THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum My dealer ordered me run flats.

04-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
My dealer ordered me run flats.

My M235i order is at the dock in Germany for shipping but I just realized my dealer ordered run flats on it. I looked over the order sheet when I ok'd it but didn't catch it then, so it was my bad that I didn't see it. What should I do?

It may be a bit more complicated too. I'm doing the PCD in Spartanburg, so I will not be picking up the car at the dealership and will have a few hundred miles on the tires by the time I get back to the dealership.
      04-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Id tell the dealership thats not what you asked for and ask them to give you the tires when your back from the PCD. not sure if they'll do it but its a potential option.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
golf4501
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfordbay View Post
My M235i order is at the dock in Germany for shipping but I just realized my dealer ordered run flats on it. I looked over the order sheet when I ok'd it but didn't catch it then, so it was my bad that I didn't see it. What should I do?

It may be a bit more complicated too. I'm doing the PCD in Spartanburg, so I will not be picking up the car at the dealership and will have a few hundred miles on the tires by the time I get back to the dealership.
That sucks, because it also means you got all-seasons and the lower speed limiter. Not sure why dealers keep doing this, the system must be real goofy to use because it almost happened to my order as well (Luckily I noticed it and corrected). Sounds like you need to work with your dealer for resolution though, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Try to see if you can get them changed at the port.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #5
showtime81
Rep
Drives: Car

I have a post about this in the Ordering section of this forum and am still dealing with my dealer about it. Fortunately I caught it right off the bat, and don't have a production number yet. I think dealers are just really confused thinking that all BMWs come with run flat tires. Even BMW Customer Service told me this was the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Question. Will the performance difference of the run flats be noticeable in everyday driving conditions on the road or would I have to take it to the track to truly feel the difference?

Has anyone had an experience with both back to back? :
      04-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
showtime81
Rep
Drives: Car

I have never used the BMW Run Flats, but on my current car, a Nissan 370Z, I have the Michelin PSSs (the standard M235i tire), and they are by far the best tires I've ever used. When I switched to these from the "OEM High Performance tires" it was like night and day. They grip like nobody's business.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:

If you're doing PCD then you'll probably be able to do your own back to back comparison as I'm sure they'll have a PSS equipped M235 for you for your "on track" fun. Then you'll drive yours away and although you'll be on the road and a little slower, you'll experience the difference. There are tons of threads, particularly on the 3er forums where owners replaced their run flats with real tires so research those for best results.

You've got a good case to have your dealer replace the run flats for PSS's so I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Not your problem that there'll be mileage on them either. Check with your dealer tech to see if the speed limiter default might just be a programming issue that BMW can deal with via a flash upgrade. It's certainly not a physical or mechanical fix if they try to claim that.

Good luck and kudos on the new car.
      04-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
How do you guys check if they order the wrong options etc??
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #10
oscr972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 4/16/14 ED AW/Terra

There is a big difference between the two types of tires. Insist on the PSS. When I got my current car (e92 328) the first thing I did was put on PSS. I recently put the runflats back on as I near lease end and they pale in comparison.

My dealer also initially ordered my M235 with runflats.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

If you order an m235i with the cold weather package does it come with run flats automatically? As a side note, its odd they offer heated seats for $500 and the cold weather package with heated steering wheel for only $50 more. For that difference I will order the cold weather package...provided they don't put on run flats by default.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #12
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco4me View Post
If you order an m235i with the cold weather package does it come with run flats automatically? As a side note, its odd they offer heated seats for $500 and the cold weather package with heated steering wheel for only $50 more. For that difference I will order the cold weather package...provided they don't put on run flats by default.
Run flats and cold weather package are unrelated and not tied together.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
You've got a good case to have your dealer replace the run flats for PSS's so I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Not your problem that there'll be mileage on them either.
What exactly is the good case? The OP said he reviewed the build sheet and okay'd it with the run-flats unintentionally. How's it not his problem if there's mileage on them either. I'm just not seeing how that is a good case to force the dealer to replace tires with several hundred miles on them with new ones. If they do it, that'd be a good will gesture, especially since they had him look over the build sheet.

I know I checked my build sheet many times and occasionally review it just to make sure I didn't screw anything up b/c I couldn't expect the dealer to help me out if I signed off on something.

To be honest, he could probably recoup a good chunk of the price of those runflats by selling them off. Michelin PSS is less expensive than runflats so it probably wouldn't cost too much to do a swap.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #14
Scotlac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Yeah, now I'm starting to get paranoid too. Would this show up on the My BMW site or do you have to look at the original order?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 12:14 AM   #15
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotlac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Yeah, now I'm starting to get paranoid too. Would this show up on the My BMW site or do you have to look at the original order?
Ask your CA for the build sheet. If the RTFs don't show up on it, you'll be fine. There should be no mention of the tires on the build sheet as the PSS tires are std.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #16
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Re: the difference, there is NO comparison. I mean, you are talking a top of the line performance tire from the best tire manufacturer in the world, vs run flats. Demand this be resolved.
      04-11-2014, 01:59 AM   #17
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Question. Will the performance difference of the run flats be noticeable in everyday driving conditions on the road or would I have to take it to the track to truly feel the difference?

YES! Get rid of the Run Flats they are just Terrible!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #18
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:

Yes, the difference is huge. This is a fight worth taking.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
bungee91
Private
Rep
Drives: Wife's F80 Y.M.B. 6MT

My dealer originally had mine wrong when inputting the order from what I sent him to the system, but I fortunately caught it.

I don't think the difference is "huge" but I prefer without.
I had Michelin PSS's on my Z4 ///M and recently had Potenza RE05A's (I believe that is what you will get) on my ATS and I thought both were fantastic handling tires. I would certainly prefer the PSS's (and hence why I chose them), but I thought the Potenza's were very good grippy and responsive tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

A couple of questions for the members, please, as I've not dealt with run flats before:

1) Everyone skipping out on RFTs, are you just playing the odds that you won't be stuck with a flat somewhere? Do you carry a minispare loosely in your trunk?

2) For the PSS fans, do you all live in places where it's above 40 F long enough throughout the year to make it worthwhile? When the temp gets in the 40's, it's certainly time to give up summer tires! I always run all-seasons so I can use them for most of the year until winter (Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ or now AS3).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
A couple of questions for the members, please, as I've not dealt with run flats before:

1) Everyone skipping out on RFTs, are you just playing the odds that you won't be stuck with a flat somewhere? Do you carry a minispare loosely in your trunk?

2) For the PSS fans, do you all live in places where it's above 40 F long enough throughout the year to make it worthwhile? When the temp gets in the 40's, it's certainly time to give up summer tires! I always run all-seasons so I can use them for most of the year until winter (Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ or now AS3).

Thanks!
1. Yes, playing the odds. Either rely on roadside assistance or have some fix-a-flat for your usual flats. Sidewall puncture and you're just plain screwed. I carry fix-a-flat and an air compressor in the car. Other than that it's a gamble.

2) I have about 9 good months a year. The other three are crap. I have run PSS the past 3 winters on my E90. It was not a smart decision, but it's not as bad as they make it seem where if the temperature is low, you're screwed. I have driven in under 10 degree weather consistently this winter with PSS and been just fine. Now, if there is even a dusting of snow on the ground, you're worthless. Ice and you're worthless too. For those days, it was on to public transportation for me.

Supposedly the newest generation of runflats are not bad at all and are way improved over the older ones that everyone hates. For me the complaint was the harshness of the ride on Bridgestone runflats but on the Michelins that was greatly improved, even with Michelin runflats. All seasons aren't a bad thing at all and are probably worth giving a shot again if they're on your car before dismissing them entirely. I'm pretty sure most people here who are dismissing those all season runflats haven't even tried them on the 2 series yet (including myself), so they may be just fine.

Last edited by five3three; 04-11-2014 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #22
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Same story here.. when I first placed the order for my M235i the dealer mistakenly had added the all-season option with RFTs (I noticed on my build sheet a few days after). They would not budge claiming that all BMW's come standard with runflats (which I suppose is true)... except for M's. This was "not" an M so it -had- to come with runflats. Ended up proving them wrong after going back and forth with them 2 times over the phone and finally just coming in and straightening it out.
Appreciate 0