DeeKay553.00
      08-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #33
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CirrusSR22 View Post
Quote:
Why tf would they make it FWD? What is the reasoning behind this? Why not make it RWD or AWD? Is it FWD in China? IF SO, why is it FWD in China?
FWD has tons of advantages. Cheaper to make, lighter, fewer parts, better fuel economy, better interior packaging. It's why so many other cars are FWD.
Interesting. How is it performance wise though?
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #34
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
I would love to see a 2er Grand Coupe... make an ///M version too... maybe. The 1 is pretty small but I guess close to the A3.

So I have lived in the U.S for 14 years now and there really is no love for hatchbacks.... would love to understand why. It's weird that Europe loves a hatchback! UK loves a hot hatch... I think the 3 door 1 looks good... just my opinion.
      08-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #35
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Come on guys, don't be total fanbois, how's the performance on the Civic Type R? $34k
      08-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #36
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercar View Post
Everyone wants a german badge with fwd and runflats!
Badge whore for sure
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #37
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Or a3.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2017, 10:38 PM   #38
Ishan99
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mPlasticDesign View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Come on guys, don't be total fanbois, how's the performance on the Civic Type R? $34k
I have a legitimate question...... the sarcasm doesn't help
Follow @Black_Lux_Cars on IG
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #39
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Relax everyone, the rumor is wrong.
Appreciate 3
mkoesel7505.50
JTO245246.50
      08-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #40
Joe S
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've had two minis in my life, 2006 and a 2011. Still to this day a vast majority of Americans have no idea Mini is owned by BMW.

It's all about the brand, nobody cares what they can get and for what. If it has a German badge they feel rich.

I've been to a few Cars and Coffees, the cockiness of the guys (and gals) driving the CLA is astonishing.
Same here buddy my mom has a 2003 Cooper 5 speed and later a 2010 Cooper S Mayfair and they were both great. Albeit the turbo mini was a bit of a pain but the Og one was a lot of fun as well. People just don't understand like you said and would rather buy a Base 320 xJive just so they can have a blue and white badge. CLA owner are historical.
The Cla 45 is a great all wheel drive car for everyday driving and I have both the CLA 45 and BMW m3 (e92)
      08-11-2017, 01:12 AM   #41
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Because it is, wait for it... Mini !
Hate to tell you but the x1 BMW is also a mini. Share the same chassis, engine and interior.
Platform only
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
Encanto1161.00
      08-11-2017, 01:14 AM   #42
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Cla 45 is a great all wheel drive car for everyday driving and I have both the CLA 45 and BMW m3 (e92)
Yes but optioned out it runs close to 70k and that is a complete rip off.
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
      08-11-2017, 03:20 AM   #43
KSERGEI-BY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 tdi DCT

Quote:
Not true.
B48 is a brand new engine, designed for the entire BMW line. It is not anything like N20 (aka prince engine).
      08-11-2017, 04:33 AM   #44
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

BMW would be stupid to bring that to the US. FWD ~$30k car with nothing much to offer and wants to nickel and dime you to death for basic ass things like bluetooth and GPS. The competition out there from the USDM, let alone others, would crush the 1er. The only people that would care are brand whores. Just being real.
Appreciate 0