THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW Raised Carrier Bars for 230i

10-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #1
Ivanz0709
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

BMW Raised Carrier Bars for 230i

Winter season is coming and I'm start shopping for the raised carrier bars that can carry both of my snowboards since the 230i interior space are very limited and I do not want to scratch my car.

Any recommendation from anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

BMW cross bars are the best option for my money. They fit into the brackets incorporated into the roof rails. I've used the BMW system previously on an E92 and an F10, plan to do the same with my F22. (Craftily, they make sure the bar sets are not cross-compatible between models.) http://www.googleadservices.com/page...QvhcIOA&adurl=
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
MartyMcFly88MPH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix

Can the bars be removed really quickly and easily? I really don't want a roof rack but might also need to go down this path.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly88MPH View Post
Can the bars be removed really quickly and easily? I really don't want a roof rack but might also need to go down this path.
I would not use the word "quickly or easily" - it's a straight forward installation but each cross bar is held down by a bolt on each side which mount into the roof gutter, then you will need to mount your ski rack onto the rails (which is another 4-8 bolts). You usually can't rush the job because one hasty wrench turn and you're going to scratch the paint on your roof.

If you wanted to do it once a year in the spring and put it on again in winter, it would be manageable but I wouldn't expect to be yanking them off each time you wash the car, or every trip - but again that takes into account your threshold for working on your car in cold weather.
      10-12-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Ivanz0709
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I would not use the word "quickly or easily" - it's a straight forward installation but each cross bar is held down by a bolt on each side which mount into the roof gutter, then you will need to mount your ski rack onto the rails (which is another 4-8 bolts). You usually can't rush the job because one hasty wrench turn and you're going to scratch the paint on your roof.

If you wanted to do it once a year in the spring and put it on again in winter, it would be manageable but I wouldn't expect to be yanking them off each time you wash the car, or every trip - but again that takes into account your threshold for working on your car in cold weather.
Thank you for the info, and you're correct, I'm also worry of the scratch but I can't expect too much with all the turns to the mountain.

Do you have the part info for the ski rack that goes to the rails?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanz0709 View Post
Thank you for the info, and you're correct, I'm also worry of the scratch but I can't expect too much with all the turns to the mountain.

Do you have the part info for the ski rack that goes to the rails?
Ski racks are "universal" - go to any of your favorite stores and find one that meets your needs. They come in different widths if you need to accomodate more skis/boards and have some different features (ability to lock with a key, etc).
      10-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Faster but more cumbersome on and off if you leave the racks attached to the load bar. Do yourself a favor and pick up something like this for whatever side you aren't working on. Removing for instance do one side, slip into cover, then do other side and remove. Cheap insurance to minimize risk of scratching paint as you move everything around.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018X...RkL&ref=plSrch
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Ivanz0709
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Faster but more cumbersome on and off if you leave the racks attached to the load bar. Do yourself a favor and pick up something like this for whatever side you aren't working on. Removing for instance do one side, slip into cover, then do other side and remove. Cheap insurance to minimize risk of scratching paint as you move everything around.

Perfect, I will search around, for some reason the link is showing me of a travel bag, may be my phone is acting weird...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanz0709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post

Perfect, I will search around, for some reason the link is showing me of a travel bag, may be my phone is acting weird...
That's right I had something like that laying around and just used it. Don't think you need anything special, and doubt they make something specifically for what I'm describing. Zipper is nice bc you can tighten it down but literally anything would do just need something to cover. Many years and many cars ago I learned the hard way.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
BMW cross bars are the best option for my money. They fit into the brackets incorporated into the roof rails. I've used the BMW system previously on an E92 and an F10, plan to do the same with my F22. (Craftily, they make sure the bar sets are not cross-compatible between models.) http://www.googleadservices.com/page...QvhcIOA&adurl=
Anyone have a picture of this installed?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #11
Ivanz0709
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
Anyone have a picture of this installed?

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
Saberwalk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 RWD DCT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly88MPH View Post
Compared to the Thule aero bar system, which I have, absolutely yes. As noted above, after you install the first time, the bolts on the cross bar screw in relatively easily. The thule system, in contrast goes like this:

1: screw in the separate bolts.
2: Install the cross racks onto the bolts
3: Add washers to each bolt-careful, you can drop and lose them easily (guess how I know)
4: fasten nut on each bolt-careful, you can drop and lose them easily (guess how I know)
5: attach plastic cover with lock.

Really thought I was getting a better system to the BMW cross bars. They look sleeker and sit lower on the roof, but it is a pain installing and removing.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #13
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwalk View Post
Compared to the Thule aero bar system, which I have, absolutely yes. As noted above, after you install the first time, the bolts on the cross bar screw in relatively easily. The thule system, in contrast goes like this:

1: screw in the separate bolts.
2: Install the cross racks onto the bolts
3: Add washers to each bolt-careful, you can drop and lose them easily (guess how I know)
4: fasten nut on each bolt-careful, you can drop and lose them easily (guess how I know)
5: attach plastic cover with lock.
The BMW rack is made by Tule. The main difference is the washers stay on the bolts and you never have to worry about them falling off.

You should attach the ski rack once and leave it on the rack when you take it off.

It takes less than five minutes after the initial install to put the rack on or take it off.

I use my rack for hauling road bikes. It is always off unless I am going to a ride with my wife. The installed rack will lower your gas mileage.

Really thought I was getting a better system to the BMW cross bars. They look sleeker and sit lower on the roof, but it is a pain installing and removing.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I use a bumper hitch on my X3 to transport my bikes. No scratch worries, no bike carriers for the 228ix. Always remember to put a reminder in your vehicle in close proximity to your field of vision that bikes are on the roof. A friend of mine didn't and drove into his garage with 2 roof mounted bikes. It was ugly!!!
Appreciate 0